The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by safmaster
So who'll be using the Churchill college gym? :wink:

lol Im planning to hit the gym after my exams :tongue: I hear there are alot of sport fields at Chruchill....I havent played football since a year so haven't done any new goal celebrations :redface:
Reply 1061
Original post by Rahul.S
looool

If I get into Trinity....on results day me and my bredwins are going to go Trinity to record my f64 :colone: Im thinking of inviting some people from TSR.....my bruddda legendary....you can hope along as well but no bhangra! :tongue:

:rofl:.

I'll take you up on the offer, minus the bhangra :tongue::wink:.
Original post by f1mad
:rofl:.

I'll take you up on the offer, minus the bhangra :tongue::wink:.

you can bring your mate: tehforum as well......got some old business to sort out with him :colone:
Reply 1063
Original post by Rahul.S
you can bring your mate: tehforum as well......got some old business to sort out with him :colone:

:youbetcha: :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
looool

If I get into Trinity....on results day me and my bredwins are going to go Trinity to record my f64 :colone: Im thinking of inviting some people from TSR.....my bruddda legendary....you can hope along as well but no bhangra! :tongue:

Oh good lord. Cambridge won't know what hit it...:tongue:
Reply 1065
Original post by Xero Xenith
So unbelievably excited right now :biggrin:

That's great! :tongue: The TSR bureaucracy still maintains the PRSOM view on things. :biggrin:
Reply 1066
Original post by safmaster
So who'll be using the Churchill college gym? :wink:

I definitely will be!
Reply 1067
I am planning to do a proper STEP II mock after the Easter School. If I can get a solid 1, then I will start looking at STEP III. In the end, I hope to get S in STEP II and 1 in STEP III (really really hope thats achievable!)
Original post by fruktas
I definitely will be!

Good to know :tongue: Can't wait to see the equipment and weights they have.
Reply 1069
STEP II 2007 Q11

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=443433&page=5&p=9673621#post9673621

Can someone please explain to me how they arrived at the K position vector. I am happy with i and j, but cannot seem to understand where the 5t comes from :frown:
STEP II 2009 Q3 is a very nice question. Its easy, but not so easy to be completely trivial (well... if you know your trig identities well then it actually is). Its worth a try even if trig isn't usually something you like.

Spoiler

Sat down to do a mock II paper. After feeling things were going quite well, I really bombed on that paper. Only found 1 question I could finish (from the 5 I started in that time). Got 1 question, a 'almost done' question and 2 halfs - the other I could barely start. Really disappointed with myself, I just felt like I couldn't do anything there. Gonna look with a fresh mind tomorrow and hope I just wasn't up to it because it just wasn't good at all.

It was 2002, by the way.
Original post by fruktas
STEP II 2007 Q11

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=443433&page=5&p=9673621#post9673621

Can someone please explain to me how they arrived at the K position vector. I am happy with i and j, but cannot seem to understand where the 5t comes from :frown:

Since the k component is the vertically upwards one, you just need to use v=u+at with u=25sinαu=25\sin \alpha and a=ga=-g (it's the standard upwards component of the projectile's motion). Then integrating that component, you get the 5t. I assume that's the part you're referring to. If not, please clarify which bit you don't get.
Reply 1073
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Since the k component is the vertically upwards one, you just need to use v=u+at with u=25sinαu=25\sin \alpha and a=ga=-g (it's the standard upwards component of the projectile's motion). Then integrating that component, you get the 5t. I assume that's the part you're referring to. If not, please clarify which bit you don't get.

Yes, I understand the velocity bit, but the line under refers to position vector R, which has -5t, which would assume from using r = r0 + vt that r0 is 50i + 5tk, but surely r0 is only 50i ? ( I am probably making no sense, forgive me for that haha )
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fruktas
Yes, I understand the velocity bit, but the line under refers to position vector R, which has -5t, which would assume from using r = r0 + vt that r0 is 50i + 5tk, but surely r0 is only 50i ? ( I am probably making no sense, forgive me for that haha )

If I've interpreted what you've said correctly, you're accidentally assuming that v is constant. But v isn't independent of t (see the k-component of the velocity) and so you can't apply that formula as it only holds for constant velocity. You would have to integrate each component of the velocity and calculate r0 at the end (it works out).
Guys, to do step 1 and 2 do you need knowledge of A-level further maths? It is just A-level maths right?
Original post by hassi94
Sat down to do a mock II paper. After feeling things were going quite well, I really bombed on that paper. Only found 1 question I could finish (from the 5 I started in that time). Got 1 question, a 'almost done' question and 2 halfs - the other I could barely start. Really disappointed with myself, I just felt like I couldn't do anything there. Gonna look with a fresh mind tomorrow and hope I just wasn't up to it because it just wasn't good at all.

It was 2002, by the way.

Don't worry about it too much it's still early early days. I haven't got the guts to go onto a full S2 paper. Guess it'll be worth a try after the step camp but I wanna finish offer some fp2 and fp3 papers before I start trying the step ones.
Original post by handsome7654
Guys, to do step 1 and 2 do you need knowledge of A-level further maths? It is just A-level maths right?

yh just a level maths :colone:
Reply 1078
Hi, can anyone recommend any useful websites for help with number theory?

Many Thanks
In step 2008 II q 4 part i . Why can you drop the modulus?

Quick Reply

Latest