The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have a little problem that I devised in S3 just now to keep you entertained until 4.30:

Consider a circle γ\gamma with centre O and radius 1, and also consider the line BAC which is tangent to γ\gamma where C is on the circle. By considering the angle AOB, show that π4=n=1(1)n12n1\displaystyle\frac{ \pi}{4}= \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1}

EDIT: I just used the word consider too many times :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
tock ...
Reply 3982
Original post by TheMagicMan
I have a little problem that I devised in S3 just now to keep you entertained until 4.30:

Consider a circle γ\gamma with centre O and radius 1, and also condsider the line BAC which is tangent to γ\gamma where C is on the circle. By considering the angle AOB, show that π4=n=1(1)n12n1\displaystyle\frac{ \pi}{4}= \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1}

oh you shouldn't have.

Consider a circle γ\gamma with centre O and radius 1, and also condsider the line BAC which is tangent to γ\gamma where C is on the circle. By considering the angle AOB, show that π4=n=1(1)n12n1\displaystyle\frac{ \pi}{4}= \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1}

Aww, can't even share this with oldest the STEP nerd 'cause he's on his way home from M3 (CCEA) and won't be back for another hour.
Reply 3984
Is a discussion thread going to be set up by magic come 4:30 or will it take that most dreaded characteristic; initiative? :eek:

Consider a circle γ\gamma with centre O and radius 1, and also consider the line BAC which is tangent to γ\gamma where C is on the circle. By considering the angle AOB, show that π4=n=1(1)n12n1\displaystyle\frac{ \pi}{4}= \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1}

EDIT: I just used the word consider too many times :wink:

haven't had a proper go but is it something along the lines of over/under estimating the arc length of the part of the circle subtended on an angle pi/4 which converges to the exact value?
Original post by ben-smith
haven't had a proper go but is it something along the lines of over/under estimating the arc length of the part of the circle subtended on an angle pi/4 which converges to the exact value?

Well at some point you should be working out the power series of arctanx\arctan x. The final bits of the problem aren't really very exciting
i did the exam yesterday at 1, so can i talk about the exam as its been more than 24 hours for me. :biggrin:
Reply 3988
For me its 24 hours too :P did it at 2 PM (GMT+2)
1 minute...
Original post by maths134
1 minute...

Well, how did you find it?
my thoughts on STEP II: It was an 'easy' paper. 4&6 were relatively well known theorems and 11 was the easiest STEP II question I've ever seen
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
Well, how did you find it?

Wont have made my offer... pretty bad tbh. Managed 1 complete solution, 2 90% complete and 3 partial =[
my thoughts on STEP II: It was an easy paper. 4&6 were relatively well known theorems and 11 was the easiest STEP II question I've very seen

Do you have a copy of the paper to upload?

Original post by maths134
Wont have made my offer... pretty bad tbh. Managed 1 complete solution, 2 90% complete and 3 partial =[

:hugs: Sorry to hear that. You might surprise yourself. Plus you still have III :yep:
question 9 was by far the simplest m2 question ever!!!
Reply 3995
After STEP I, I was a bit down. NOT ANYMORE!!!!! :bl:

Now I'm just waiting for the discussion thread.
Reply 3996
I thought it was nightmare! No diff equations, no trig, one stupid integration q which didnt work for me. Q4 and Q9 were quite easy though. But I hated it :/
Reply 3997
I did two questions fully, but then I also did the majority of 3 other questions plus the first graph of question 5 in the last few mins, so I reckon I should be ok
Reply 3998
I did 4 (just about full solutions). Think i'm at around 75 marks. Is this enough for a 1 do you people think?
6 was basically free marks for anyone who knew Heron's formula.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending