The Student Room Group

AQA Core 3 Exam - 20/01/2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcus2001
Use the substitution x=cosec (theta) to solve the integral 1/(x^2 + sqrroot(1 - x^2) dX between the limits of 2 and root 2 - pretty sure it was 0.159

I believe I got that :biggrin:

or something very very similar on my paper

just redone it on my calculator and got 0.16
Original post by uxa595
6b i got 1/ cosec^3 . Cot^2 And didnt know wtf to do from there on

7ai i got like 192something + 64

got something like this aswell
Whoever wrote that paper was fatherless.

6b I ended up with 0.159?

For the volume of revolution on q7 I forget exactly what I got but it was something like 1152pi - (2880pi x e^-1?)
Contrary to what I hear a lot of people saying here, I believe that was one my best C3 papers ever :biggrin:

It was only when I walked out I realised I had drawn the graph different to the equation which I solved... Can anyone remember if it was y = |4ln(x-e)| or y = |4ln(x+e)|?
Original post by BenMitchell
Whoever wrote that paper was fatherless.

6b I ended up with 0.159?

For the volume of revolution on q7 I forget exactly what I got but it was something like 1152pi - (2880pi x e^-1?)

:lol:

I remember e^-1 being in my answer at some point...
Original post by eater_of_pies
Contrary to what I hear a lot of people saying here, I believe that was one my best C3 papers ever :biggrin:

It was only when I walked out I realised I had drawn the graph different to the equation which I solved... Can anyone remember if it was y = |4ln(x-e)| or y = |4ln(x+e)|?

x-e

Wish I had a graphics calc for that question.

I never revised the ln/ e graphs as I never saw them on a past paper :mad:
Original post by eater_of_pies

it was x-e

oh wow, looking here has made me feel good with getting similar answers or the same for the last questions!

because the rest of the paper was really nice
Reply 107
What did you get for 6b? I got cos2 - cos2^1/2 = -0.572
Original post by thedifferenatiator
it was x-e

oh wow, looking here has made me feel good with getting similar answers or the same for the last questions!

because the rest of the paper was really nice

Original post by BenMitchell
x-e

Wish I had a graphics calc for that question.

I never revised the ln/ e graphs as I never saw them on a past paper :mad:

Damn :| - that's 6 marks down the drain :frown: - I think I drew the graph of x-e but solved x+e... BRILLIANT
Reply 109
I cant believe how hard that exam was, I did all the past papers and none of them were like that.
question 6b was

----------------------
(x^2(X^2-1)^1/2)

between the limits of 2 and root 2, but they changed to sin-1(1/2) and sin-1(1/root 2) as x=cscx

i got -0.159

anyone know the last one i got like 64e^-1 -128
Reply 111
Well there goes any chance of an A* out of the window. It's completely unfair to have such horrific questions come up when there is nothing similar in the textbook or even past exam papers.
Reply 112
Original post by Magickal
Well there goes any chance of an A* out of the window. It's completely unfair to have such horrific questions come up when there is nothing similar in the textbook or even past exam papers.

i completely agree. i did a 2007 paper the other day and got 100%. now i think i'll be lucky to get a B! how is that fair? that if i was a few years older i would've got a A* in core 3 and now i'll be getting a lower grade with the same exam board and the same format (it's still the same a level with the same syllabus)
Original post by steve gillman
question 6b was

----------------------
(x^2(X^2-1)^1/2)

between the limits of 2 and root 2, but they changed to sin-1(1/2) and sin-1(1/root 2) as x=cscx

i got -0.159

anyone know the last one i got like 64e^-1 -128

Just saying but you cant have a negative area... however it was 0.159
I've never seen pure evil, but if I was to, I'm pretty sure it would take the form of that C3 exam... :/
Reply 115
ARGHHHH I am so annoyed with myself. I was struggling on 6b for ages then I finally worked out how to do it. I got the right answer and substituted 2 and root(2) in. About 2 mins before the end I realised "S***" I haven't changed the limits. I managed to get Cos(Sin^-1(0.5)) as the first half then then as I was rushing I took Sin^-1(1/root(2)) instead of Cos(Sin^-1(1/root(2))). ARGHGUHFSUG, so frustrated with myself. Hopefully as I wrote down a few things I will only lose 1 or 2 marks.
great for the 7 integration by parts twice question my answer was something like 2.. (two hundered something) e^-1 +32

bet noone got the same answer.
didnt even have time to do the 9 mark question. fml

question 1-4 was easy
question 5 - meh okayish
question 6 and 7 - wtf?

well i guess third time lucky in june :/
Reply 117
I forgot to change the limits... How many marks will that cost?
Original post by thedifferenatiator
Just saying but you cant have a negative area... however it was 0.159

yer my answer was -0.159 but the actual area was postive :smile:
Reply 119
For the last one I got (-320/e) +128 then for the very very last one just multiply that by 9(pi) anyone else got that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending