The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by GreenLantern1
Cheers. Do you know where I can get the answers or can you just tell me if this is right. For number 1 I got Monday. And btw was 1992 a lot easier because it took me 15-20 minutes to work that one out:redface:

And I will have a go at the other questions but I should probably revise first; still got GCSEs.

EDIT: On number 5 when it says po(x) - does that mean f(x). Can you explain the notation in that question if you get a chance. You an do it wheneverr - obviously you're busy, and I probably won't have enough time to attempt them today anyway.Cheers :smile:

Answers of all years - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1310974

Yes question number 5 essentially means f(x), they've just denoted the polynomials by po(x) and p1(x) to save writing g(x) or f(x) or h(x), or because p(x) essentially denotes a polynomial, and since po(x) and p1(x) are polynomials they thought it would be better to denote it by p(x) with a subscript.
Reply 1421
Original post by Aurum
It's an indefinite integral, step 1 1988 q9,.

So surely such substitution is not valid? I may be missing something really obvious...
I am in year 11 and want to do STEP in hope of going to Cambridge/Warwick or others, so could you please tell me ta few STEP questions that appear to be of GCSE ability. I know C1 and C2 as well, and have done S1; so slightly advanced stuff wouldn't be a problem. Also, I know about modular arithmetic since I learnt it when doing the Intermediate Maths mentoring scheme, so of you could highlight any questions at my ability I would be very grateful.

I'm not sure I would recommend STEP yet. My view is that your time would be better spent on even tougher problems that don't need the A level material you have yet to reach. Have you looked at stuff off the Senior Mentoring scheme? Or BMO1/BMO2 problems? That should stretch your problem-solving skills without having to learn more technical stuff.
Original post by Aurum
Answers of all years - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1310974

Yes question number 5 essentially means f(x), they've just denoted the polynomials by po(x) and p1(x) to save writing g(x) or f(x) or h(x), or because p(x) essentially denotes a polynomial, and since po(x) and p1(x) are polynomials they thought it would be better to denote it by p(x) with a subscript.

Cheers and I will use that page then :smile:
Original post by ian.slater
I'm not sure I would recommend STEP yet. My view is that your time would be better spent on even tougher problems that don't need the A level material you have yet to reach. Have you looked at stuff off the Senior Mentoring scheme? Or BMO1/BMO2 problems? That should stretch your problem-solving skills without having to learn more technical stuff.

Agreed. Especially on number theory side of it. If you manage to do BMO2 level number theory stuff, you will destroy any STEP's NT question.
Reply 1425
Original post by Dog4444
Agreed. Especially on number theory side of it. If you manage to do BMO2 level number theory stuff, you will destroy any STEP's NT question.

BMO1 NT is more than enough.
And for 3i) i got 4. What is the difference between 3i and 3ii. What does the notation then mean?

Suppose f(x)0f(x)\geq 0 for xAix\in A_i and f(x)<0f(x)<0 for xBjx\in B_j (0in,0jm(0\leq i \leq n, 0\leq j \leq m where m,n are natural numbers) then
Unparseable latex formula:

|f(x)| = \begin{Bmatrix} f(x) & \mathrm{if} & x\in A_i \\ -f(x) & \mathrm{if} & x\in B_j

This is just a long winded way of saying that if f(x) is non-negative then |f(x)|=f(x) and if f(x) is negative then |f(x)|=-f(x). As it turns out, for 0≤x≤pi: |x|=x and |sin x|=sin x; also for -pi<x<0, we have |x|=-x and |sin x| = -sin x. You should know that sin(x)=sinx\sin (-x) = -\sin x so what can you deduce about the integrals in part (i) and (ii)?

Your answer for 3i) is correct.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Suppose f(x)0f(x)\geq 0 for xAix\in A_i and f(x)<0f(x)<0 for xBjx\in B_j (0in,0jm(0\leq i \leq n, 0\leq j \leq m where m,n are natural numbers) then
Unparseable latex formula:

|f(x)| = \begin{Bmatrix} f(x) & \mathrm{if} & x\in A_i \\ -f(x) & \mathrm{if} & x\in B_j

This is just a long winded way of saying that if f(x) is non-negative then |f(x)|=f(x) and if f(x) is negative then |f(x)|=-f(x). As it turns out, for 0≤x≤pi: |x|=x and |sin x|=sin x; also for -pi<x<0, we have |x|=-x and |sin x| = -sin x. You should know that sin(x)=sinx\sin (-x) = -\sin x so what can you deduce about the integrals in part (i) and (ii)?

Your answer for 3i) is correct.

They are the same :redface: So, the answer is again 4?
Original post by twig
BMO1 NT is more than enough.

I can't do number theory at all *sniff. I've looked a BMO problems and run away.

On a side note, does anyone know any good maths blogging sites. i.e LaTeX enabled?
They are the same :redface: So, the answer is again 4?

Yep.
Original post by wcp100
I can't do number theory at all *sniff. I've looked a BMO problems and run away.

On a side note, does anyone know any good maths blogging sites. i.e LaTeX enabled?

wordpress does as long as you download the plugin
Original post by ben-smith
wordpress does as long as you download the plugin

Thanks I'll try it if the LaTeX addon for blogger doesn't work.

I've called it: Simple Harmonic Blog :cool:
Reply 1432
Original post by wcp100

I don't think BMOs are a good indicator; some of them require you to spot something which is totally unrelated initially, but later turns out to be vital for the proof. e.g. this years Q5 was made a LOT easier (i.e. near identical to Q1) if you spotted that product of 4 consecutive integers is always 1 less than a square. STEP, on the other hand, gives you hints about what to do (rather than the all or nothing approach), which I prefer.
Original post by twig
I don't think BMOs are a good indicator; some of them require you to spot something which is totally unrelated initially, but later turns out to be vital for the proof. e.g. this years Q5 was made a LOT easier (i.e. near identical to Q1) if you spotted that product of 4 consecutive integers is always 1 less than a square. STEP, on the other hand, gives you hints about what to do (rather than the all or nothing approach), which I prefer.

Do you do the BMO "for real?" or do you just look for the questions online? I understand what your are saying. From what I have seen, the BMO questions are really open ended. I prefer STEP because it's the type of maths I like, calc. etc...
Original post by twig
I don't think BMOs are a good indicator; some of them require you to spot something which is totally unrelated initially, but later turns out to be vital for the proof.

That's the thing. You should know the tricks and be on a right track.

Nobody saying BMO is a perfect indicator of how you manage STEP's, but there is some correlation anyway.

That's why I mention NT specifically, because it's really helpful to get your head around through BMO NT problems, because they are sort of similar to STEP's.
Reply 1435
Original post by wcp100
Do you do the BMO "for real?" or do you just look for the questions online? I understand what your are saying. From what I have seen, the BMO questions are really open ended. I prefer STEP because it's the type of maths I like, calc. etc...

I actually sat this year's paper, was lucky enough to get a high score (literally did not do a single paper since my yr 12 BMO), qualified and got destroyed by round 2. I did more Olympiad stuff at high school (e.g. before step, knowing what calculus was, etc.), but have not looked at the BMOs properly other than qualifying for it , and cannot be bothered to learn any of the extra content.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ian.slater

I do agree with this, except if you've covered c1/c2 there are questions on that paper that are accessible. As a wider point, I would also recommend the Senior Mentoring scheme which seems like the natural step up (pun not intended)
Are you allowed a formula booklet for STEP? Also, tips in preperaring for the exams?
Reply 1438
An incredibly risky strategy I know - but has anyone managed to get a '2' with six fragmented answers?
Reply 1439
Original post by number23
Are you allowed a formula booklet for STEP?

Yeah, it's identical to the OCR one.

Original post by number23
Also, tips in preperaring for the exams?

Read the OP :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending