The Student Room Group

In light of my new training method Im going to actually use this blog to keep track of the weights and numbers, whereas I didn't really need to in the second half of 2011.

My PB's from 2011 where 250/120/335. I was weighing between 84kg/86kg in the evenings which for me is 81kg-83kg in the mornings. Over Christmas I was 82.5kg.

My main goal for this year is to put on muscle while remaining in the same condition. I'd like to get up to 93kg in the evenings which will mean come competition day weigh in i'll be a full 90kg (I was 83.something at my last comp). Obviously i'd like to increase my strength aswell, squat and bench being the priority.

My squat has been pretty stagnant now for a considerable amount of time and since switching to a narrower stance i've had a few injuries, one of which I have right now (and will rule me out of the BDFPA Scottish qualifier), and a general loss in outright kg's. Bench has come on well since increasing the pressing volume. Deadlift is as usual, increasing slowly.

I had one session over Christmas, so im getting back into it, right leg aside, and enjoying my sessions.

Split looks something like Back/Chest+Bi/Legs/Shoulders+Traps+Tris. This is a real shake up for me, so Im hoping this will help break through some plateus.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Herr Stamper
In light of my new training method Im going to actually use this blog to keep track of the weights and numbers, whereas I didn't really need to in the second half of 2011.

My PB's from 2011 where 250/120/335. I was weighing between 84kg/86kg in the evenings which for me is 81kg-83kg in the mornings. Over Christmas I was 82.5kg.

My main goal for this year is to put on muscle while remaining in the same condition. I'd like to get up to 93kg in the evenings which will mean come competition day weigh in i'll be a full 90kg (I was 83.something at my last comp). Obviously i'd like to increase my strength aswell, squat and bench being the priority.

My squat has been pretty stagnant now for a considerable amount of time and since switching to a narrower stance i've had a few injuries, one of which I have right now (and will rule me out of the BDFPA Scottish qualifier), and a general loss in outright kg's. Bench has come on well since increasing the pressing volume. Deadlift is as usual, increasing slowly.

I had one session over Christmas, so im getting back into it, right leg aside, and enjoying my sessions.

Split looks something like Back/Chest+Bi/Legs/Shoulders+Traps+Tris. This is a real shake up for me, so Im hoping this will help break through some plateus.

Psst. You've posted in the main forum, not the blog forum :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Cirsium
Psst. You've posted in the main forum, not the blog forum :wink:

Schoolboy error :facepalm:
Reply 3
Finished work early so went to the gym this afternoon to hit the back.

16" Deadlift - Stiff legged due to crocked knee

70kg x 5
120kg x 5
170kg x 5
210kg x 5
260kg x 5 - Comfy

Best from this height, everything good, is 290kg x 8 with some left in the tank/360kg 1rm (suited)

Barbell row

70kg x 5
90kg x 5
110kg x 5
120kg x 5
90kg x 8
70kg x 8

Row machine - 3 working sets
Lat pull down - 3 working sets

Pumped, worked hard and now enjoying a nice glass of sauvignon blanc :colone:
Glasses of wine are part of my diet, aids a good nights sleep and thus recovery - thats my excuse anyway :biggrin:
Reply 4
Looks good.
Reply 5
I was going through your old blogs earlier. Strong stuff , make sure you keep update this regularly :tongue:
Reply 6
Had a chest session earlier in the week, nothing to write home about. I did the back workout a day or two prior and didn't have a massive amount of power when pressing so I think Im going to switch back and legs around, so I don't compromise chest and shoulders.

Did a legs session last night but not feeling massively confident with my knee so nothing was 100%

Think I did 250kg SLDL, 110, 120, 130 GM for 5's, and finished with 3 x 20 on the GHR, everything was not a massive amount of effort tbh.

Tried squatting after but got 2/3 down and got knee pain so will leave it for another week before trying again.
Reply 7
Now have a cold don't I? Probably the worst start to a year I've had. Went to the gym anyway yesterday to do some shoulders. Worked up to 70 x 3 strict press, and finished with a whole host of lat raises. Just went in to get a bit of work done, if only light work.

Decided Im going to go down to the Scottish qualifier at the end of the week, do a single lift, and hopefully by the time the British single's comes round in a few weeks I'll be able to put some power down and shift something heavier.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ridiculous lifts! What height are you?
Reply 9
Last time I was measured I was 5'11
Original post by Herr Stamper
Decided Im going to go down to the Scottish qualifier at the end of the week, do a single lift, and hopefully by the time the British single's comes round in a few weeks I'll be able to put some power down and shift something heavier.

What do you reckon you will be able to lift this week at the scottish qualifiers then?
Reply 11
Original post by MHorman
What do you reckon you will be able to lift this week at the scottish qualifiers then?

Not a lot tbh mate, my knee is getting better day by day and I will test it out tonight with some lifting. I only have to hit a 230kg or so deadlift to qualify for Brits/Euro's/Worlds etc so I have an easy day. One of my friends will be at his first comp, and I've got another friend competing so I'll be sorting them out more then myself.

Further down the line at the British at the very least I expect to hit a competition PB on the deadlift (currently 320kg), and I'd love an outright PB but It's only a month away but we'll see what happens. My lower back strength is there, just hope I can get some drive off the floor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Back session

Weighing in at 84kg, im in danger of being in the 82's a week on Sunday lol

Felt a bit more confident with my knee and decided tonight was the night to see whats what,

Pulled from 12-13" height, for me the hardest position to pull from

For those not accustomed to the heights etc heres a video from 15" to give you an idea, so between there and the floor

Topsets were 260kg, 280kg and 300kg. My aim prior, knee being ok, was 280kg, so Im pleased to lift 300kg, was probably 90% effort or so.

Barbell row

70kg x 5
90kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kgx 5
Drop sets at 100kg and 70kg

Seated row

Not really worried about the weight, but did a few sets at 10 reps and a couple drop sets to finish.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Had an ultra quick session last night, due to plans etc. Had to be a quick one anyway but I was catching up with a pal of mine, Ken Nowicki (2nd at UKSM '11) so all I managed were a few sets of 40kg dumbell press and 3 sets on the incline smith machine lol.

I don't know why but I keep thinking the quali is this weekend, it's not, its the last weekend of this month. I've commited myself now to this comp and the Brits in Birmingham. I've checked out travel to and from France were the world singles are and that looks very doable. After the Brits operation pull 350kg will be in full flow :smile:
Reply 14
Wasn't really recovered from the back session earlier in the week but decided to go in and get some work done as Im on holiday from this afternoon - Monday

SLDL

70kg x 5
120kg x 5
160kg x 3
200kg x 3
240kg x 1 - Too slow, obviously not recovered so left it.

Wasn't sure what to do so I decided to try squatting, knee sleeves and belt

60kg with my usual stance - had a bit of knee pain
60kg with my old wide stance - less knee pain but still there
60kg hybrid stance - even less knee pain but still a niggle
I put another pair of 20's on and went again - no additional pain
Same again, up to 140kg, no increase in pain

It feels a bit strange today, so I'll rest it over the weekend - use the anti-inflam's i've been using and see what knee wraps at 150kg feels like on Tuesday.
Reply 15

The image above pretty much sums up my past 3 days. Hiking up snow capped peaks, Wooden Lodge and a hot tub. Throw in a few bottles of my favourite cider and it's pretty much a relaxation PB.

I love small trips like this, I think i've significantly improved my lifestyle since beginning my job after graduating last year but I've adapted very quickly. Now I want more, of everything. When you're driving alongsie beautiful lochs and you see wooden, brick and stone lodges, houses and sometimes mansions hidden away or being built its nothing short of inspirational, for me anyway. I come back feeling motivated for work, to do a good job and become more successfull and perhaps one day, I'll build my own. Anyway, onto tonight..

Deadlift

70kg x 3
120kg x 3
170kg x 3
210kg x 3
240kg x 1
270kg x 1 - Prett fast, as it should be - surprising though as I haven't deadlifted normally for a month and a half or so.

Medium stance GM

70kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 5

Hanging Leg raises - 20, 15, 15

May do some speed work on Thursday along with squats, as I didn't feel like doing them tonight, but if not looking in decent shape.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Gorgeous picture!

I found my weekend away had the same effect, was really motivated to train and re-energised for work. Definitely the way forward! I always wish it could be just one more day though :p:
Reply 17
Upper session

CGBP

50kg x 3
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg x 3
90kg x 8
Normal grip drop sets
80kg x 8, 60kg x 8, 40kg x 12

Strict press

40kg x 3
50kg x 3
60kg x 3
65kg x 3 - Triceps destroyed, absolutely no power left

Might swap these two around next time

Shrugs

70kg x 8
110kg x 8
140kg x 3 x 10

Preacher curls - 3 sets
Hammer curls s/s lateral raises - 5 sets

Nice easy session, working up a sweat, trying to improve my CGPB and hopefully this will translate into a bigger bench press
Yeah overhead pressing first will still leave you fairly fresh for benching of any sort after whereas benching first will impair your ability to overhead after to a much larger extent.
Reply 19
Yeah I think you're right. I don't do much OH volume either so it'll warm up the muscles and joints for bench.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply