The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4100
Original post by raheem94
I have to work on FP3, so can't practice AEA, though i did practice a bit a long time ago but still have done only one full paper.

ah fair enough, good luck for that! Though i'm sure you'll get a great mark :smile: FP2 was my last exam other than AEA though I didn't really revise for it considering my A* (hopefully) modules are S2 S3 and M2 and I only need about 30ums in it to maintain at least 80% in all modules. I really can't be bothered to revise for it now, not after all the exams i've gone through!
Original post by Xyonzz
ah fair enough, good luck for that! Though i'm sure you'll get a great mark :smile: FP2 was my last exam other than AEA though I didn't really revise for it considering my A* (hopefully) modules are S2 S3 and M2 and I only need about 30ums in it to maintain at least 80% in all modules. I really can't be bothered to revise for it now, not after all the exams i've gone through!

Do you do edexcel maths?

You should have gone for FP3 instead of S3, I haven't done S3 but S1-2 were very boring while FP3 is a lot better than them.

An 'A' in further maths is almost secured for me as well but have to do well in FP3 to get an A*.

Good luck to you as well :smile:
Reply 4102
Do you do edexcel maths?

You should have gone for FP3 instead of S3, I haven't done S3 but S1-2 were very boring while FP3 is a lot better than them.

An 'A' in further maths is almost secured for me as well but have to do well in FP3 to get an A*.

Good luck to you as well :smile:

Indeed i do
Nah I like stats, I absolutely hate mechanics though...I mean it's interesting and all, i just can't do it! FP3 does seem much more interesting though, I've skimmed through the book, I'll probably go over it over summer for good measure.

I'm sure you'll get it, don't worry :wink: another reason I did S3 is that it's much easier to get a better mark than Fp2/Fp3...I'm so glad edexcel changed it so that FP2/3 doesn't have to count for the A*!
Original post by Xyonzz
Indeed i do
Nah I like stats, I absolutely hate mechanics though...I mean it's interesting and all, i just can't do it! FP3 does seem much more interesting though, I've skimmed through the book, I'll probably go over it over summer for good measure.

I'm sure you'll get it, don't worry :wink: another reason I did S3 is that it's much easier to get a better mark than Fp2/Fp3...I'm so glad edexcel changed it so that FP2/3 doesn't have to count for the A*!

I like mechanics as much as pure :tongue:

For me it is more easier to get good marks at FP2/3 compared to S2 :biggrin:
Reply 4104
I like mechanics as much as pure :tongue:

For me it is more easier to get good marks at FP2/3 compared to S2 :biggrin:

I found learning Fp2 muchhhh harder than stats, there's so many things you have to know whereas for stats the only mistakes you'll make is an inputting error :biggrin: have you done S2 or did you do it in this exam period?
Original post by Xyonzz
I found learning Fp2 muchhhh harder than stats, there's so many things you have to know whereas for stats the only mistakes you'll make is an inputting error :biggrin: have you done S2 or did you do it in this exam period?

I did S2 in this exam period. I didn't worked much for it because i found it boring.
Reply 4106
I did S2 in this exam period. I didn't worked much for it because i found it boring.

each to their own I suppose, S2 and S3 were pretty interesting for me, though I'll admit S1 made me want to fall asleep...i tried the stats question in Step I (where he selected numbers 100,000-999,999 without 0,6,7,8,9) and all I managed to do was show how many numbers he could choose from...:facepalm:
End of exams for me :teeth:
Original post by Xyonzz
each to their own I suppose, S2 and S3 were pretty interesting for me, though I'll admit S1 made me want to fall asleep...i tried the stats question in Step I (where he selected numbers 100,000-999,999 without 0,6,7,8,9) and all I managed to do was show how many numbers he could choose from...:facepalm:

That's not stats, that's number theory. :p:
Reply 4109
I have a question :

Let's say I have two statements I have to prove via induction.

Whilst proving the first statement, I use the second statement hence my proof is only valid if the second statement is true

But when trying to prove the second statement, I use the first statement hence it is only valid if the first one is true

Now, is the proof valid or not? Ie, I have I actually proven that the two results are true?
Original post by fruktas
I have a question :

Whilst proving the first statement, I use the second statement hence my proof is only valid if the second statement is true

But when trying to prove the second statement, I use the first statement hence it is only valid if the first one is true

Now, is the proof valid or not? Ie, I have I actually proven that the two results are true?

Nope, it's what we call circular logic.
Reply 4111
Original post by TheMagicMan
Nope, it's what we call circular logic.

yeah, that's what I thought. thanks
Original post by fruktas
I have a question :

No solutions given away in the spoiler (though I think I know the question you're on about!). Just an idea that I used.

Spoiler

Reply 4113
Original post by Xero Xenith
No solutions given away in the spoiler (though I think I know the question you're on about!). Just an idea that I used.

Spoiler

Ohh I see, yeah, I checked the solution and that was the tsr solution did.

I think we are talking about the same question haha

Spoiler

What q was this btw? I think I can recall a STEP q where I used double induction but there was a neater way involving fractions.
Original post by Blutooth
What q was this btw? I think I can recall a STEP q where I used double induction but there was a neater way involving fractions.

I think it's Q4 2005 STEP III - pretty sure that's the only double induction one between 2004 and 2010 (papers I've done) :smile:
I think it's Q4 2005 STEP III - pretty sure that's the only double induction one between 2004 and 2010 (papers I've done) :smile:

Original post by fruktas
Ohh I see, yeah, I checked the solution and that was the tsr solution did.

I think we are talking about the same question haha

Yes, indeed. I believe that on that particular question there was a neater way that did not involve 2 inductive loops. An example of this should be in the official solutions. :smile:
Reply 4117
Original post by Blutooth
Yes, indeed. I believe that on that particular question there was a neater way that did not involve 2 inductive loops. An example of this should be in the official solutions. :smile:

I was talking about Q5 1999 III :smile:
4 good sols (+fragments) on STEP III 2011 - assuming our paper is decent like that, I'm back in the game :biggrin:
Reply 4119
I am planning on doing that tomorrow or monday. Thank god it's a decent paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending