Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Can Muslim guys be in a relationship with a non-Muslims?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is a Muslim, he doesn't drink, only eats halal meat and is a virgin. He's a really cool, popular guy and still comes clubbing regularly despite not drinking. He asked me out on a date with him recently but I'm not sure what to say. I mean I know he can't have sex till he's married but can he kiss etc? Can Muslims even be with a non-Muslim, I mean I can't imagine he would be able to marry me..not that i want to but i couldnt enter a relationship knowing it wont be long term. I know there are different types of muslim but I can't remember which he is, just that there's a lot he can't do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    He asked you out for a reason, learn to take a hint.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    He obviously is able to do all of those but he shouldn't (as a Muslim). As you said already, he doesn't drink or eat prohibited foods but he should also not go clubbing, ask you out on a date or kiss..

As for the marriage issue, the female would probably become a Muslim for it to be viable. Some people believe that marrying a Christian or Jewish female is acceptable but it is highly debatable..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    He obviously is able to do all of those but he shouldn't (as a Muslim). As you said already, he doesn't drink or eat prohibited foods but he should also not go clubbing, ask you out on a date or kiss..

As for the marriage issue, the female would probably become a Muslim for it to be viable. Some people believe that marrying a Christian or Jewish female is acceptable but it is highly debatable..
    It is strange as he wont even hold a drink that contains alcohol, so there's certain boundaries he's really strict about and others (like clubbing) where he's not. I'm very naive about religion generally, but sex for example is clearly a boundary he's strict on yet would kissing? I have no idea. Even though I find him really attractive/ he's a great guy I think it's too awkward. I mean not having sex is one thing but nothing physical/never meeting his family is another. It's sad really.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    If he asked you out, it means he isn't religious. So, Islamic rules are pointless to factor considering he won't abide by them. Has he had sex already? If so, I'd go ahead and date him. Your only worry should be that if he studies his religion more than he could dump you or try to convince you to change religions. Are you a Christian/Jew? If so, then you have a better shot at a long-term relationship. However, if not then nah you don't. So if you aren't then tell him that you read in Islam you're only allowed to date (using the word marriage seems weird) Christians/Muslims/Jews and see his views on the subject. Tell him that you can't consider any non-long term relationships.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snapper1)
    It is strange as he wont even hold a drink that contains alcohol, so there's certain boundaries he's really strict about and others (like clubbing) where he's not. I'm very naive about religion generally, but sex for example is clearly a boundary he's strict on yet would kissing? I have no idea. Even though I find him really attractive/ he's a great guy I think it's too awkward. I mean not having sex is one thing but nothing physical/never meeting his family is another. It's sad really.
    Have a frank conversation about it, remind him about the above. As for his family, I see no reason why you shouldn't meet them.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)

So how do muslims marry some one they "love" then?
    If they can't date?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool_x)
    If they can't date?
    I was actually asked this a few weeks back, hope it helps

Read this
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool_x)
    If they can't date?
    Have meetings with her and a mahram (a male relative of the female) present.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    If he asked you out, it means he isn't religious. So, Islamic rules are pointless to factor considering he won't abide by them. Has he had sex already? If so, I'd go ahead and date him. Your only worry should be that if he studies his religion more than he could dump you or try to convince you to change religions. Are you a Christian/Jew? If so, then you have a better shot at a long-term relationship. However, if not then nah you don't. So if you aren't then tell him that you read in Islam you're only allowed to date (using the word marriage seems weird) Christians/Muslims/Jews and see his views on the subject. Tell him that you can't consider any non-long term relationships.
    He's definitely a virgin, not sure of he's done anything at all or not. I'm not part of any religion and certainly wouldn't want to convert to Islam. I'll be upfront and ask how me dating him would work exactly, and just see what his view his. Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It varies from person to person, I'm a Muslim, I'd claim to be Muslim, I believe in a single God. Though I drink, go clubbing, not strict about sex before marriage, I don't mind non-Halal meats, but I can't eat pork, but that's more to do with culture than religion, it would be like eating a cat to me lol. I have no idea, I'm obviously not the best example of a Muslim, but most of my Muslim friends date girls, they kiss and do a hell of a lot more as well. You being a non-Muslim shouldn't be a problem, but it depends on his family as well, for example my parents would be fine with me marrying a non-Muslim as long as she makes me happy. Just a question though, where is he from originally? Is he Arab? Which Arab country? I'm only asking because my Lebanese friends have a certain set of values and norms, Egyptian friends as well, Palestinians are different, as are Pakistanis etc. so if you can let me know I can give you a vague idea
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bayernmunich)
    It varies from person to person, I'm a Muslim, I'd claim to be Muslim, I believe in a single God. Though I drink, go clubbing, not strict about sex before marriage, I don't mind non-Halal meats, but I can't eat pork, but that's more to do with culture than religion, it would be like eating a cat to me lol. I have no idea, I'm obviously not the best example of a Muslim, but most of my Muslim friends date girls, they kiss and do a hell of a lot more as well. You being a non-Muslim shouldn't be a problem, but it depends on his family as well, for example my parents would be fine with me marrying a non-Muslim as long as she makes me happy. Just a question though, where is he from originally? Is he Arab? Which Arab country? I'm only asking because my Lebanese friends have a certain set of values and norms, Egyptian friends as well, Palestinians are different, as are Pakistanis etc. so if you can let me know I can give you a vague idea
    Hey thanks for the reply, he's from Pakistan originally x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the purpose of the relationship; when a Muslim guy with some obvious/explicit moral values tries to date its either a ''friend with benefits relationship'', or he will slowly permeate your beliefs/culture over a few years pursuing marriage or to just try and help you see the world from an Islamic perspective to the extent of your conversion......... (though in the process may lose his religiosity!). How old is this pakistani muslim guy?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Folie)
    It really depends on the purpose of the relationship; when a Muslim guy with some obvious/explicit moral values tries to date its either a ''friend with benefits relationship'', or he will slowly permeate your beliefs/culture over a few years pursuing marriage or to just try and help you see the world from an Islamic perspective to the extent of your conversion......... (though in the process may lose his religiosity!). How old is this pakistani muslim guy?
    To be honest I think you're right, I think he wants a girl to "have fun" with and as I'm a friend of his who happens to be single I think he may see me as a friend with benefits. He recently went to America for the arranged marriage of his cousin, so I can only assume he'll end up getting married in the same way.

He's 19. To be honest I do find him really attractive, I don't mean to be offensive here but I thought he was Greek when I first met him, so when I found out he was Muslim/from Pakinistan I was a little disappointed as I figured there would be a load of barriers. He knows I find him attractive (untrustworthy mutual friends!) so perhaps he's trying his luck with something casual but I'm ready for a serious relationship. I'm going to ask him when I see him what exactly he wants, so it'll be easy to be honest with him either way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the reply, he's from Pakistan originally x
    Ah, this is a tough one. I'm not Pakistani, but I grew up in Karachi. Amongst my male friends there about half drink, the other half don't. Though NONE of them are strict about sex before marriage, I do not have a single friend who would say no to a fit girl lol. Though I suppose it has a lot to do with the backgrounds they're from. Wealthy families, private British schooling, fairly liberal parents. I also think I should mention I have friends whose views have changed a lot, I have friends who went from not drinking at all to moderate drinking, friends who went from getting wasted every weekend to praying five times a day. I don't think getting into a relationship with a Muslim guy is a very good idea unless you know him and what he's like well enough. Also just reading from your post above, your description of him means he's a Pathan, they're almost all descendants of Alexander the Great and his army, they're about 75% Greek and classified as Mediterranean caucasian. Another fact you might want to consider is many Pathans are bisexual, though this is probably cultural and I don't think it would be a problem if he grew up in England lol.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is a Muslim, he doesn't drink, only eats halal meat and is a virgin. He's a really cool, popular guy and still comes clubbing regularly despite not drinking. He asked me out on a date with him recently but I'm not sure what to say. I mean I know he can't have sex till he's married but can he kiss etc? Can Muslims even be with a non-Muslim, I mean I can't imagine he would be able to marry me..not that i want to but i couldnt enter a relationship knowing it wont be long term. I know there are different types of muslim but I can't remember which he is, just that there's a lot he can't do.
    No, dating the opposite sex is not allowed whether they are Muslim or Non-Muslim.
    He's committing a sin.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely asking him this would be a better idea?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes yes yes another messed up muslim blah blah blah......tell me something new.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cbn.com/700club/features/...n_katrina.aspx

Read this before you do anything. This is one of thousands of similar stories. This will end badly and you will be hurt. Stay friends, but just that.

Trust me, I liked a muslim girl once (she wasn't religious but her family was moderately so) and fortunately it just stayed barely on the line of friendship with one stray kiss that we never spoke about again, or else me and her could have been murdered by her father and uncles.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Relationships of this nature before marriage for a Muslim should not occur full stop.

If he's suggesting one, that tells you enough about how much respect he has for his religion.

I do not see why therefore, his religious beliefs matter that much to you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2014
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.