The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
morgangills
You lot seemed to have missed the key irony here.....religon is BULLS**T

Oh, right. Someone call the Pope, we've got news for him! Surprise!
John82

Did anyone watch This Week [best political programme on TV] on Thursday? They had the runner-up from The Apprentice on. She is a moderate Muslim and suggested that if the extremists don't like it in Britain, they should leave. If anyone remebers her from The Apprentice, then you know how convincing she can be - definately the sort of person moderate Muslims need to speak up for them.

I saw it and thought she was absolutely brilliant. It's the first time I've seen a Muslim on TV saying that extremists should leave Britain if they don't like and she said that if the BNP protested and advocated the death of Muslims they'd all be arrested, but because Muslims protest and advocate death of Brits they are left alone. Absolutely correct, but I'm sure nobody from MAB will acknowledge this fact.
Reply 42
Agent Smith
Oh, this is the 4,000-strong MCB-organised protest. How stories grow in the telling.

And actually, Cardiff University's student magazine published one of the cartoons as part of its article on the dispute. The editor was, of course, fired.

Personally I would have fired him for having the earth-shakingly unfunny pun "What's Allah Fuss About" as the title, but that's another story.

Has anyone actually posted the Cartoons on TSR yet, I'm tempted to if not, just to see if it's tolerated.
Reply 43
I've seen the cartoons through TSR, no where else, someone even has one as his avatar.
Reply 44
Nightowl
I've seen the cartoons through TSR, no where else, someone even has one as his avatar.

Good effort on freespeech.

The fact of the matter is that the cartoons aren't good or funny, but because people say they shouldn't be published because it takes free speechto far merely gives weight to the argument for their republication.
I am ABSOLUTELY SICK TO DEATH of hearing about this. Yet more attention seeking from muslim extremists. They don't want their faith to be isolated?? They think the rest of the world is victimising them?
Try NOT getting the world's attention by causing chaos over something ridiculous.
Has anyone seen 'The life of Brian'? That was a FILM dedicated to taking the piss out of Catholics. I have a copy of Viz in my room which contains a cartoon of Jesus deicted as a heroin addict! Can you imagine if we all reacted like this?

The end of the world over a ****ing cartoon.
Get over it. Please.
Agent Smith
Oh, this is the 4,000-strong MCB-organised protest. How stories grow in the telling.

And actually, Cardiff University's student magazine published one of the cartoons as part of its article on the dispute. The editor was, of course, fired.

Personally I would have fired him for having the earth-shakingly unfunny pun "What's Allah Fuss About" as the title, but that's another story.

My friend at Cardiff university rang me to tell me. She said the police and security guards were making people hand them over to them and they were quickly disposed of which is of course illegal and morally disgusting.
Reply 47
little_red_sox
I am ABSOLUTELY SICK TO DEATH of hearing about this. Yet more attention seeking from muslim extremists. They don't want their faith to be isolated?? They think the rest of the world is victimising them?
Try NOT getting the world's attention by causing chaos over something ridiculous.
Has anyone seen 'The life of Brian'? That was a FILM dedicated to taking the piss out of Catholics. I have a copy of Viz in my room which contains a cartoon of Jesus deicted as a heroin addict! Can you imagine if we all reacted like this?

Get over it. Please.

Unfortunately in a community where sex is a taboo word and people arent even allowed to mix with each other freely, its easy to offend.
Spam-mi-am
You're right that they haven't been published in Britain. I think the point is that it's also a march against Islamophobia in general, something that has been stirred up thanks to extremist muslims with slogans like "Massacre those who insult Islam", as well as a march expressing that such cartoons internationally insult those of the Muslim faith whereever they are published.

If they want to stop Islamophobia why don't they actually protest against extremists who advocate killing innocent people!!! I didn't see ONE sign on the news today saying something like "7/7 not in my name" or "we heart Europe" or anything that basically discredits what the extremists said last week! Also, the vast majority of British people support the right of these cartoons to be published, even if (as I do) some people think they are in poor taste. Therefore the best way for Muslims to discourage hatred of Islam is to stop protesting over cartoons that the British people think were entitled to be published and stop their gross overreaction.
_jackofdiamonds
Why would they march in London? We haven't published cartoons, have we? Why don't they go and march in Copenhagen?

Perhaps cos they know that they could do whatsoever they wish since Britain has a widely held a reputation of being a SOFT TOUCH :biggrin:
ArthurOliver
The "moderate" Muslims today are marching to demand that non-Muslims submit to Islamic laws, as regards respecting the prophet. Very moderate.

Abu Hamza speaks for a quarter of British Muslims. At least about the things which Hamza speaks about--the death of the West, the perfidy of Jews and Christians, the use of violence to overthrow democracy and pluralism, British Muslims agree with him substantially.

http://www.populuslimited.com/poll_s...2_07_times.htm

The excuse Muslim liars will use, is the excuse they always use, that the poll is too small, unrepresentative, real Muslims don't agree with Hamza, he's not a real Muslim,...

All these excuses look like obvious lies when you look to how Muslim majority populations, dozens of them across the globe, choose to live. Hamza is representative. His Islam is the normal, majority, historic and current Islam. His is the Islam of Conqueror Muhammed. Islam has not changed.

The moderates and extremists have the same aim, conquering the non-Muslim world. They shouldn't have freedom to live among peoples they would conquer and subjugate, never mind the freedom to call other Jihadists to arms, or to persuade their infidel enemies to disarm--the role of "moderate" Muslims. The demonstrators today are just as bad as Hamza in my book.

How ruthless of you to tar the entire Muslim population with the same brush. Afterall, that's JUST a minority :rolleyes:

>> Thousands of Muslims in countries in Asia, Africa & Europe have been busy burning embassies, flags & whatnot.
>> Hundreds enjoying their recreational hobby of suicide bombings
>> Others couldn't stop rabbiting on with their never-ending list of complaints, fatwas, jihads & whatnot
>> Many fancy a career in being a Martyr in their nearest future
>> Several others calling for murders, beheading & death of non-believers, IN the country they live in & AGAINST the people within

>> Shabina Begum quite fancy the idea of receiving SPECIAL TREATMENT by bending the rules (like Beckham bends the ball) by seeing herself ABOVE THE LAW, saying her "human rights" was violented when not allowed to wear whatever tickled her fancy :rolleyes: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4679058.stm)

Still they are often PERCEIVED by the so-called "moderate Muslims" as JUST a bleeding MINORITY :rolleyes:

Problem is NEITHER with the religion itself, NOR with its followers, but the way, such a situation gets perceived, as if its being perceived by some pea-sized intellect :rolleyes:
John82
When 100,000 Muslims march in protest of a cartoon in a foreign newspaper, is it any wonder that Islam gets the reputation of being an extremist religion?

Just a thought.

On a more serious note I'm glad that (moderate) Muslims are beginning to stand up against the extremists within their faith. I think it is a necessary step as much of the Islamic extremism could be solved by the Muslim community itself. If the young, perhaps desperate, Muslims can hear the moderate voice of Islam it is less likely they will be brainwashed by the extremist version of Islam.

Did anyone watch This Week [best political programme on TV] on Thursday? They had the runner-up from The Apprentice on. She is a moderate Muslim and suggested that if the extremists don't like it in Britain, they should leave. If anyone remebers her from The Apprentice, then you know how convincing she can be - definately the sort of person moderate Muslims need to speak up for them.

Sooooooooo, the "moderate" sorts have FINALLY taken a trouble to speak against extremist. Now, that's a fan-BLOODY-tastic news & let just hope for some ACTION, since I'm MORE of a believer of action as opposed to the empty words :biggrin:
Reply 52
Greyhound02
If they want to stop Islamophobia why don't they actually protest against extremists who advocate killing innocent people!!! I didn't see ONE sign on the news today saying something like "7/7 not in my name" or "we heart Europe" or anything that basically discredits what the extremists said last week! Also, the vast majority of British people support the right of these cartoons to be published, even if (as I do) some people think they are in poor taste.

Fair enougth point, I was merely repeating the (supposed) official line of the organizers. And yes, I do support the right to publish the cartoons even though they were in bad taste.
Therefore the best way for Muslims to discourage hatred of Islam is to stop protesting over cartoons that the British people think were entitled to be published and stop their gross overreaction

It is an over-reaction but, again, I support there right to do it peacefully. It's the extremists who tarnish the image of Islam, not the peaceful moderates (however much I disagree with their religious principles).
Reply 53
j4mes_bond25
Sooooooooo, the "moderate" sorts have FINALLY taken a trouble to speak against extremist. Now, that's a fan-BLOODY-tastic news & let just hope for some ACTION, since I'm MORE of a believer of action as opposed to the empty words :biggrin:

What sort of action?
little_red_sox

Get over it. Please.

Feelings are mutual, EXCEPT that I'm not "sick to death" but I'm "sick as a parrot" :biggrin:
Reply 55
I apologize for using the Daily Mail (I don't read it normally, honest!!!) as a source for this, but apparently the MAB (who organized today's farce) have extremely close links to muslim extremists:

From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=376861&in_page_id=1770

The Muslim campaigners behind a mass rally in Trafalgar Square today have close links to Islamic terror groups, the Daily Mail can reveal.

Despite promoting itself as the 'moderate' voice of Islam, the Muslim Association of Britain includes a former military commander of Hamas, the Palestinian organisation behind dozens of suicide bombings in Israel.....

"moderate voice"? And there they were today...protesting about 'freedom'.
Spam-mi-am
What sort of action?

Casting someone like Omar Kayham (suicide bomber protestor & a convict drug dealer) aside could be a stepping stone, since Islam is a "peaceful" religion (so no place for an imitator of suicide bomber) & alcohol & drugs are NOT permitted in Islam (so no place for a convicted drug dealer) :biggrin:
Reply 57
j4mes_bond25
Casting someone like Omar Kayham (suicide bomber protestor & a convict drug dealer) aside could be a stepping stone, since Islam is a "peaceful" religion (so no place for an imitator of suicide bomber) & alcohol & drugs are NOT permitted in Islam (so no place for a convicted drug dealer) :biggrin:

I believe he has already been reimprisoned.
Reply 58
For those who don't already know;

The cartoon is a staged psy-op, designed to inflame muslims, making them appear all angry and "terrorist" like for the cameras. The cartoons were released last year in Egypt...
Nightowl
I believe he has already been reimprisoned.

He sure has been.

But if the followers of his religion are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO passionate about their religion that they are willing to burn things to cinder & protest every day, after someone has "insulted" their religion, by depecting their Prophet (which is NOT allowed in their religion), then surely, casting this individual aside from the community shouldn't be a big deal, I should imagine :biggrin: (afterall, EVEN he's "insulted" Islam by being a dealer of "drugs", since that's NOT allowed in their religion, either) :rolleyes:

Latest