The Student Room Group

I have the C1 exam in 2 days

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ree69
Well we're communicating on a student forum here - and I'm sure this is what the majority of students and users here think (they certainly did at my old school). Of course a teacher would never encourage this attitude nor approach from the beginning of your A-level career (I certainly wouldn't). But when you get to this situation, what can you do? Give up and prepare for the resit?

Sorry if I come across as a bit arrogant - I'm just really strongly opposed to the advice you've given earlier. I suppose from here we can only agree to disagree.

The demographics of this forum is not remotely representative of the national cohort.
In the main the users of this maths forum are well motivated and often fairly able. I appreciate it works for you as you are more than likely an able student.
I worked til just before 5 today with some pupils prepping for C1 who no matter how long they take will never hit over 70UMS and this is with 14 weeks of teaching. They were at their limit to hit a B grade at GCSE, at their limit in C1 and these pupils simply do not and will not be able to learn C1 in 1 week, 2 days or whatever no matter how superficial or drilled to a markscheme. This also has huge knock ons for A2

Again, I appreciate the majority of people on here are students. Unfortunately that doesnt make their information right per se. The masses simply cant decide something and take it as a given. The teachers here will have been in your position as a student, our position as a professional and many as parents. What you have said is fine for you but not for the majority and certainly no education professional will ever suggest your method is a good solution to the issue.
20'000 pupils failed AS maths last summer and those are the ones who made it to May/June (which for my average cohort is about 2/3 to 3/4).
Most pupils are not able to simply digest the information in short periods of time.

Its good to listen to students but you are taking this from doing an AS in maths for you and you only.
I am talking to you from doing A levels myself, a degree, teacher training and spending 1000s of hours in fron of kids, many years on training courses and the only support you are likely to get for your suggestions are from able pupils who have not taught or been down the spectrum of A level students.

Without students their are no teachers. Without teachers their are a large number students who will not meet their potentials.
Reply 21

Original post by xy5

I worked til just before 5 today with some pupils prepping for C1 who no matter how long they take will never hit over 70UMS and this is with 14 weeks of teaching.

No disrespect but why are they even allowed to pursue A-Level Maths? Yes some students do mess around during GCSE's due to not caring, being lazy, however, if they find C1 difficult and it takes them more than 14 weeks of teaching just to reach a B grade standard then it is simply not good enough. It may be for C1 however once they reach C2/C3/C4 I am pretty sure they will be screwed.

Then again you know their potential whereas I am just basing an opinion from your post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by papapapo
Basically I have the c1 exam on friday i have done about half hour revision overall and got 45% in a mock paper is it possible to go from 45% to a decent mark in 2 days?

Do all the JANUARY papers first, then all the June papers, that's how I've done my C1 revision

(I'm retaking)
Reply 23
Original post by isp
No disrespect but why are they even allowed to pursue A-Level Maths? Yes some students do mess around during GCSE's due to not caring, being lazy, however, if they find C1 difficult and it takes them more than 14 weeks of teaching just to reach a B grade standard then it is simply not good enough. It may be for C1 however once they reach C2/C3/C4 I am pretty sure they will be screwed.

Then again you know their potential whereas I am just basing an opinion from your post.

hey i messed around alot during first half of year and got a D on C1 but i managed to go 79% on C1 second time and 80% on C2 first time :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by isp

I don't take offence as I don't set the entry requirements. I personally believe it should be an A grade or B with a huge recommendation from a teacher (often for EAL pupils). I then believe a screening test should be carried out the establish base number/algebra skills prior to the pupils being allowed to start regardless of grade.
The position I find myself in though is having a class that is put together for me often by those who are perhaps not 100% up to speed with the rapid decline of the standing of a B grade in GCSE maths. The students are usually signed up for other AS/A levels and need to ensure they complete 4.
They turn up, I dont know them, I have to move them on and TBH some can be, others, well less so.
Most don't go on to A2 and some don't even get to xmas.
Its not something I disagree with you on, quite the opposite but I have to teach the pupils in front of me and for them, and some others, C1 takes longer than the suggested x days/weeks as suggested previously.
Some come good, many don't but its key to appreciate that the demographics of this board are not representative of the national picture.
*integral of y^2 dx that is
Reply 26
I have C1 AND Chemistry on Friday.
Reply 27
Original post by xy5
The demographics of this forum is not remotely representative of the national cohort.
In the main the users of this maths forum are well motivated and often fairly able. I appreciate it works for you as you are more than likely an able student.
I worked til just before 5 today with some pupils prepping for C1 who no matter how long they take will never hit over 70UMS and this is with 14 weeks of teaching. They were at their limit to hit a B grade at GCSE, at their limit in C1 and these pupils simply do not and will not be able to learn C1 in 1 week

I got a B at GCSE Maths and I seem to be getting around 85%-95% percent in past papers, just felt the need to point it out.
Reply 28
What the ****?
Reply 29
Do every single past paper there is from the aqa website. Here's the link for june 11: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1882374
Basically just make sure you know what to write. The same type of questions always come up in the exams so u shuld get most of the marks if u do all da past papers.

Good luck
Original post by isp

I am sorry but this comes across as really arrogant

Students achieve A-E grades at AS and A'Level and make use of these grades for university their experience and qualification is just as valid as those who achieve grade A across the board
Reply 31
franzk :-
i got B in maths, but i want to get an A or B in C1
Reply 32
Original post by franzk
I got a B at GCSE Maths and I seem to be getting around 85%-95% percent in past papers, just felt the need to point it out.

Yes, and some getting B's go on to do well. Well done to you.
My best student last year didn't even pass their GCSE as they didnt speak English. They learned both the A level maths and English in AS and went on to very good scores.
My best pupil this year in C1 scraped an A at GCSE, didnt really do much and now drops no more than 3-4 marks on any AS paper.....reason? boredom at GCSE and a new found love and maturity at AS.

It certainly can happen and that's why its important IMO to have a basic screening test to see if pupils have some form of basic Algebra skills. I do a sheet with them in the first lesson and 95% of them who dont do well go on not to do well.
Original post by imcomplicated
not going to be harsh but probably no, you cant expect to wait until two days before the exam and turn up and get a good grade, you may be able to do this for c1 and maybe c2 but anything beyond that and you will be struggling to pass

you suck dont be so negative prick
dont be so negative, you dont know what its like bitch

Quick Reply