The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Magic Circle firms situated in London.
Reply 2
ElWilson
Anyone? (e.g Criminal, Human Rights etc.)

Anyone know the top paying graduate law firms aswell?

Cheers.

Per se; no-where in the 'Magic Circle'.

Type 'Cravath' and 'Wachtell' into Google: you'll see what I mean.
Reply 3
Well, if you're talking about NQ positions - Covington & Burling - £85.5k.
Reply 4
Magic Circle -
Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Linklaters
Slaughter and May

Right?
So commerical law is undoubtfully the highest paying area of law? So, what law firms usually pay top dollar for law graduates from Oxbridge/UCL/KCL/LSE/Bristol/Notts etc.

Does anyone know if any firms have published 'tiers' for employment?

Thanks.
Reply 5
Vitriol01
Well, if you're talking about NQ positions - Covington & Burling - £85.5k.

Holy Crap! And I thought Cleary Gottlieb/Skaddens pays the most...
Reply 6
ElWilson
Magic Circle -
Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Linklaters
Slaughter and May

Right?
So commerical law is undoubtfully the highest paying area of law? So, what law firms usually pay top dollar for law graduates from Oxbridge/UCL/KCL/LSE/Bristol/Notts etc.

Does anyone know if any firms have published 'tiers' for employment?

Thanks.

Were I you, I would first concentrate on actually getting a Law degree.
Reply 7
Yeah, I see what you mean. I was just being generally inquisitive on finding out more on the different areas of law in a financial manner.
It does not matter which university you go to. The firms don't see LSE and think "ye that guy deserves an extra 5% bonus."
Reply 9
Alot of firms don't interview ones with a not-so-good university under their belts.
Reply 10
pearljamslion
It does not matter which university you go to. The firms don't see LSE and think "ye that guy deserves an extra 5% bonus."

Right, but wrong.
Reply 11
ElWilson
Alot of firms don't interview ones with a not-so-good university under their belts.

No offence mate but you are an a-level student, what experience do you have of recruitment bar the hearsay that gets presented as fact on here? :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Well it's funny how others say the same things as me, ever heard of an opinion?
Reply 13
ElWilson
Well it's funny how others say the same things as me, ever heard of an opinion?

So indeed to answer my original question you have -no- experience of recruitment and thus hold no authority in making statements about what firms do and don't do.

Right. :rolleyes:

My MC firm has quite a few trainees from 'lesser' universities. At interview it is solely down the individual not where you come from, i'm not sure how many times that point has to be reiterated before people on this website decide to believe it.
Reply 14
Umm..Im also just an A level student like ElWilson and no expert on the matter;

But lets say there are 400 applicants for jobs at somewhere like Clifford Chance. They cant interview 'em all, so they shortlist; you cant be saying that the Oxbridge candidates will have no advantage here. Im not saying this bcoz Im hoping to go to Cambridge, but will a place like Clifford Chance actually shortlist someone from a "lesser" university when there are a fair share of Oxbridge applicants?

As I said, I may be wrong. But this is what Ive gathered from reading many posts on TSR coupled with a bit of common sense.

Edit: if there are two candidates; one from Oxbridge with a 2:1 and another from a "lesser" uni also with a 2:1, which one would you shortlist?
Reply 15
Booyakasha.
Reply 16
manthi

Im not saying this bcoz Im hoping to go to Cambridge, but will a place like Clifford Chance actually shortlist someone from a "lesser" university when there are a fair share of Oxbridge applicants?

Edit: if there are two candidates; one from Oxbridge with a 2:1 and another from a "lesser" uni also with a 2:1, which one would you shortlist?

Haha guess which firm my TC is with.... :wink:

I would, and they, shortlist the ones who adequately answer the questions as 75% of all apps fail at the form. CC get 20 applicants per place for TC so sure they will filter by university in some instances, however that doesn't necessarily that just because you've gone to UEL you will automatically get rejected.

I'm not going to lie and say there wasn't plenty of people from oxbridge but I also met people from Leeds, QM, Greenwich(!!), all of whom were just as good at their job as the others.

Edit: Case in point, Slaughters are also famous for taking people from TVU of all places, rated bottom in the country at some point. To some extent that might be tokenism but it still shows that this myth of only top 15 grads having a shot isn't true.
You have missed the point. You were referring to the quantification of salaries NOT whether or not the firm will offer you a contract or interview.
Reply 18
To the OP,

I would seriously counsel against trying to plan so far ahead.

You are, I assume, only 16 or 17 if you are yet to choose which Uni you're going to? While some interest in what the MC/US firms do and pay is good, its a little early to be contemplating which degree modules you should be studying to help with your TC at Shearman & Sterling.

Don't choose to study law simply because you like the look of the $ signs. If law is something which interests you then go for it and try to get into the best Uni you can. When choosing a University, its position on a league table should not be your sole criteria.

When you start studying law, keep an open mind about what might be an interesting career and don't just get dragged onto the London vac scheme/TC conveyor belt. There are masses of things to do out there which can be far more satisfying that corporate/commercial law. Trust me, I speak from experience.

One last thought for the day. You've posted lots of threads asking for people's advice. That advice has been freely given. Perhaps a little 'thanks' every now and then wouldn't go amiss?

Chalks.
Reply 19
Thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending