The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gff
I feel addicted to all sorts of non-A-level related things, which reminds me that I have work to do. :biggrin:

I have set out a bargaining rule. I cannot do a STEP question until I go through a whole topic of something I'd rather leave until tomorrow. 2 weeks and I should be up to scratch with all my maths stuff but then to drag myself through the last unit of Physics *sigh*
Looks like there's a mistake on the TSR solution to STEP III 2004 Q5. Can anyone confirm?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=828655&page=2&p=17914028#post17914028

His solution to part i) doesn't seem to work - π2ω\frac{\pi}{2} - \omega doesn't seem right... according to my calculator at least :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xero Xenith
Looks like there's a mistake on the TSR solution to STEP III 2004 Q5. Can anyone confirm?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=828655&page=2&p=17914028#post17914028

His solution to part i) doesn't seem to work - π2ω\frac{\pi}{2} - \omega doesn't seem right... according to my calculator at least :tongue:

Yeah, there's something wrong with x=π2ωx=\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\omega although I haven't done the question/scrutinised the solution. The obvious reason being that cosx=5+7sinx\cos x = 5+7\sin x and looking at the ranges of the LHS and RHS, we require sinx<47\sin x < -\dfrac{4}{7} for any hope of a solution i.e. xx must be greater than π\pi.

Do you have a correct solution? If so feel free to post it up.
Show that [A] if and only if .
(Where A and B are statements)

To prove these type of questions, I usually show how [A] leads to , and then work backwards through the undertaken algebraic steps to show how leads back to [A], essentially repeating the method but in reverse... is this correct? How do you answer these type of questions?
Original post by snow leopard

To prove these type of questions, I usually show how [A] leads to , and then work backwards through the undertaken algebraic steps to show how leads back to [A], essentially repeating the method but in reverse... is this correct? How do you answer these type of questions?
Very much depends on the question, so probably best to give a specific example.
Original post by TheUltimateProof
My physics teachers are going to be so annoyed with me. I barely enjoy doing my A-levels maths work let alone opening a Physics textbook when I know there is a juicy STEP question to be hitting up. Anyone else feel addicted to STEP?

I feel the same, I'm worried that I spend too much time on STEP and as a result I will have difficulties with my school exams which are also very important...but so boring!
Original post by gff

I have to put away the solution to the problem below, so before I forget I'm going to put up the solution spoilered because it is really nice

Spoiler

SOLUTION:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by snow leopard

It really depends. Say if it said prove x^4 + x^2 - 2 = 0 if and only if x^2 = 1, x being real.

Then I'd just factorise and show what would make it equal to zero. And say x^2 cannot equal -2.

Very simplistic example but yeah. Its definitely not necessary to go over everything both ways.
Original post by hassi94
It really depends. Say if it said prove x^4 + x^2 - 2 = 0 if and only if x^2 = 1, x being real.

Then I'd just factorise and show what would make it equal to zero. And say x^2 cannot equal -2.

Very simplistic example but yeah. Its definitely not necessary to go over everything both ways.

It seems to me like it is usually possible in STEP to just use double implications at every step
Is anyone here going to the STEP class at Warwick tomorrow?
Original post by hassi94

I don't quite see how you've shown x^4 + x^2 - 2 = 0 if and only if x^2 = 1, x being real. You need to at least acknowledge the implication going in the other direction for it to be an iff.
As the Magic Man says, in STEP it's usually possible to just put     \iff without too much fallout (as long as you use common sense).
Original post by ben-smith
I don't quite see how you've shown x^4 + x^2 - 2 = 0 if and only if x^2 = 1, x being real. You need to at least acknowledge the implication going in the other direction for it to be an iff.
As the Magic Man says, in STEP it's usually possible to just put     \iff without too much fallout (as long as you use common sense).

Yes I would write the double implication sign there; that was sort of my point (though I definitely didn't make that clear in my post). I would acknowledge it but I wouldn't have to go back to the original equation and plug in x^2 = 1, because as you say usually in STEP it's fairly obvious (not quite as obvious as my example, though :tongue:) so instead of explaining why it is a double implication you just say it is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1892
Original post by TheMagicMan
I have to put away the solution to the problem below, so before I forget I'm going to put up the solution spoilered because it is really nice

I haven't had time for that, but will have half an hour go with it tonight before reading your post. :tongue:
Thanks for posting it.
Original post by TheMagicMan
It seems to me like it is usually possible in STEP to just use double implications at every step

Finally found the mark scheme and that's exactly what they did - use double implications at every step.

For anyone interested it was Q8(i) 2011 (Paper I).
Original post by zuzia.kru
I feel the same, I'm worried that I spend too much time on STEP and as a result I will have difficulties with my school exams which are also very important...but so boring!

I guess it works out well that I took quite a few exams early and don't need much UMS in physics otherwise I would be very worried. Feel sorry for people without Jan exams...
Original post by TheUltimateProof
I guess it works out well that I took quite a few exams early and don't need much UMS in physics otherwise I would be very worried. Feel sorry for people without Jan exams...

How many in Physics? 33/120 here :tongue:

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Yeah, there's something wrong with x=π2ωx=\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\omega although I haven't done the question/scrutinised the solution. The obvious reason being that cosx=5+7sinx\cos x = 5+7\sin x and looking at the ranges of the LHS and RHS, we require sinx<47\sin x < -\dfrac{4}{7} for any hope of a solution i.e. xx must be greater than π\pi.

Do you have a correct solution? If so feel free to post it up.

I don't have a correct solution (not one in terms of ω\omega anyway), and his seems to make no sense! I'll try again tomorrow maybe. :smile:

EDIT: turns out giving up is a good motivator! One coming shortly I think...

....and just noticed yours. Good solution :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

I don't have a correct solution (not one in terms of ω\omega anyway), and his seems to make no sense! I'll try again tomorrow maybe. :smile:

EDIT: turns out giving up is a good motivator! One coming shortly I think...

In hindsight, I should have left it for you given that you had spotted it but I had half an hour free earlier so thought why not and posted one up here. I hope you don't mind - I did tag you in as credit for noticing the mistake. :p:
In hindsight, I should have left it for you given that you had spotted it but I had half an hour free earlier so thought why not and posted one up here. I hope you don't mind - I did tag you in as credit for noticing the mistake. :p:

That's fine, yours is way better than the one I had planned.

But for part (ii), did you solve the quadratic? Would it have been sufficient just to...

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
That's fine, yours is way better than the one I had planned.

But for part (ii), did you solve the quadratic? Would it have been sufficient just to...

Spoiler

I did solve the quadratic. The only issue with your solution would be justifying the fact that there are only two values of xx which satisfy the quadratic in cosx\cos x.

Spoiler

I did solve the quadratic. The only issue with your solution would be justifying the fact that there are only two values of xx which satisfy the quadratic in cosx\cos x.

Spoiler

Would you not be able to...

Spoiler

This avoids the word "injective" which sounds a bit too bloody :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending