The Student Room Group

Maastricht Applicants 2012?

Scroll to see replies

I just looked it up on their website. What's the difference with Economics and Econometrics? Are you applying to all Dutch Unis or some some UK, if so which ones? Are they different systems so you can apply to 5 British and 5 Dutch?
Reply 261
Econometrics is more mathematical models to predict economic situations, I have applied to 5 English and 1 Dutch.
Reply 262
Original post by GeorgeN11
Has anyone applied to courses which have a decentralised selection process, a course which has numerous fixus, a course with limited numbers of places? For example International Business or Medicine.

If so, did you get a place and if you did, what grades did you get?

I have been offered a place to study International Business starting in September with predictions of AAA* (one in Maths, maths is compulsory for IB) and a very good work experience reference.
Original post by jhenryg
Econometrics is more mathematical models to predict economic situations, I have applied to 5 English and 1 Dutch.

Ah ok I predict your UK subject was Economics? What're you A-levels and GCSEs like?
Reply 264
GCSE's were not great, 1A* 5A's 4B's and a C then I put some effot in and am looking at an ABB-ABC if all goes well... My UK uni's were Swansea, Reading, Loughborough, Newcastle and Leeds :smile:
Reply 265
By the sounds of it, the IB course is one of the most popular, due to the fact it has been a numerous fixus course for quite sometime. There are other courses within Maastricht which require just 2 E's. I hope to study Law, which is turning into a numerous fixus in 2013.

Also, when is the earliest that you can find out if you are admitted or not? I know some people that applied and knew their status before the open day in early April.
Reply 266
By the sounds of it, the IB course is one of the most popular, due to the fact it has been a numerous fixus course for quite sometime. There are other courses within Maastricht which require just 2 E's. I hope to study Law, which is turning into a numerous fixus in 2013.

Also, when is the earliest that you can find out if you are admitted or not? I know some people that applied and knew their status before the open day in early April.

For my course I just need a "secondary leaving certificate" for which in the UK you need to get two A-Levels at any passing grade, so yes.. 2 E's :biggrin: I found out about a month ago that I was admissible so now just waiting to get my results in august so I can get over there :smile:
What is the best University in Holland for Economics or Engineering?
Reply 268
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

Google is your friend
Reply 269
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

Maastricht, Utrecht, UvA, Erasmus Rotterdam. All these are good.
Original post by vazee
Maastricht, Utrecht, UvA, Erasmus Rotterdam. All these are good.

Would any of these be on par with Uni's like Oxford or Warwick etc? The resources for top unis in Google aren't too good..
Original post by jhenryg
Google is your friend

Thanks! It says Erasmus is good but on employability it says 40 and Harvard was given 100. Obviously Harvard is a lot better but are these bad figures?
Reply 271
My theory is that if you're applying for a job in London and there are 10 candidates with identical qualifications and you are the one with a degree based in Europe so you have a different view of things, I believe it would give you a little bit of stand out'ness
Reply 272

I got admitted for law programme two months after I applied, and yes they do send out offers before the open day.
Reply 273
When is the earliest you can apply? This will be for September 2013 entry.
Original post by jhenryg
My theory is that if you're applying for a job in London and there are 10 candidates with identical qualifications and you are the one with a degree based in Europe so you have a different view of things, I believe it would give you a little bit of stand out'ness

Plus hopefully in Maastricht you will have picked up a language or two... pimps the CV a lot.
When is the earliest you can apply? This will be for September 2013 entry.

I think it's sometime in September, not sure of any exact dates sorry. I applied in November though, a couple of weeks before the first open day, & I believe I was relatively early at applying although it may differ depending on the competitiveness to get onto the course. But it's best to get it over & done with I suppose because it is a long drawn out process that spans for the academic year, I didn't properly get any worthy information, regarding further elements of my admission until March I believe.
Good luck for applying :smile:
Reply 276
Original post by LPickering
I think it's sometime in September, not sure of any exact dates sorry. I applied in November though, a couple of weeks before the first open day, & I believe I was relatively early at applying although it may differ depending on the competitiveness to get onto the course. But it's best to get it over & done with I suppose because it is a long drawn out process that spans for the academic year, I didn't properly get any worthy information, regarding further elements of my admission until March I believe.
Good luck for applying :smile:

Thankyou for the information! :biggrin: Do you mind me asking which course you applied for, also, have you received admission yet? If not, I hope it turns out as you hope.

All the best, George.
Thankyou for the information! :biggrin: Do you mind me asking which course you applied for, also, have you received admission yet? If not, I hope it turns out as you hope.

All the best, George.

Thanks :smile: I applied for European Studies and received a conditional acceptance onto the course about a month ago- after I completed the compulsory questionnaire/survey, all I have to do now is meet three legal requirements (Y). The deadline isn't until August 1st so I'm well prepared & should have everything admission related set in stone by June/July.

I don't know if you plan on visiting for an open day next year but I would recommend it; if you're able to. Purely to just get a feel for the city & enlighten you on anything specific to your course, all of the staff & students involved in the day are extremely helpful & will give you firsthand advice about your course or about student life in general. :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by LPickering
Thanks :smile: I applied for European Studies and received a conditional acceptance onto the course about a month ago- after I completed the compulsory questionnaire/survey, all I have to do now is meet three legal requirements (Y). The deadline isn't until August 1st so I'm well prepared & should have everything admission related set in stone by June/July.

I don't know if you plan on visiting for an open day next year but I would recommend it; if you're able to. Purely to just get a feel for the city & enlighten you on anything specific to your course, all of the staff & students involved in the day are extremely helpful & will give you firsthand advice about your course or about student life in general. :smile:

Thats good news! :biggrin: I have already been to an Open Day, I went in April. Really enjoyed it, Maastricht is a great place. Do you mind me asking what are the legal requirements? Is that just regarding showing that you are an EU citizen etc?
Thats good news! :biggrin: I have already been to an Open Day, I went in April. Really enjoyed it, Maastricht is a great place. Do you mind me asking what are the legal requirements? Is that just regarding showing that you are an EU citizen etc?

That's good to hear then, the open day was the best I went to, I went to two in the UK & they were s*** in comparison.
For the requirements I've had to mail them a certified copy of my GCSE's, upload my passport to the My UM portal (although I had already done this as part of the admission so there was no need to upload again) & finally I need to arrange the paying of my fees, however they contact me at a later date about this (it's sometime in June I believe)- 2/3 completed so far, now I'm just waiting on them to further the process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending