Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Should we include the AEA in this thread?
    Yes
    33.76%
    No
    66.24%

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dog4444)
    Right, you don't need to put STEPs as pending, applying to Warwick/Cambridge either?
    Nope, I didn't
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, you don't need to put STEPs as pending, applying to Warwick/Cambridge either?
    I didn't
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    And me neither
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    Check the first post - there's a list. Basically, yes
    Wow you sure have kept that post updated! That should be saved for posterity (or rather, until next year when the rest of us are too lazy to make another one)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deejayy)
    Imperial, i really want to go there. I'm considering firming it.
    Go for Imp as Firm/Insurance. You are taking a gap year right? You can always reapply with next year if exams don't go to plan.

I think a 2 is easily possible with practice. Even a bad day should not make it impossible.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    STEP I 1992, Q2. It's not in the 'style' of a modern day STEP question, but what a fun problem! (why did I ever think doing STEP was a bad idea...)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    Wow you sure have kept that post updated! That should be saved for posterity (or rather, until next year when the rest of us are too lazy to make another one)
    That's one of the reasons I made it... I couldn't see any good "all in one place" STEP dealies around. So now there's at least a decent start, hopefully

Though I'm worried about the effects on this year's grade boundaries...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    STEP I 1992, Q2. It's not in the 'style' of a modern day STEP question, but what a fun problem! (why did I ever think doing STEP was a bad idea...)
    Great question

And that's also a nice paper! A few questions possible with GCSE knowledge too... might recommend some questions from it to some Y11/Y10s
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what bus/buses I need to catch to get from Cambridge Train Station to Churchill College?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruktas)
    Does anyone know what bus/buses I need to catch to get from Cambridge Train Station to Churchill College?
    Ask the bus driver of any bus and he/she should be able to tell you which stop to get off and direct you thereafter; that's my plan anyway . What time are you planning to reach the station?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruktas)
    I need to search that ....heck I havent even booked a ticket which shouldn't be a problem still as there are plenty of trains to catch from Kings cross
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    I need to search that ....heck I havent even booked a ticket which shouldn't be a problem still as there are plenty of trains to catch from Kings cross
    What time are you planning to leave king's cross?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safmaster)
    Ask the bus driver of any bus and he/she should be able to tell you which stop to get off and direct you thereafter; that's my plan anyway . What time are you planning to reach the station?
    I think about 12/12:30 in cambridge, since I don't want to stand there waiting!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great question

And that's also a nice paper! A few questions possible with GCSE knowledge too... might recommend some questions from it to some Y11/Y10s
    Remember that a calculator was allowed, which makes Q1 less tedious! (Or, perhaps more tedious, if someone...

Spoiler:
    Show
    ...doesn't use modular arithmetic. But I think modular arithmetic was on the A-Level syllabus then, which would make its non-use bizarre

Q5 is also rendered simple, because

Spoiler:
    Show
    the wording of the question is particularly bad. You can merely expand a polynomial to get your the a_1,...,a_15 and use your calculator to check your solution works for r=2,3. Silly question, rendered even sillier by the wording! I guess its easy and quick though, which makes it ideal fodder under exam conditions

I need to stop doing STEP instead of my far more tedious and boring studies :rolleyes:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    What time are you planning to leave king's cross?
    havent really decided on a time.....i just hope im on time at Chruchill college

you leaving at kings cross as well?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    havent really decided on a time.....i just hope im on time at Chruchill college

you leaving at kings cross as well?
    Yeah... planning to leave kings cross at 11:15 given that the train to Cambridge station takes about an hour.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great question

I am in year 11 and want to do STEP in hope of going to Cambridge/Warwick or others, so could you please tell me ta few STEP questions that appear to be of GCSE ability. I know C1 and C2 as well, and have done S1; so slightly advanced stuff wouldn't be a problem. Also, I know about modular arithmetic since I learnt it when doing the Intermediate Maths mentoring scheme, so of you could highlight any questions at my ability I would be very grateful.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... planning to leave kings cross at 11:15 given that the train to Cambridge station takes about an hour.
    umm it takes me around 40 mins to get to Kings cross......Im guessing there is a train leaving around 11:15...I will reach Kings cross around 10:45 just in case......if you happen to see a moist gasst yout around that time with a case....you know its me
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenLantern1)
    I am in year 11 and want to do STEP in hope of going to Cambridge/Warwick or others, so could you please tell me ta few STEP questions that appear to be of GCSE ability. I know C1 and C2 as well, and have done S1; so slightly advanced stuff wouldn't be a problem. Also, I know about modular arithmetic since I learnt it when doing the Intermediate Maths mentoring scheme, so of you could highlight any questions at my ability I would be very grateful.
    Check out the 1992 STEP 1 paper, and see how many of those you can do. If you are on the mentoring scheme, perhaps we can expect big things from you

EDIT: Immediately after I made the post, I realised that could be misconstrued as pressuring. If its your first time doing STEP, it might take a while to get used to the style. I wouldn't worry about doing it in the time limit - just pick out questions that take your fancy and see how you get on.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    umm it takes me around 40 mins to get to Kings cross......Im guessing there is a train leaving around 11:15...I will reach Kings cross around 10:45 just in case......if you happen to see a moist gasst yout around that time with a case....you know its me
    Yeah, there should be a train leaving at 11:15. I'll be there around 11ish so I'll keep an eye out for you

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 18, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.