Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mitz transforms

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So, committed to the transformation thread at last.

Aiming to cut BF% as a primary goal, never really been lean in my life, but a long shot off of the 210lbs and 35% bf I once was, I'd estimate currently sitting somewhere between 20-25% bf, not too bothered about specifics.

Going to try and get as lean as I can, this week will start by reducing cals in the day to day, cutting out crap like deserts and such, swapping for lower cal foods, etc.

Going to continue doing madcow 5x5, towards the middle I'm also going to introduce cardio in my off days - will see what sort've weekly weightloss I can get without it first. I don't want to use "all my tricks" at once as such.

During this week I'm going to order in a load of supps I've been waiting to order, mainly casein and superfood - plan to replace all my meals except dinner with casein shakes, flax seed, etc. Then have a lean meal in the evening. A less drastic version of the velocity diet, which I should be able to keep at for longer. I'll be starting that change from Monday 16th.

Current lifts are:
    Bench: 90kg 1RM
    Press: 57.5kg 1RM
    Squat: 135kg 1RM
    Deadlift: 185kg 1RM
    Rows: 82kg 5RM

Goal lifts for end of 12 weeks, not hoping for much due to the cut:
    Bench: 95kg 1RM
    Press: 60kg 1RM
    Squat: 135kg 1RM (only leg work I'm going to be able to do early on is with a smith machine, because my gym for some reason has ditched their squat rack - so not counting on this going up. Hoping on a replacement soon, if it doesn't happen I'll change gyms, but I'm on 1 months notice to change, so I'm not counting on much progress for this)
    Deadlift: 190kg 1RM
    Rows: 85kg 5RM

Starting weight (8th January - 23.30pm after a day of eating, and a big meal out tonight, big meal out last night too): 193lbs

Fairly confident that'll be something like 185lbs by the end of the week with a morning weigh in and no more big meals, hah. At least I ****ing hope I didn't put on that much weight over christmas. :|

So yeah, here goes!

Weight Progress

8th Jan: 193lbs (evening - not counted)
    10th Jan: 187.6lbs
    17th Jan: 183.2lbs -4.4lbs
    24th Jan: 180.4lbs -2.8lbs
    31st Jan: 179.6lbs -0.8lbs
    7th Feb: 178lbs -1.6lbs

Total loss so far: 9.6lbs
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So, first day.

Had a banana first thing, went straight to the gym and had a whey protein shake afterwards (2 scoops), so currently at ~360 cals, 36.5g protein. Got a tandoori chicken sandwich for lunch and another subsequently for a snack, they're 285 cals each (18.6g protein), which'll put me ~930 cals, 73.7g protein total pre dinner. For dinner I'm having a cajun chicken salad, w/ 2 chicken breasts, which should be ~500-600 cals, 46g protein. Total at 1400-1500 cals, will then have another protein shake before bed, to get cals up to at least 1700, and protein to ~150g. Aiming at 1800 cals for workout days, and 1500 cals for non-workout days. Not bothering to track my other macros, just protein + total cals. Will be shooting for at least 150g workout days, and 120g non workout days this week. Should be able to up it a bit next week when I start replacing some things with casein.

Gym wise:

Smith Squats (explanation in main post):
    60x5
    70x5
    80x5
    90x5
    100x5

Bench press:
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5
    70x5
    75x5 (was going to go for 80, but really working on form and didn't want to be on the edge of my 5RM for this, will do 76 next session and slowly work up to my 80x5 again focussing on form next few weeks. To be honest so long as I maintain I'm happy, I don't expect to gain anything in such a large deficit. Find my bench and press don't budge at all unless I'm gaining weight, so a perfect chance to really work on my PL form)

Rows:
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5
    70x5
    80x5

Then to finish off did 3x8 bicep curls. Doing curls twice a week (mon/fri) and will do some tricep work on weds, not decided on an exercise yet. My arms are pretty small considering my lifts, so hopefully can add some size there despite the deficit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Surprised by how filling a couple chicken breasts and a load of salad are. The test will be whether I'm starving hungry by 11pm or not :p:
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Current lifts are:
    Bench: 90kg 1RM
    Press: 57.5kg 1RM
    Deadlift: 185kg 1RM
    Rows: 82kg 5RM

Goal lifts for end of 12 weeks, not hoping for much due to the cut:
    Bench: 95kg 1RM
    Press: 60kg 1RM
    Deadlift: 190kg 1RM
    Rows: 85kg 5RM
    Similiar lifts to me brah. And you're cutting. You're my compeition then. But you have a lot more rigorously planned/measured diet/plan.

Also, my bench 1Rm is also 90 and i'm aiming for 100 by the end of the comp. I reckon it's doable tbh. Unlucky about your gym ditching the rack as that's the one lift you were just behind me in already. I'll hopefully be lifting that weight for 3*3 or more by the end of the comp.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Similiar lifts to me brah. And you're cutting. You're my compeition then. But you have a lot more rigorously planned/measured diet/plan.

Also, my bench 1Rm is also 90 and i'm aiming for 100 by the end of the comp. I reckon it's doable tbh. Unlucky about your gym ditching the rack as that's the one lift you were just behind me in already. I'll hopefully be lifting that weight for 3*3 or more by the end of the comp.
    we'll see how it goes. I've even started doing bro curlz to get rid of the "strength routine" arms :p: .. My back is about the only good part of me muscle wise.

I'm shooting at ~25lbs lost over the period, going to be hard but I'm really motivated for it. Going to weigh myself tomorrow morning to get a more accurate starting morning weight, the 193lbs last night was obscene lol.

Losing weight that quickly I'll be thankful to maintain to be honest, bench is really hard to grow in a deficit, as is press I find. Squats/Deadlifts tend to behave better, but going to struggle with squats unless the rack is back soon.

Good luck though man! I'll be keeping an eye on those lifts of yours..
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    we'll see how it goes. I've even started doing bro curlz to get rid of the "strength routine" arms :p: .. My back is about the only good part of me muscle wise.

I'm shooting at ~25lbs lost over the period, going to be hard but I'm really motivated for it. Going to weigh myself tomorrow morning to get a more accurate starting morning weight, the 193lbs last night was obscene lol.

Losing weight that quickly I'll be thankful to maintain to be honest, bench is really hard to grow in a deficit, as is press I find. Squats/Deadlifts tend to behave better, but going to struggle with squats unless the rack is back soon.

Good luck though man! I'll be keeping an eye on those lifts of yours..
    25lbs?:eek:
    My aim for total weight loss is less than half of that, under 10lbs.
    . I just want to get rid of the little bit of chubs i got whilst bulking and get to a more reasonable weight like low 70s in kg. Hopefully this will mean my lifts keep making good progress.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    25lbs?:eek:
    My aim for total weight loss is less than half of that, under 10lbs.
    . I just want to get rid of the little bit of chubs i got whilst bulking and get to a more reasonable weight like low 70s in kg. Hopefully this will mean my lifts keep making good progress.
    Yeah, 2lbs a week for 12 weeks basically. If I stick to my cal intake I'll be able to hit it, I'd expect I'll lose a bit more than 2lbs a week first couple weeks then it'll settle down a bit. If it's much more than that I'll up my cals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As expected, 187.6lbs this morning, haha. Next weigh-in will be next tue. Stuck to diet well yesterday, saw Mission Impossible in the cinema last night - got back and had a protein shake and apple. Finished the day somewhere 1700-1800 cals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Today's been harder than yesterday, although stuck to it. Banana (160 cals) first thing, tandoori chicken sandwich (285 cals) for lunch, another one as a snack (285 cals), had roast chicken with non starchy veg, couple small sausages and a few potato things for dinner (650 cals). Puts me at ~1400 cals. Will have an apple + protein shake before bed, to finish ~1500. Not half bad.. 1500 feels like it might be slightly low, but feels manageable at the moment. Only time I was hungry was ~an hour before lunch, and between my snack and dinner. Will figure I'll soon adjust to the lower cals, and replacing stuff with casein next week should mean that I at least get more meals in (+ more protein).

Had back pain all day today, guessing it was due to my rows yesterday, lower right hand side.. Taken tons of paracetemol/ibuprofen and now have an epic stomach ache. Swings and roundabouts.

Not sure if I'll deadlift tomorrow because of it, we'll see.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just back from gym, banana first thing, 2 scoops of whey after workout.

Started doing smith "squats"..

60kg, first rep okay, 2nd rep okay, 3rd rep felt really tough, 4th rep left hand side of smith machine exploded where the thing attaches to the rail, tiny ball bearings went absolutely everywhere. Best get fixed or I literally have no way of doing any sorta squatting, beyond perhaps trying to do box squats on the bench, cleaning some pathetic weight and front squatting or something...

Next did some overhead pressing, after tweaking my back on Monday I didn't want to make things worse, so went a bit lighter and did some BB style volume.

bar x 8, 35kgx5, 40kgx5, 50kg x 8 + 2 push press, 50kg x 3 + 2 push press

Next did some direct tri work.

Didn't do deadlifts (again due to the back injury).

Did 15 mins on the x-trainer to finish off, felt like the session was too short otherwise.

Don't feel any back pain, so assuming I'll be all good for rows etc on Friday, and getting back into proper Madcow once more.

Will be having my 2 tandoori chicken sandwiches for lunch/snack again, and chilli con carni for dinner.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Banana for breakfast.. Had a spicy chicken salad for lunch, having another one as a snack (what I have left). At about 800 cals or so including the second salad. Not sure what I'm having for dinner yet. Was 186.6lbs or something this morning, as expected dropping off quite quick this first week.. Be good when it levels out a bit and I can better estimate how much fat I'm shifting.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bit crap today, was all good until I went out to play poker and some guy bought everyone potato shells with cheese/bacon, which were amazing. Ah well, a day lost but a good week so far. Probably good to have a high carb meal every once in a while anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Smith Machine still out of action, so no "squats". My legs are going to turn to **** without a rack or smith

Bench
    5x40kg
    5x50kg
    5x60kg
    5x70kg
    3x77.5kg
    8x60kg

Still working on form a bit, 77.5kg felt heavy for some reason though. I'm finding it really hard to get a good arch, anyone have any tips on how to do it? Occasionally I manage to get pretty tight, but can't arch my back for ****e.

My back has been a bit funny since monday's rows, so didn't go as heavy and did more reps instead. Hopefully weekend will be enough to put them back on track.

5x40kg
    5x50kg
    5x60kg
    8x70kg

Finished off with 3x8 BB curls.

Food wise, banana and a protein shake thus far. 2 tandoori chicken sandwiches again for lunch/snack, no idea for dinner yet.
    • 80 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck :yy:

In to follow
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still working on form a bit, 77.5kg felt heavy for some reason though. I'm finding it really hard to get a good arch, anyone have any tips on how to do it? Occasionally I manage to get pretty tight, but can't arch my back for ****e.
    Foam roll your back and work on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICtEOwA3r_U
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Foam roll your back and work on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICtEOwA3r_U
    Cheers for the tip. Might have to get some foam rollers and give it a go.

(Original post by CJ)
    Good luck :yy:

In to follow
    Cheers CJ!

Had a bit of a naff time this weekend, good friend going back to uni and visited some other people, they said they were doing food so specifically not to eat before. Food was in the form of pizza, garlic bread and chocolate fingers, so yesterday wasn't great. Friday I probably was slightly under maintenance but not enough.

Need to be stricter with the diet, trying to get family more on board and hopefully encourage them to eat a bit healthier too - would make it much easier.

Just need to be more disciplined I guess. Will be weighing myself tuesday morning.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Had a banana pre-gym, usual 2 scoops of whey afterwards. Smith machine is still broken.

Bench
    5x40kg
    5x50kg
    5x60kg
    5x70kg
    5x75kg (felt brutally hard, I don't know if it's eating less that's causing this :/, I know I couldn't have gotten 80x5 out today...)

Rows
    5x40kg
    5x50kg
    5x60kg
    8x70kg

Still concerned about tweaking my back, feels a little dodgy - so keeping rows lighter and doing a couple more reps.

Z-Bar Bro Curls:
    1x8 bar+10kg
    1x8 bar+20kg
    1x8 bar+15kg

Leg press:
    3x8 (some weight I can't remember)

I'm a bit lost as to what to do with no way of squatting properly...

No idea what the bar weighs, it's got olympic ends though. I'm guessing somewhere 13-15kg from when I carry it around. My curls are shocking, but could probably do better if I hadn't just rowed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Weigh in this morning: 183.2lbs

Pretty insane, I'm assuming it's mostly water loss though, will up my cals a bit if it continues like this. I'm very surprised considering I wasn't too great over the weekend eating wise.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday food:

Banana (160 kcals)
    Grilled Chicken, BBQ Sauce, 100g of oven chips & baked beans (700 kcals, 60g protein)
    Chicken Jalfrezi w/ Rice (800 kcals, 40g protein)
    3 chocolate biscuits (160 kcals)

Total: 1820 (not too bad - too low on the protein front though)

Not a "great" day - ended up having the chicken because it was all I could find substantial in the house, and my car was being serviced so couldn't drive to tesco.. Then the jalfrezi was bought for me for dinner. Should've skipped the chocolate biscuits and I would've been on target, but they're going off soon - might give them away... Always feel guilty giving away presents bought for me though!

Gym today:

Smith machine was fixed! Squats feel a lot smoother now too, thinking it was the attachment being poorly lubricated that caused it to break, and may also have been the reason I was getting knee pain and such due to random changes in resistance. At least it means I can do some kinda squats again. Looking at another gym on saturday that has a lifting platform, 2 squat racks, a bench, 400kg+ in plates, etc.. Sounds awesome! Hopefully lives up to expectation...

Squats
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    85kg x5
    85kg x5

Kept it light to get back into it - felt pretty easy.

Overhead press
    35kgx5
    42.5kgx5
    50kgx5
    56kgx5 (push press after the first 2 reps)

Deadlifts
    100kgx5
    120kgx5
    140kgx5
    164kgx4

Feeling a bit weaker, I'm assuming it's due to the whole less cals and cutting thing, not abysmal though by any means, so not too disappointed. Not expecting much lift progress anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not been updating the food, been quite good at sticking within the range though. Effort logging it everyday, although I'll start logging again if I'm not losing enough weight to ensure I'm not letting anything slip.

Gym yesterday:

Smith "Squats"
    5x60kg
    5x80kg
    5x100kg
    3x110kg

Wasn't feeling the set of 8 at the end, knees were feeling weird - realised I missed one of my warm-up sets too. Looking forward to seeing the new gym this afternoon, hopefully not too expensive and lives up to expectation. I NEED A SQUAT RACK.

Bench
    5x40kg
    5x50kg
    5x60kg
    5x70kg
    3x75kg
    8x60kg

Last rep of 75kg was really hard. Forgot to mention on wednesday I did some narrow benching to finish - my tris felt fried and I was really struggling to lock reps out, so removed any direct tricep work from my routine now. Will still do curls on mon/fri though as they don't seem to affect my other lifts. I guess that benching twice a week and OHP'ing once a week is more than enough tri stimulation anyway.

Rows
    5x40kg
    5x50kg
    5x60kg
    5x70kg
    3x80kg
    8x60kg

Felt alright, back's recovered because no pain since.

Curls
    1x7 Z-bar + 20kg
    1x8 Z-bar + 15kg

Didn't do a third set - doing rows to max effort meant my bi's were already pretty gone.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.