The Student Room Group

Starting a sport. Rowing?

Just wondered how easy it is to get into rowing?
I've decided I need a new hobby as a distraction from college work and family life (and to get healthier)
There's a rowing club near my college so it's not a problem finding somewhere to do it

Also if anyone has any other ideas for sports I could do that would be appreciated.

Original post by ed-
Just wondered how easy it is to get into rowing?
I've decided I need a new hobby as a distraction from college work and family life (and to get healthier)
There's a rowing club near my college so it's not a problem finding somewhere to do it

Also if anyone has any other ideas for sports I could do that would be appreciated.

Not particularly hard - just go along and speak to your local club for details. That said, if your college / uni has a rowing club, I'd recommend joining that.

Bear in mind, however, that it can be a fairly big commitment when you consider both land and water training :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not particularly hard - just go along and speak to your local club for details. That said, if your college / uni has a rowing club, I'd recommend joining that.

Bear in mind, however, that it can be a fairly big commitment when you consider both land and water training :smile:

Yeah I think the fact there's a commitment would be a good thing for me as it would give me the motivation I need to stay fit and healthy

Do you start in single boats and work your way up of vice versa? And is the end goal to participate in races, usually?

Thanks for replying

Original post by ed-
Yeah I think the fact there's a commitment would be a good thing for me as it would give me the motivation I need to stay fit and healthy

Do you start in single boats and work your way up of vice versa? And is the end goal to participate in races, usually?

Thanks for replying

I've only ever been involved at a uni level, where we start in 8s and then move onto 4s. However, I believe that juniors start by sculling (single / pairs / fours, with two oars).

For most people, racing is the objective, but some see it as more of a recreational thing.
Reply 4
There are so many different sports, its difficult to know what to advise without a few more details about your existing skill and fitness levels and the kind of things you enjoy participating in.
Reply 5
rowing can be quite competitive to get into competitively but if you can get in and you don't mind waking up before it's light outside on Saturday morning its a lot of fun
Reply 6
Rowing's good since, despite the often terrible hours, everyone in the boat has to be there, on time, for things to work out smoothly. So there's some pressure to maintain your exercise routine and keep improving.

It's also a good activity in itself because it works your upper body, core and legs at the same time, as opposed to racquet sports (generally right arm and legs). I imagine your club has different levels of commitment - why not give it a try?
Hello, I'm a newbie who would like to take up rowing.So far, I have tried getting a membership at the Kingston Rowing club, but they have put me on a waiting list.

I live near Sunbury upon Thames, and would prefer something nearby. What would you guys recommend ?
Reply 8
Have you found uni rowing is expensive?
You need to practice a lot on ergos, kills sometimes :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest