The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMagicMan
Can you post the question?

Q6 here
Reply 1801
Original post by TheJ0ker
Hi guys can someone give me a pointer on Q3 STEP 1 2010 paper please? I've done the first three show and deduce parts but when it comes to the last part I'm unsure what to do. I tried considering the gradients of the lines and equating them but it doesn't seem to be working. Thanks.

I just scribbled down a solution quickly; but if you've equated the gradients; you should get tan a = tan b (where a is something to do with "r" and "s" and b is something to do with "q" and "p")...could you manipulate that somehow so you have tan c = 0? (Where c is something to with all four of those)...then you could consider what values c could take in the given range for tan c = 0
Can anyone guess how many marks the last part of STEP III 2003 Q7 is worth?
Original post by ben-smith
Q6 here

If the sinhu\sinh u s were both negative then it would almost lorentz transforms as that is the minkowski-space rotation matrix acting on x and ct
Original post by safmaster
Can anyone guess how many marks the last part of STEP III 2003 Q7 is worth?

The geometrical interpretation is probably worth one mark, maybe two
Original post by Ree69
Seriously? Who advised you to do this? I really don't think any good can come from it.

Ah who am I kidding, I need people like you to bring down the STEP grade boundaries (which I'm scared will be astronomically high this year). :colone:

Mate I was joking that I was sitting it - I would fail it if I were to sit it in year 11 since I have only covered C1,C2,C3,S1,M1,D1. But it is unfair to say that 'I would bring the grade boundaries down' since I'm sure there are year 11s who could do well in it, and if I had learnt all the material for it I think I could do well, since I can do a lot of STEP I questions of which assume knowledge that I have. Obviously when doing the paper a lot fo them would be out of my reaxch so I would almost definitely get a U. But if I learnt the rest of the pure syllabus and some more applied modules, and had prepared since the beginning of year 11 I think I could get a 3. From what I have heard from people here that STEP requires practice and dedicaton, and obviously very good mathematical ability.
If the sinhu\sinh u s were both negative then it would almost lorentz transforms as that is the minkowski-space rotation matrix acting on x and ct

I noticed that but sinhu=sinh(u)sinhu=-sinh(-u) and coshu=cosh(u)coshu=cosh(-u).
Q6 here

I don't think it's about anything more fancy than simple hyperbolic rotations although it may well lead into Lorentz transformations.
(edited 12 years ago)
I noticed that but sinhu=sinh(u)sinhu=-sinh(-u) and coshu=cosh(u)coshu=cosh(-u).

That's true, but it still needs to act on some sort of time variable rather than a spatial variable to be true lorentz in a physical sense

see here
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ree69
That was meant to be a joke - I didn't meant to cause offence!

On a more serious note though, I do think sitting it in year 11 is far too early. Unless they're some genius, how could anyone be confident with C1-4 material in the same year as their GCSE prep?

I can assure you I am confident with C1, C2 andC3, since I have been learning it early with the school and generally get 96% in mock past papers. Next time don't just assume when you say something.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I don't think it's about anything more fancy than simple hyperbolic rotations.

Well, in a way, the lorentz transform is a hyperbolic rotation...
I'm not saying that you have to know spec rel to do the question but that seems (to me) to be what they're hinting at.
In STEP they often introduce you to higher level stuff.
That's true, but it still needs to act on some sort of time variable rather than a spatial variable to be true lorentz in a physical sense

see here

why can't y be a time variable? (or x for that matter).

This is definitely true...
why can't y be a time variable? (or x for that matter).

It can be...but the context of the question (to me) frames it as a spatial variable
Well, in a way, the lorentz transform is a hyperbolic rotation...
I'm not saying that you have to know spec rel to do the question but that seems (to me) to be what they're hinting at.

I agree but hyperbolic transformations are found everywhere. I could argue (probably to a lesser extent but still...) that the question is leading to split-complex numbers and their matrix representation.

Good spot, though. I don't really know much higher level physics so it's probably worth a read up for me.
Original post by SParm
I just scribbled down a solution quickly; but if you've equated the gradients; you should get tan a = tan b (where a is something to do with "r" and "s" and b is something to do with "q" and "p")...could you manipulate that somehow so you have tan c = 0? (Where c is something to with all four of those)...then you could consider what values c could take in the given range for tan c = 0

Ah yeah I got to the step before getting the tan a = tan b but didn't know what to do next, cheers for the help.
Reply 1816

That's what I like in STEP, to be honest. :tongue:
Original post by hplj
Anyone know how common it is for people to take STEP I in year 12??

I was thinking of sitting it, but finally I decided not to, because it's not worth the risk. Also, considering that STEP1 is relatively easy, it's doubtful it will help your application (unless you're sure you can get S :biggrin:).
It can be...but the context of the question (to me) frames it as a spatial variable

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I agree but hyperbolic transformations are found everywhere. I could argue (probably to a lesser extent but still...) that the question is leading to split-complex numbers and their matrix representation.

Good spot, though. I don't really know much higher level physics so it's probably worth a read up for me.

Fair enough but the results they ask you to prove are classic special relativity (imo): deriving the equation for a surface of proper time and showing that a beam of light is mapped to itself under lorentz transform. Also, look at what they've decided to call their variables i.e. v,v1,v2 and u which are our usual symbols for velocity and just happen to correspond to rapidity in this case.
Reply 1819
Original post by TheJ0ker
Ah yeah I got to the step before getting the tan a = tan b but didn't know what to do next, cheers for the help.

No problem, glad to be of assistance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending