Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Things you wish you had know to bring to Uni

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I can't stand Scottish water :no: Even when boiled and put in tea/coffee, it tastes god-awful. Yorkshire water is where it's at :smug:
    my water at home comes from the northumbria water bored and its lovely but my family live near hull and they have awful water,like its not even clear unless they filter it and it tastes horrid
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    my water at home comes from the northumbria water bored and its lovely but my family live near hull and they have awful water,like its not even clear unless they filter it and it tastes horrid
    I used to live near Hull and my water was lovely, so maybe your family are just unlucky?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for a door wedge rather than a door stop. I bought a lovely door stop but it doesn't work cos of it being a fire door
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant thread idea. My friend showed up at uni with no coathangers and never got around to buying some, so all her clothes are permanently piled in the bottom of her wardrobe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A garlic crusher.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blue tack, a bin, extension leads, cookbooks, an academic year diary, pyrex, a tin opener that cost more than 90p and (according to my dad), a fish scaler.

^ Some of those I managed, but a lot of people didn't. I still haven't managed a clothes airer, but other people have :sigh: so all my stuff dries on the bannister on the landing :awesome:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    A duvet (having said that, I did know there wasn't one in my room, we just forgot to pack mine).
    Fancy dress stuff - you need a range of things to fit in with different themes!
    More cups and plates for when there's groups of people coming over
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    This is what our water in Dundee is like, I thought there was something wrong with it at first as I'm used to the water in southern Scotland (which is perfectly clear) but nope, that's just the way it is
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is already an exhaustive list of ANYTHING you could possibly need for uni on this site:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._To_University

Used that before coming... to be honest, didn't find I needed ALL of it, but I did find I didn't need much when I got here!
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Reminds me of when I was in halls in Leeds, one of my flatmates needed the toilet urgently and there was no bog roll, the supermarket was only 2 minutes down the road, but rather than go there and get some, he went to the bus stop, got a bus to university, went to the toilets there and then got the bus home. He probably spent the same on bus fares as the toilet roll would have cost him!
    He should've did his business, then walk off to Tesco with the following...

Buy the bog roll, then wipe his ass.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tub of vaseline and keelnex, my skin tissues really dehydrate during winter so it was a nightmare for a few days untill I bought it. I also hate watering flowers regularly so I prefer making them out of tissue paper, I knew something wasn't right untill I got that sorted.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Nose-clips, so when you get fed up of your kitchen being a tip, you can clean up without the smell making you feel ill.

I didn't and have used a makeshift replacement (Scarf tied round face covering mouth and nose) ever since.
    srs?

What uni and halls?

That just sounds atrocious.

I feel for you bro.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kitchen utensils. You remember forks and spoons etc easily enough, but there's always something that you forget that's actually really important. For example- tin opener, pizza cutter, ladle etc!

Can't believe the amount of people saying toilet roll! Our halls provide all that stuff... toilet roll, binbags, bed clothes (although I don't use them- I couldn't sleep with sheets etc that have been used by countless other people, even if they are washed every 2 weeks for you!)
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    srs?

What uni and halls?

That just sounds atrocious.

I feel for you bro.
    Bradford, The Green.

Nowt wrong with the actual accommodation - it's the people I'm living with, stacking dirty pots up in the sink, letting the bins over-flow, leaving bits of food lying around on the floor & one of them has started to hide dirty pots under the sofas.

It's all clean now, but I don't expect that to still be the case come this time next week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if i could take absolutely anything it would be my puppy. however i cant for health and safety and cleanliness issues.
    gunna miss him though.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Bradford, The Green.

Nowt wrong with the actual accommodation - it's the people I'm living with, stacking dirty pots up in the sink, letting the bins over-flow, leaving bits of food lying around on the floor & one of them has started to hide dirty pots under the sofas.

It's all clean now, but I don't expect that to still be the case come this time next week.
    Have you tried talking to them?

Or any other action?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Have you tried talking to them?

Or any other action?
    I've had a couple of occasions where I've told them to clean up - it resulted in them building a fort out of our furniture instead.

I talked to them yesterday, told them I'd had enough of them turning the place into a s**t-hole, they cleaned up last night but we'll see how it goes from here, whether they're gonna start keeping the place clean or not.

If they aren't then I've had words with them about it 3 times, once more and I'll be talking to the accommodation staff.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    the water in most places is disgusting I think yorkshire to the most southern parts of scotland are the only places where its acceptable
    I guess it's just what you get used to though.. I'm from Kent and I don't mind the water here...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    I guess it's just what you get used to though.. I'm from Kent and I don't mind the water here...
    yes obviously I mean thats how it seems to me other people will be used to different water
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    yes obviously I mean thats how it seems to me other people will be used to different water
    Yeah.. it would be interesting to see how much it actually differs if you had cups of tap water from all over the UK to compare. I've never been up North before..

Also, I've drunk tap water in countries you're not meant to and it didn't seem to affect me lol probably because I very rarely drink water anyway so it's not like my body is used to any particular tap water in the first place...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.