The Student Room Group

AUCB / Bournemouth Arts College University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wicked! They flick through your work quite quickly, and I bought 3 projects with me but they only really looked at 2. I bought all 3 because I wanted to show the versatility in my work, and the guy ended up flocking through as much as he could. They're only like 15-20 minute interviews, and mostly a chat! (Well mine was). If I was you, I would just follow the expectations of the portfolio guidelines and maybe do some bits in your spare time to show commitment. They're looking for potential, and if they've been specific in the portfolio guidelines, then you should follow it tbh. My mate's gone for the same course and she's doing everything they ask. It's not that bad tho because I know that some other places, like West Thames, have asked for people to submit a whole portfolio (separate to what you're current working on), which is way too much for me to handle lol. You're a mature student, you should be fine, just do some projects or pieces on make up, and take photographs, bring them with you, show your enthusiasm. Did you apply directly through AUCB, or through UCAS? X
Just got an email saying theyve recieved my application, hate it when unis do that getting me excited for nothing ahaa!! what size was your portfolio? im working on mine at the moment not really sure how many sheets to put in, mines a1 so theyre taking agessss xx
Reply 22
Looool, yeah they'll also write to you through the post, so don't panic when you get that through - I did that, **** myself literally aha!

Well one project, with 2 folders was A2 sized, really big, and so heavy, so avoid that if you can lol. Others were A3, it's all you need mate. What kind of work have you already got? What stuff you gonna put in your portfolio? If you can, try and have some research / analytical stuff, or even a few pages like a scrap book, just to show where you got the inspiration from. What stuff you working on?

My mate who's gone for it has a really good portfolio, and her interview is on Weds. She's organised it in a really neat way, in one of those leather big professional case things, but I didn't bother with anything like that, I just bought my graphics folders as normal lol. She's been to LCF to do a make-up course and has a little bit of stuff on that, but she's bringing most of her photography work (where she's had to dress the subject, or put make-up on them, etc)... X
Reply 23
Original post by Meatball91

Ello! Yeah the interview was alright, more of a chat and relating to what you know and what you wanna do when you finish. I do graphic design A level, and the interviewer seemed to be ok with it all - got an offer today! AUCB here I come, so bloody happy, it was my first choice yeah! I just know so many people who have been rejected as they get a ridiculous number of applicants. Where have you applied for? How well have you guys done so far?

OMG congratz! i have applied to hertfordshire, middlesex, northampton, de montfort and portsmouth. middlesex and northampton's interviews next week and de motnfort a week after, my portfolio isnt sorted yet:/ i dotn know what kind of stuff i need to include, any advice? or what did you include in yours?

congratulation again on your offer!
I have applied for Film Production and got an offer for their year 0 :smile:
My fine art tutor advised us to work on an a1b portfolio so I've got a big a1 folder I'm just working on some development and presentation sheets, trying to include my best projects and some drawings because all of my other work is installation and sculpture. Iv also got two sketchbooks I'm going to bring, thought itd be best to only put things in that I can talk about quite well. Praying my folders not too heavy, it'll be a nightmare on the trains cause ill have to go through london arghh xx
Hey guys.. Ive just got an interview for make-up for media and performance for the 15th of feb, has anyone else applied for it and got an interview for around that time? Also has anyone visited the uni at all? I applied with really knowing what its like
Reply 27
Original post by Elizabeth.
Film Production :smile:

Yay! I got an offer from AUCB film production too :biggrin: Will see you in September :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by lesscommon
OMG congratz! i have applied to hertfordshire, middlesex, northampton, de montfort and portsmouth. middlesex and northampton's interviews next week and de motnfort a week after, my portfolio isnt sorted yet:/ i dotn know what kind of stuff i need to include, any advice? or what did you include in yours?

congratulation again on your offer!

Cheers! So happy!

They go through your work quickly, so put in things that you are confident to talk about, but try to have a variation. I bought all portfolios I had, so three projects, bur it wasn't needed. On the open day, they say to bring 2-3 projects, and to also highlight your favourite out of all pieces. Bring what you can, even if it's not all that developed, try to bring work that shows different media, etc. I study graphic design at college ATM and it's all 2D based, so if you have anything on 3D, they like to see photographs of it! Most of my work is photography, graphic design (like typography and experimentation with media, texture and colour), and poster design, fashion promo design. So although the stuff I'm doing isn't really related to architecture, I have shown the versatility in my work, as well as computer skills, and if you have sketches/drawings, they love it! I have some life drawings and the guy loved mine, and I did some illustrations as well, using inks, and they're examples of the body parts, mostly bones, sounds weird but he liked the creativity.

Good luck, don't worry about it too much. My mate had her interview yesterday with the make up course. She's not that confident because of the experience that the other people have had!

Anyone else got into Interior Architecture? X
Wicked! They flick through your work quite quickly, and I bought 3 projects with me but they only really looked at 2. I bought all 3 because I wanted to show the versatility in my work, and the guy ended up flocking through as much as he could. They're only like 15-20 minute interviews, and mostly a chat! (Well mine was). If I was you, I would just follow the expectations of the portfolio guidelines and maybe do some bits in your spare time to show commitment. They're looking for potential, and if they've been specific in the portfolio guidelines, then you should follow it tbh. My mate's gone for the same course and she's doing everything they ask. It's not that bad tho because I know that some other places, like West Thames, have asked for people to submit a whole portfolio (separate to what you're current working on), which is way too much for me to handle lol. You're a mature student, you should be fine, just do some projects or pieces on make up, and take photographs, bring them with you, show your enthusiasm. Did you apply directly through AUCB, or through UCAS? X

i apllied through ucas because thats what the aucb website told me to do i think? my portfolios a big a1 leather thing cos most of my work is fine art based. im not really including any of my a level work cos it was so long ago now and im not really happy with it so just putting in one a1 oil painting and sketchbook that goes with it and then ive got some life drawings, a2 pencil portraits which is what my main strength is in and some a2 couloured oil pastel portraits, and ive got a charcoal self portrait aswell. i get paid next week so im going to buy some body paints and make up and so do some detailed body painting in my own style now i think after what uve said. ive also got a silk screen print which is degree standard and a sketchbook to go with it as i did textiles aswell but have no general sketchbooks really as i dont work like that :s. nearly all of the work in my portfolio has been done in my spare time though. im also going to start getting into chalk pastels again and see if i come up with anything im happy to add to it. thanks uve been a big help! x
Reply 30

Cheers! So happy!

They go through your work quickly, so put in things that you are confident to talk about, but try to have a variation. I bought all portfolios I had, so three projects, bur it wasn't needed. On the open day, they say to bring 2-3 projects, and to also highlight your favourite out of all pieces. Bring what you can, even if it's not all that developed, try to bring work that shows different media, etc. I study graphic design at college ATM and it's all 2D based, so if you have anything on 3D, they like to see photographs of it! Most of my work is photography, graphic design (like typography and experimentation with media, texture and colour), and poster design, fashion promo design. So although the stuff I'm doing isn't really related to architecture, I have shown the versatility in my work, as well as computer skills, and if you have sketches/drawings, they love it! I have some life drawings and the guy loved mine, and I did some illustrations as well, using inks, and they're examples of the body parts, mostly bones, sounds weird but he liked the creativity.

Good luck, don't worry about it too much. My mate had her interview yesterday with the make up course. She's not that confident because of the experience that the other people have had!

Anyone else got into Interior Architecture? X

ahh okay, thank you very much!:smile: i have few pieces of life drawings but my teacher told me not to put them in sleeves just leave them loose, because they dont really like life drawings, but ive heard from people that they love to see drawings for our course so i dont know what order to put my life drawings, whether to leave them loose or put the in sleeves but at the back? any advice? :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by lipglossandblack
i apllied through ucas because thats what the aucb website told me to do i think? my portfolios a big a1 leather thing cos most of my work is fine art based. im not really including any of my a level work cos it was so long ago now and im not really happy with it so just putting in one a1 oil painting and sketchbook that goes with it and then ive got some life drawings, a2 pencil portraits which is what my main strength is in and some a2 couloured oil pastel portraits, and ive got a charcoal self portrait aswell. i get paid next week so im going to buy some body paints and make up and so do some detailed body painting in my own style now i think after what uve said. ive also got a silk screen print which is degree standard and a sketchbook to go with it as i did textiles aswell but have no general sketchbooks really as i dont work like that :s. nearly all of the work in my portfolio has been done in my spare time though. im also going to start getting into chalk pastels again and see if i come up with anything im happy to add to it. thanks uve been a big help! x

Yeah that sounds cool, like honestly don't worry too much. They do look at your work, and by doing most of it in your own time make sure you tell them, so that then this shows dedication. If you are looking at make up, I would definitely say that you need something for make up. Drawing, etc, shows your art ability, which is fair enough, but when they asked me about the architecture course I've applied for - they wanted to know why 3D and no longer 2D? Because I do graphics, pretty much 95% of my work is 2D based. Doesn't matter what size, I always prefer bigger but it's a nightmare to carry lol. Have a few pages on designer's work that inspire you too, and try to duplicate their technique, but applying it to your own art. If there's work you don't like, don't bother bringing it, because you won't end up saying positive things about it. You're better off bringing 4 pieces of art work where you can talk about how much you like them, etc, rather than bringing a whole portfolio (with 20 pages that won't be thoroughly looked at) - and not liking it.

Also they may ask you to turn to a favourite bit, or the most inspirational. Or they may ask you about make up designers, or current trends especially. My mate just prepared her portfolio in a proper nice leather A1 case, with the sleeves and presented her work with research, then development, then final. So it was cut down from a project size of like 60 pages to around 6 pages. They literally flick through your work so quickly, well they did to me, because they wanna know more about you and what you wanna get out of this. There were some other girls who literally had it presented so neatly, which I did, but a lot of pages had inspiration from artists or works where I literally created almost "scrap" pages if that makes sense? It wasn't neatly presented on those pages, but it shows my thinking I guess. They want it organised though, but that's all really. When's the interview? You had one yet? X
Reply 32
Original post by lesscommon
ahh okay, thank you very much!:smile: i have few pieces of life drawings but my teacher told me not to put them in sleeves just leave them loose, because they dont really like life drawings, but ive heard from people that they love to see drawings for our course so i dont know what order to put my life drawings, whether to leave them loose or put the in sleeves but at the back? any advice? :tongue:

I have loads of stuff like I said from life drawings, to general typographic designs, photography, etc. It's not what the actual drawing or subject is, it's more about the technique and the design that you did. If you don't wanna put certain things in, then you don't have to I guess. Just bring what you're confident to talk about. I bought all projects because I can discuss them as I did the work and tend to get on with it. I sit up til like 3am sometimes doing graphics because it's what I love, but they wanna see that.

It's got a high reputation and they were saying how they'd like to keep that standard, which is fair enough. I know a few people who have been turned down and it's scary, cos it was my first choice.

I would defo bring the life drawings btw, it's a good idea, and he liked my sketches, etc. I have a variation from life drawings, of a male and female, to sketches of skeletal features, like the spine, fingers, but they're more contour drawings, and are almost seen as scribbles but I guess he liked them because he complimented them and wants me to keep this standard of working throughout the degree - that's what he said lol. I've used charcoal, chalk, normal standard drawing ink, "brushos" (if you've ever heard of them, create a well nice effect), indian ink, graphite and ordinary stronger shades of a pencil. They are more or less line drawings, with a bit of detail, but it's varied.

I personally wouldn't focus too much on the life drawings, unless you love them a lot to speak about them throughout the portfolio part. I would focus more on your final pieces, because they wanna see an end result, well he did. He wanted to see how I combined all these different techniques into one.

Jeez I'm going on lol, can't help it.. I know what you guys are feeling. Which one's your first choice? I looked at DMU, but because I will only have 2 A levels, I couldn't ever gain 260 points from 2 A levels ha, so I ditched that, and would much prefer to be south and by the sea. Loads of my mates either go London, or are going to LCC or LCF, but London aint for me - too much to live, way too many people... Only good for a decent night out, but Bournemouth has that anyway! X
Yeah you see I don't have any of the research or development work as its all main pieces ive done in my own time.thats what im really worried about but im hoping the wont expect that sort of thing from a mature student cos ive not exactly had time to sit at home for hours making up projects and my main pieces are strong anyway but i dont know if they will be more interested in my thought processes than the quality of the final results ? :s im only applying to bournemouth as i didnt like the sound of the london course so much and i loved the sound of the bournemouth one so much i knew thats where iw ant to go. i want to stay closeish to home aswell as i livein surrey and am not going to uni for the university experience, just purely to learn so its completly all about the course for me. also, i don't have any work based on any make up artists as the ones i like do special effects so in 3d using techniques that i obviously want to go on the course to learn about but i can talk about them easily and i guess ill get some photographs of some make-up work that i can maybe relate to an artist or something. they did sayon the open day though that if youdont have the experience then to be honest and say that that is why you are here to learn :s xx
also, i havent even reiceived my ucas pack through the post yet but i sent my application off very last minute so im waiting to see if ill get an interview first .
(edited 12 years ago)
finally got my interview invite, for the 31st of january eeeeek not much time to prepare my portfolio!!!! sooo nervous! is anyone else applying to do fine art?? xx
Reply 35

I have loads of stuff like I said from life drawings, to general typographic designs, photography, etc. It's not what the actual drawing or subject is, it's more about the technique and the design that you did. If you don't wanna put certain things in, then you don't have to I guess. Just bring what you're confident to talk about. I bought all projects because I can discuss them as I did the work and tend to get on with it. I sit up til like 3am sometimes doing graphics because it's what I love, but they wanna see that.

It's got a high reputation and they were saying how they'd like to keep that standard, which is fair enough. I know a few people who have been turned down and it's scary, cos it was my first choice.

I would defo bring the life drawings btw, it's a good idea, and he liked my sketches, etc. I have a variation from life drawings, of a male and female, to sketches of skeletal features, like the spine, fingers, but they're more contour drawings, and are almost seen as scribbles but I guess he liked them because he complimented them and wants me to keep this standard of working throughout the degree - that's what he said lol. I've used charcoal, chalk, normal standard drawing ink, "brushos" (if you've ever heard of them, create a well nice effect), indian ink, graphite and ordinary stronger shades of a pencil. They are more or less line drawings, with a bit of detail, but it's varied.

I personally wouldn't focus too much on the life drawings, unless you love them a lot to speak about them throughout the portfolio part. I would focus more on your final pieces, because they wanna see an end result, well he did. He wanted to see how I combined all these different techniques into one.

Jeez I'm going on lol, can't help it.. I know what you guys are feeling. Which one's your first choice? I looked at DMU, but because I will only have 2 A levels, I couldn't ever gain 260 points from 2 A levels ha, so I ditched that, and would much prefer to be south and by the sea. Loads of my mates either go London, or are going to LCC or LCF, but London aint for me - too much to live, way too many people... Only good for a decent night out, but Bournemouth has that anyway! X

thank you so much for this! helped a lot!:biggrin:

umm i really cant decide i like all the unis ive applied to but i think middlesex and herts are my favorites:smile: so far i only have one offer, so ill have to see how my interviews go haha, i have four in two weeks, SOOO nervous! x
Reply 36
Original post by JemmaColeman
Hey guys.. Ive just got an interview for make-up for media and performance for the 15th of feb, has anyone else applied for it and got an interview for around that time? Also has anyone visited the uni at all? I applied with really knowing what its like

Hey, I have an interview on the same day for makeup. What time is yours for? x
Original post by JemmaColeman

hey! the uni looked amazing in my opinion but i guess everyone has different views as i know poeple who loved the look of the lcc or lcf but for me they just werent quite what i wanted and i couldnt give a real reason apart from i prefered the sounf of the bournemouth course. they will probably ask you why you want to go there instead of london though i am assuming so if i was you i would come up with a reason :smile: although the london courses are highly sort after aswell arent they?
xxxx
Original post by mollymoo
Hey, I have an interview on the same day for makeup. What time is yours for? x

Mines for half 2 i think.what times yours?. Have you got all your portfolio sorted ? Im having a breakdown trying to get all my work done..
Reply 39
Hi guys,

I got an interview on 16 of February for Film Production. Im sooo nervous! It's my first choice, and I really wanna get in there. And I dunno what kinda questions they gonna ask me. Do u guys have any idea?

Quick Reply

Latest