The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMagicMan
I edited now...forgot to change the limits in my last sub....

Some monstrous work there. Bravo!
This is a STEP question so there must be a quicker way.
Original post by ben-smith
Some monstrous work there. Bravo!
This is a STEP question so there must be a quicker way.

Second hardest integral question I've ever done I reckon...any more where that came from?
(edited 12 years ago)
Second hardest integral question I've ever done I reckon...any more where that came from?

Not to hand. tbh, do any physics and you'll soon bump into some disgusting integrals.
if that's what you like, I'm sure navier stokes is just round the corner for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1943

Which year is this?
Original post by gff
Which year is this?

I'm not sure it was a STEP question...I certainly don't remember doing that inteegral before (and it's too hard for STEP anyway)
Anyone want to give me a hint on how to do this integral?
0π/29cos2θsin2θ(cos3θ+sin3θ)2dθ\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi/2}\dfrac{9cos^2\theta sin^2\theta}{(cos^3\theta+sin^3 \theta)^2}d\theta
Having one of those days...

May be start like this?
:colone:
Original post by gff
Which year is this?

omg, this is so annoying:

Spoiler

Original post by Dog4444
May be start like this?
:colone:

I've got it now. Thanks for help though.:biggrin:

Spoiler

Where does this step come from? But if it's that simple I'm pissed :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Where does this step come from?

Symmetry about θ=π4\theta=\dfrac{\pi}{4} (notice that the substitution θ=π2ϕ\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2} - \phi leaves the integral unchanged).
Where does this step come from? But if it's that simple I'm pissed :s-smilie:

symmetry of curve
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Symmetry about θ=π4\theta=\dfrac{\pi}{4} (notice that the substitution θ=π2ϕ\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2} - \phi leaves the integral unchanged).

Yeah okay....I hate when you spend ages finding a really long and complicated solution when there's something that simple right there:angry:

Spoiler

I have to say... This infuriates me. There I was, trying to integrate over a contour when I could have just done this.
Well that was productive...
Yeah okay....I hate when you spend ages finding a really long and complicated solution when there's something that simple right there:angry:

I know the feeling.
You can turn it into (18(1+cos(4x)))(10+6cos(4x)+3sin(2x)sin(6x))\frac{-(18 (-1+cos(4 x)))}{(10+6 cos(4 x)+3 sin(2 x)-sin(6 x))}

Can you show some general steps how you got there?
Reply 1956

Ah, fair enough. I thought about trying to divide by something, but didn't think of using symmetry.

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I have to say... This infuriates me. There I was, trying to integrate over a contour when I could have just done this.

I used the quotient rule and turned this into a differential equation, whose solution I reckon you don't want to see. :biggrin:
I'm doing a question and it says show

4(1cosα)(1cosβ)=cosα+cosβ 4(1-\cos\alpha)(1-\cos\beta) = \cos\alpha +\cos\beta

Now I have expressions for both cosa and cos b in terms of the same 2 variables. Is it sufficient for me to just sub into the above equation and show that L.H.S = R.H.S to finish the question?
Original post by TheJ0ker
I'm doing a question and it says show

4(1cosα)(1cosβ)=cosα+cosβ 4(1-\cos\alpha)(1-\cos\beta) = \cos\alpha +\cos\beta

Now I have expressions for both cosa and cos b in terms of the same 2 variables. Is it sufficient for me to just sub into the above equation and show that L.H.S = R.H.S to finish the question?

Sounds OK, just don't make it look like you're assuming what your given.
FARHAN

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending