The Student Room Group

I get ridiculously itchy when my skin gets cold! :(

It has only been this winter that I've noticed the problem :s-smilie: Every time my skin gets cold it gets ridiculously itchy and I feel like I'm riddled with fleas or something. Happens every time I go from a warm to a cold room or vice-versa, sometimes it happens randomly when I am at work if someone lets the draft in, and it'll happen in bed if it's a particularly cold night.

As you can imagine it is pretty annoying when I am trying to concentrate at work or trying to sleep and I am just itching all over! I don't know how to stop it or why it keeps happening :o:

I think it's to do with my hairs standing on end when I get cold and that somehow makes me itch but I may be wrong.

I read somewhere that it might be the skin drying out because of the cold but I don't think it's that as it doesn't itch constantly, only when cold air is on it, and putting moisturiser on does not seem to fix the problem :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

This happens to me... but only when I've been ouside for a while and its very cold and it gets worse when I've come in from the cold and I'm warming up... don't get it with a draft or anything... though my skin takes a long time to warm up once its got cold.

Wear more layers on your legs to keep them warm? Leggings or tights under jeans, tights under leggings or something.
Reply 2
Lol, I get the exact same but in reverse. If I get hot and then come inside to a cold place, I itch so bad it's unreal.
At least this thread has re-assured me there are fellow itchers out there.
I have this but it develops into lumps on my skin. It could well be a form of cold urticaria, solved by a visit to the GP. I take antihistamines for it.
could be an allergy to the cold..know many people who have this and take antihistamines xx
Reply 5
Original post by Skarm
Lol, I get the exact same but in reverse. If I get hot and then come inside to a cold place, I itch so bad it's unreal.

I get this. Like if I have to run outside for what ever reason, the moment I stop my body becomes hot and bothered and aware that it's very cold. I get mad itchy, like I'm being prodded with a needle all over my body.
Reply 6
Thanks for the reassurance. I thought I was really weird or something :o:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an allergy... I'm allergic to virtually everything! New allergies develop on me every year :shakecane:
I get the reverse of it too, even using a hair dryer makes me come out in rashes :frown:
I don't know if anyone else can relate to this also, but if people flick me on the forehead it gets ridiculously itchy! :tongue:
Reply 8
It could possibly be the movement of the fine hairs that cover your skin? When it's cold, the skin tightens and the hairs stand on end in order to trap a layer of insulating air over the skin. Perhaps the movement of these hairs when you move from hot to cold and vice versa causes a tingling, itchy sensation?

EDIT: Just realised you mentioned this in your OP so I think you could be right. :smile:
I think it's something to do with the way the arrector pili muscles (like you said the hairs, I think that's what it is)are contracting or relaxing in response to the sudden change in temp.
Should be normal though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Skarm
At least this thread has re-assured me there are fellow itchers out there.

Hello. You should google Aquagenic pruritus. this may shed some light for you. :smile:
Reply 11
Hello. Just wondering if you get itchy after having a bath or shower or coming into contact with water? if so google Aquagenic pruritus. i too get a prickly itch if there is change in weather mostly on my legs, it drives me crazy, iv been doing research and i think i may have that big name i mentioned above. Hope this helps
Reply 12
I agree, I suffer with the same symptoms. If my skin gets cold i.e.. come out of a lukewarm shower in to a cold changing room or if I wear a t-shirt on a cool day I itch like mad. It is Aquagenic Pruritus. I have seen Drs (they have not heard of it) and Dermatologists (nor have they) and I have tried everything. What I have learned:

Moisturisers dont really work, it is not a dry skin issue.
Phototherapy & sun help it but not work the skin damage.
It is not a reaction to chemicals or detergents etc. There is no rash, it is not an allergic response.
It always comes on in fall (October) and goes away in summer. Never affects me on tropical holidays.
Water doesn't cause it - COLD or WARM water will trigger it though. Cold is the enemy.
I take long hot baths or showers (less effective) to get my skin very warm then dry off quickly and get dressed right away. Never take a cool or warm shower.
Wear long sleeve cotton clothes around the house in winter.
Flannel cotton PJs in winter if it is bad.
As soon as you feel itchy cover up and it will pass. I don't tend to ever feel cold but I notice when the itch starts my skin is very cool to the touch. Seems like a circulation issue triggering overactive nervous response. The fact that it is only dorsal (tops of arms and legs, back) makes me think it may be related to sun damage but that is a guess.
If you are really itching like mad try a long hot bath. Solves it every time and seems to cure it for a day or so. In extreme cases I will use Skin So Soft in the water. The oil helps to trap heat in your skin and reduce evaporation.
It sucks but it is manageable. At least there is no rash.
Reply 13
I know this is several years old but i am glad i found it. i'm 43 and about 5 years ago i noticed when my skin gets cold it itches like mad! Like I could be commited to a psychiactric ward for as bad as it itches!. Its not just when I'M cold, I can be sweating and the sweat making my skin cold will make me itch. I don't welt up my skin is red, but not allergic reaction red. If anybody has found anything that helps with this ( besides staying warm, i live just below syracuse NY and cant move anytime soon) that would be great. I have always swam but cant get into a pool that makes my skin cold! i asked my doctor he said try lotion. FYI if the lotion is cold or there is a fan on when the lotion is applied it makes my skin cold and it itches!
Reply 14
Original post by gmaxuk
I agree, I suffer with the same symptoms. If my skin gets cold i.e.. come out of a lukewarm shower in to a cold changing room or if I wear a t-shirt on a cool day I itch like mad. It is Aquagenic Pruritus. I have seen Drs (they have not heard of it) and Dermatologists (nor have they) and I have tried everything. What I have learned:

Moisturisers dont really work, it is not a dry skin issue.
Phototherapy & sun help it but not work the skin damage.
It is not a reaction to chemicals or detergents etc. There is no rash, it is not an allergic response.
It always comes on in fall (October) and goes away in summer. Never affects me on tropical holidays.
Water doesn't cause it - COLD or WARM water will trigger it though. Cold is the enemy.
I take long hot baths or showers (less effective) to get my skin very warm then dry off quickly and get dressed right away. Never take a cool or warm shower.
Wear long sleeve cotton clothes around the house in winter.
Flannel cotton PJs in winter if it is bad.
As soon as you feel itchy cover up and it will pass. I don't tend to ever feel cold but I notice when the itch starts my skin is very cool to the touch. Seems like a circulation issue triggering overactive nervous response. The fact that it is only dorsal (tops of arms and legs, back) makes me think it may be related to sun damage but that is a guess.
If you are really itching like mad try a long hot bath. Solves it every time and seems to cure it for a day or so. In extreme cases I will use Skin So Soft in the water. The oil helps to trap heat in your skin and reduce evaporation.
It sucks but it is manageable. At least there is no rash.

I was hoping someone had a solution other than just don't get cold, like a vitamin deficiency or something. My doctor had no answers and it really could drive me mad!
Original post by hol1975
I was hoping someone had a solution other than just don't get cold, like a vitamin deficiency or something. My doctor had no answers and it really could drive me mad!

You'd be better of making you own thread. People often ignore posts with a lot of responses or end up responding to OP and confusing things when old threads get bumped.
I've heard something to do with tight muscles with this sort of thing, but I don't really get how it relates unfortunately. Something to do with blood reaching areas it doesn't usually and giving a hot itchy sensation as a result I think. Not sure how accurate that is or what you'd be able to do about it. :/
Nope...I’m afraid to say this is what can cause dermatitis/eczema! Every winter with the layers of clothing I wear to keep warm makes my skin crawl as it’s getting overheated...this causes me to itch, flaring up my eczema! It’s also bad in the summer when I get too hot...it’s a crappy thing all year round! Try using a cream like E45 or dermatol or doublebase, it’ll act like a barrier between your skin and your clothes!
Hope this helps?! Xxx
Antihistamine!! Before any walks in the cold, I have to take atleast 1 dose of hay fever type tablets. Sometimes I’ll start them the day or two before.... helps 90% if the time! Just gotta give them an hour to work before going out
If you can continue to post on here any improvements and what might help your condition I would be ecstatic... I got the exact same issue... I'm a big outdoor guy who enjoys skiing... I got hit with this about 2 months ago and I'm almost house ridden now.. EXTREMELY MISERABLE when this flares up... Tried 6 different cremes, but my skin isn't dry. These cremes accelerate the itching. I believe it has to do with the hairs as well because it's pretty much just my arms and legs... Anyone PLEASE HELP... Will try the skin so soft bath and will post results on next flare up..
Original post by Thedeliveryman14
If you can continue to post on here any improvements and what might help your condition I would be ecstatic... I got the exact same issue... I'm a big outdoor guy who enjoys skiing... I got hit with this about 2 months ago and I'm almost house ridden now.. EXTREMELY MISERABLE when this flares up... Tried 6 different cremes, but my skin isn't dry. These cremes accelerate the itching. I believe it has to do with the hairs as well because it's pretty much just my arms and legs... Anyone PLEASE HELP... Will try the skin so soft bath and will post results on next flare up..

Have you tried any form of antihistamine? You can get stronger ones on prescription and taking them every day should help. Apparently its your body producing histamines almost like an allergic reaction

Quick Reply