The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dem gorilla arms.

Nah fair enough, I'm also very worried about RC injuries. You mess up your RC and you can't do half the **** you could do.
Original post by Herr Stamper
In 2011 I deadlifted a very difficult 325kg raw, this year I've done a comfy 320kg (+5kg I'd say as I reckon 330kg would've gone)

I thought your 320kg was a new WR but you lifted 5kg more last year?

Also, loving the reaction to the madcows thing i posted.
Original post by Motorbiker
I thought your 320kg was a new WR but you lifted 5kg more last year?

Also, loving the reaction to the madcows thing i posted.

325kg is a gym lift. As are all the others. The video's I post aren't actually me..
Thanks for the detailed reply. Its good to be able to train everything. My left shoulder is impinged atm but I can get away with horizontal push/pull, so only means no OHP/raises which I can live with.

I was more after your initial years, like years 1 - 3, then 4,5 up until now.

Was reading tom martins log and was just trying to gauge how people progress in the initial 2-3 years, (not that, that has anything to do with my progress or projected potential), more out of curiosity.

In 2011 I deadlifted a very difficult 325kg raw, this year I've done a comfy 320kg (+5kg I'd say as I reckon 330kg would've gone)
I started 2011 benching 100, and finished with a PB of 120 (+20kg)
Squat I didn't really make any progress, I narrowed my stance and dropped the knee wraps, I think I got up to 180 x 8 (maybe more, I can't remember) raw, which Im building back up to. Put that into a 1rm calculator and you get around 230kg. I squatted 250kg in wraps last year so maybe 255-260kg (+5-10kg)

So the main theme is I'm lucky to get 10kg a year out of my dead and squat at the mo, although I think I could do more to improve on the squat. Bench has seen some solid progress. Last year was a decent year and the first in a very long time where I was able to train the big 3 simultaneously.
Original post by redbuthotter
Thanks for the detailed reply. Its good to be able to train everything. My left shoulder is impinged atm but I can get away with horizontal push/pull, so only means no OHP/raises which I can live with.

I was more after your initial years, like years 1 - 3, then 4,5 up until now.

Was reading tom martins log and was just trying to gauge how people progress in the initial 2-3 years, (not that, that has anything to do with my progress or projected potential), more out of curiosity.

For the first 2.5 years I did bodybuilding style. Theres a quote from 08 stating;

95kg
Squat - 170kg
Deadlift - 200kg

Near enough 4 years (-2 months). As far as what went on in between there and 2011 its a bit of a blur tbh. I don't really remember specifics. I think I pulled 300 in a squat suit in 2010, so thats around 80kg in 2 years on the raw deadlift. Squat is more dificult to gauge as I've been in and out of equipment. With regards to bench, basically disregard the time gap lol.

You may think 80kg is a lot for 2 years but you have to remember I never used special exercises before. When I introduced speed pulls my deadlift went up. When I introduced rack pulls, my deadlift went up. Now im doing more SLDL and my deadlift is going up, but at a slower rate these days. Same with deficits, bands etc etc.

I don't advocate SS/Texas Method etc to beginners because I think you can get strong while bodybuilding. I think most things when you start lifting will get you stronger, so capatilise on the 'noob' muscle gains while you can, build the foundation etc.

There isn't a book on this thought, but its just my opinion, and to be honest, I don't know why beginners jump straight onto strength programs. I wait for the day when a really strong powerlifter/strongman gets interviewed and says they started out on SS.
...anyway

Was going to throw in a bit of volume tonight but it was busy so didn't do a lot

Warmed up with 3 x 20kg DB incline

Floor Press - Close Grip

80kg x 5
90kg x 3
100kg x 2
110kg x 1
120kg x 1 PB - Tricep strengh is coming along
Cool, thanks. How did you implement speed and rack work. Would speed 1 - 2 times a week and heavy racks once a fornight work? What kind of loading/programming did you use for the racks?

After near enough 3 years training I can pull 220, but its never been "smart" training. Always just linearly progression, and intermittent pulling. I added speed about half a year ago and saw improvements (probs what got me from 200 - 220), but now I need to take training to next level. Any suggestions?
Reply 107
Cool, thanks. How did you implement speed and rack work. Would speed 1 - 2 times a week and heavy racks once a fornight work? What kind of loading/programming did you use for the racks?

After near enough 3 years training I can pull 220, but its never been "smart" training. Always just linearly progression, and intermittent pulling. I added speed about half a year ago and saw improvements (probs what got me from 200 - 220), but now I need to take training to next level. Any suggestions?

my bros pulling slightly more then you after 2 yrs, identify weaknesses and hammer them i guess. deadlfit variations are frikkin fun ;P
Well its a bit of a dilema, I'm not built for pulling (long torso/short legs) - hence round back style.

I'm bad at lockouts.. so it makes sense to overload racks. However with roundback by the time I reach knees that position is totally different to what I would use to setup from rack, so how do? lol

Chains and bands would work, but thats simply not happening in david lloyds.

Original post by Gallium
my bros pulling slightly more then you after 2 yrs, identify weaknesses and hammer them i guess. deadlfit variations are frikkin fun ;P
Reply 109
Well its a bit of a dilema, I'm not built for pulling (long torso/short legs) - hence round back style.

I'm bad at lockouts.. so it makes sense to overload racks. However with roundback by the time I reach knees that position is totally different to what I would use to setup from rack, so how do? lol

Chains and bands would work, but thats simply not happening in david lloyds.

david lloydsss lol, thats like 50 quid a month right?
Depends on the membership plan and club. I'm on weekend membership at their fitness club which is £15/month.

Full time there is like £40-50. Full time at their premium clubs is £95+ and vantage (can go to any club) is £130 or so.

Original post by Gallium
david lloydsss lol, thats like 50 quid a month right?

Drop deadlifting. 8 weeks of SLDL and deficits. Beat the last workout. Go back to the deadlift. Profit??

I don't do any loading or programming. I pulled a set of 12 yesterday, I don't think i've ever done 12 reps on the deadlift, it just so happened that was what was available. I try to peak for a comp, but thats just gradually adding weight every week, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I implemented speed work after I heard and read about Westside, and pretty much started using a westside template. Then realised it wasn't for me but I kept that exercise in the bag. Same goes for using bands. Same for lockouts. Used one once, exhausted it, swapped it for something else. Now I have to throw everything at it plus the kitchen sink to get it moving.

Theres nothing 'smart' about my training imo. As Gallium said identify the weakness and hit it. Im doing that with my bench now aswell. I've increased my work capacity over time so I can train heavier, more frequently. Its a key issue for me when you're not looking to put on any weight due to weight classes etc

A good gym is under rated, I think i've been lucky with Aberdeen in that where ever I've gone, I've been training exactly how I want to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 112
One of the beasts of TSR, sound advice :shades:
Recent lifting

Squat - 180kg x 3 (easy)
SLDL - 290kg x 1
CGBP - 100kg x 6 (comfy)
12" Deadlift - 300kg x 3
Floor press - 115kg x 2

Squats are coming along, bench is getting there, deadlift fluctuates. Somes things up quite nicely
I don't advocate SS/Texas Method etc to beginners because I think you can get strong while bodybuilding. I think most things when you start lifting will get you stronger, so capatilise on the 'noob' muscle gains while you can, build the foundation etc.

There isn't a book on this thought, but its just my opinion, and to be honest, I don't know why beginners jump straight onto strength programs. I wait for the day when a really strong powerlifter/strongman gets interviewed and says they started out on SS.

Sorry could you just expand your thoughts on this?

Do you mean beginners should move more towards a split, more towards higher rep/set schemes or more towards accessory/isolation exercises? What specific part of BB do you think works well with beginners.
Original post by warwickorbristol
Sorry could you just expand your thoughts on this?

Do you mean beginners should move more towards a split, more towards higher rep/set schemes or more towards accessory/isolation exercises? What specific part of BB do you think works well with beginners.

Essentially my thought is when you're first starting out you'll gain strength anyway, if you're adding weight to the bar, whether you're doing 8-12 reps or 3-5. The other adaptation you're body is primed for is building muscle. I'd want to take advantage of both, which I don't think you get with any of the novice strength programs, regardless of how much milk you drink..

The one thing i'd want to be doing when I first start is hammer myself has hard as possible to reap the most rewards from the adaptation. I don't think a novice strength template does that at all.
hmmm you're pretty much contradicting all the advice given to n00bs wanting to build muscle on TSR :holmes:
Reply 117
Essentially my thought is when you're first starting out you'll gain strength anyway, if you're adding weight to the bar, whether you're doing 8-12 reps or 3-5. The other adaptation you're body is primed for is building muscle. I'd want to take advantage of both, which I don't think you get with any of the novice strength programs, regardless of how much milk you drink..

The one thing i'd want to be doing when I first start is hammer myself has hard as possible to reap the most rewards from the adaptation. I don't think a novice strength template does that at all.

not that i'm experienced or anything, but i think an upper/lower(low volume high frequency) is pretty good for a beginner.

so essentially your hitting most bodyparts twice per week.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
hmmm you're pretty much contradicting all the advice given to n00bs wanting to build muscle on TSR :holmes:

Yeah, 'noobs' giving 'noobs' advice. Funny ain't it.
Original post by Gallium
not that i'm experienced or anything, but i think an upper/lower(low volume high frequency) is pretty good for a beginner.

so essentially your hitting most bodyparts twice per week.

I used to train legs twice a week, back once, and chest/shoulders the other. But I favoured legs and back over anything else so really spent most of my time doing squats and deadlifts, rows, chins, leg presses, leg curls/extensions and the odd bench press when I could be bothered. I couldn't walk out of the gym properly after a legs session.

Now im pressing more my physique is balancing out.

I did high volume, low frequency and got my squat and deadlift up aswell as adding a lot of muscle to those bodyparts. You do 40 sets a week working the legs, concentrate on your diet and you're going to get stronger and add quality weight. 40 sets might be overkill, but if you're recovering is it really? I think the body can be pushed harder, I pushed mine a lot harder at the start then I do now and reaped the rewards.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest