The Student Room Group

MPhil in Management Cambridge 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Akkuz
Pretty much means your in. The next stage will be "awaiting decision by board of graduate studies".

Nice, thanks.
Not sure if I'm gonna choose Cambridge over LSE but at least I'll have something to brag about with my flatmates :P
Reply 61
Original post by mt heart attack
Nice, thanks.
Not sure if I'm gonna choose Cambridge over LSE but at least I'll have something to brag about with my flatmates :P

Are you rejecting Judge Business School for LSE then? That's a pretty brave move.
Reply 62
Original post by Akkuz
Are you rejecting Judge Business School for LSE then? That's a pretty brave move.

I'd say management and strategy is probably a better course... if I was being totally honest. Just my opinion though.
Reply 63
Original post by Hanshen
I'd say management and strategy is probably a better course... if I was being totally honest. Just my opinion though.

I'd say there's probably very little between the two, although LSE's fees are astronomical :tongue: Either of them would be people in good stead for a high paying job.

Your still waiting I take it? What's your back-up choice? Warwick?
Reply 64
Original post by Akkuz
I'd say there's probably very little between the two, although LSE's fees are astronomical :tongue: Either of them would be people in good stead for a high paying job.

Your still waiting I take it? What's your back-up choice? Warwick?

Touche :tongue:

Yeah still waiting, I really hope I get in to be honest. Yeah, my back up is Warwick, which I wouldn't turn my nose up at anyway.
Cambridge's fees for the Mphil in Management are not much lower though..

Honestly, if I'll get an offer from Cambridge as it seems it will be the case, I have no idea which of the two I'm going to pick. I guess the quality of teaching and post-graduation opportunities are good for both courses, so.. yeah.
I suppose I would rather live in Cambridge than in London though, being an international student the whole "Cambridge experience" is obviously very fascinating for me. Living expenses will be lower as well I reckon.

What's your opinion on the matter guys? Why would picking LSE over Cambridge be such a brave move Akkuz?
Original post by mt heart attack
My status just changed from "under consideration" to "the degree committee is satisfied with your application", I take it that it's a good sign?

Anyway, I already got an offer from LSE for their MSc in Management and Strategy, now I'm seriously torn between the two programmes..

Lol, we are in the exactly the same situation....
Reply 67
Hi everybody,

What do you think about the job opportunities which the master may offer? It is very expensive, so do you think that it is worth its cost? I mean, will it be a valuable investment?
Reply 68
Original post by nichi
Hi everybody,

What do you think about the job opportunities which the master may offer? It is very expensive, so do you think that it is worth its cost? I mean, will it be a valuable investment?

That depends entirely on your situation. Say you already have a degree in business from another university, the M.Phil program at Cambridge is less valuable to you when compared to the value it adds to others. However, if you are currently pursuing, say, a degree in physics and you're considering starting a business in that area it's well worth it.

So it depends on your background really and what you're planning to do afterwards. :smile:
Reply 69
Any progress guys? I am still 'under consideration by department'. Do I still stand a chance? I am beginning to loose all hope.... :frown:

Good luck everyone!
Reply 70
Original post by brownie
Any progress guys? I am still 'under consideration by department'. Do I still stand a chance? I am beginning to loose all hope.... :frown:

Good luck everyone!

Yeah, same with me. I'm starting to lose hope tbh. JBS are slow though, so perhaps not all doom and gloom quite yet :smile:.

I'm sure you'll get your offer Brownie :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Hanshen
Yeah, same with me. I'm starting to lose hope tbh. JBS are slow though, so perhaps not all doom and gloom quite yet :smile:.

I'm sure you'll get your offer Brownie :smile:

Don't lose hope!! When I had lost all hope..things took a turn for the better. If you haven't heard anything, your still in the game :smile:

Furthermore, it's unfair on candidates which get offers really late, because all the top colleges get filled up. I remember reading somewhere that the likes of Trinity are filled by April/May. Given that BoGS is currently at around 6 weeks, I suspect some people may get a formal offer in May..maybe even June :eek:
Reply 72
Original post by Akkuz

Furthermore, it's unfair on candidates which get offers really late, because all the top colleges get filled up. I remember reading somewhere that the likes of Trinity are filled by April/May. Given that BoGS is currently at around 6 weeks, I suspect some people may get a formal offer in May..maybe even June :eek:

Well, unless everyone gets offers in say the same week, you're not going to get around this. It all still has to go through BoGS...so if everyone got offers earlier, the popular colleges would just fill up earlier? :dontknow:
Reply 73
Original post by sj27
Well, unless everyone gets offers in say the same week, you're not going to get around this. It all still has to go through BoGS...so if everyone got offers earlier, the popular colleges would just fill up earlier? :dontknow:

True. That would be one hell of a back-log haha. I don't think many people get rejected by both college choices, do they?
Reply 74
Original post by Akkuz
True. That would be one hell of a back-log haha. I don't think many people get rejected by both college choices, do they?

I think late on it's fairly common. From what a friend told me anyway. I'm just hoping to get an offer, right now college doesn't matter too much. Although I'd love to get an offer from Queens... unlikely though.
Reply 75
Thanks guys for your supportive comments! We will just have to wait and see, I thought about calling JBS on Monday (tomorrow) but perhaps I shouldn't.

I think it's possible to get rejected by both colleges choices, but getting into Cambridge will make up for that, all the colleges are great in my opinion :biggrin:
Original post by brownie
Thanks guys for your supportive comments! We will just have to wait and see, I thought about calling JBS on Monday (tomorrow) but perhaps I shouldn't.

I think it's possible to get rejected by both colleges choices, but getting into Cambridge will make up for that, all the colleges are great in my opinion :biggrin:

I really think you shouldn't. They can't be happy with all the type-As pulling their hair out and calling constantly.

Everyone should stop stressing. No news is good news, and it even says on the Cambridge website they don't typically start handing out offers until the end of March/early April. No need to lose hope yet.
Reply 77
Original post by Chaaalieboy
I really think you shouldn't. They can't be happy with all the type-As pulling their hair out and calling constantly.

Everyone should stop stressing. No news is good news, and it even says on the Cambridge website they don't typically start handing out offers until the end of March/early April. No need to lose hope yet.

Remember their job is to deal with applicants. The fact they don't even man phonelines is poor practice, frankly. I agree they will be getting plenty of emails, however, one may question the extent to which that is induced by their shoddy system of admissions.

They even failed to reply when I was inquiring whether or not further information was required to process my application. That isn't someone trying to speed up the application process. That is a legitimate enquiry which they are employed to deal with.
I actually think the nearer the notification deadline, the slimmer the chance of getting an offer. Not least because they'd be sending out offers to candidates they favor more, but also according to my frd, who was just rejected by Oxford, she was rejected very near the notification deadline.

Sighs.
On a side note, was wondering what you guys see when you click 'Documents you need to send us'.

I submitted all my documents but still see this --

The documents you need to send us - Click on the arrow(s) to see more details

App: Language Test. Due Date: 31 October 2011

Personal Reference. Due Date: 31 October 2011

Apparently there was some mix-up on my application. Did this happen to you guys? Might explain the long wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending