The Student Room Group

PLEASE help me to decide!

Hi there!

I am a Greek student who will complete his secondary education in June of 2012.
I like to study Psychology but I am not sure about the five unis I have to apply.

Since Scotland is cheaper for me, I think I may give priority to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

I consider the following ones:

Glasgow University
Strathclyde
Caledonian
City
Royal Holloway
Heriot-Watt
East-London (for insurance)
Napier (for insurance)
Queen Margaret

but I have to choose just five! :mad:

I prefer a good university but not too dificult :smile: to enter and to complete my studies. I am not very good in maths...

I prefer to be in a big town and not in a campus that is far away from city center.
Glasgow may best suits me.

Furthermore, I am not sure about the entry requirements: Does high level of requirements mean more difficult exams during studies? Or not?
Easy entry requirements mean easy studies or not?

Please help!

My initial list consists of:

Glasgow Unoiversity
Strathclyde
Caledonian
City
Royal Holloway

but this may be too risky in terms of entry requirements. Should I choose East London Uni instead of may be City? Just to be safe...
Should I totally change my list for some reason?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Besides Heriot-Watt,Glasgow, and Royal Holloway, all poor uni's and doing a over subscribed course. Save yourself the time and money and do something else.
Reply 2
Unfortunately, I am in theoretical school direction and my main options are Law, Psychology, English Language studies.
I am a very good student but I do not like Law. Also, I am not good in maths. I do not know what else I can choose...

The psychology degree that I will use in my country does not matter from what Univiersity it comes. It will give permission to work anyway. Of course I do not want to study rubbish and I prefer to have good studies but not extremely difficult.

I could choose Heriot-Watt but I do not like to travel one hour a day to go there after the first year that they offer accomondation in campus...
Reply 3
Glasgow, Edinburgh and Royal Holloway are all far far far better unis than any of the others you mentioned (with the except of maybe City uni and Queen Mary's). Please do yourself some justice and apply to some better unis! If you're looking at those 3 I've mentioned, you want to be setting your sights a lot higher than the other unis you've mentioned which are all really crap for psychology.

Try Sussex, Surrey, Nottingham, Manchester, UEA, Kent, Leeds, Newcastle if you're looking for great unis and pretty decent psychology departments on par with Glasgow/Edinburgh/RH.
Reply 4
Hello there! We're in the same boat :smile: Mainly, I'm trying to decide which uni will be my insurance choice. I'm interested in universities in Scotland only.
What do you guys think? Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde, none of them...?
Also, does anyone know if Glasgow is known for being really strict about entry requirements? I wish the best of luck to everyone :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by fagittarius
Hello there! We're in the same boat :smile: Mainly, I'm trying to decide which uni will be my insurance choice. I'm interested in universities in Scotland only.
What do you guys think? Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde, none of them...?
Also, does anyone know if Glasgow is known for being really strict about entry requirements? I wish the best of luck to everyone :smile:

+1
which one should be tne insurance choice???
Caledonian is that bad?

Original post by skotch
Glasgow, Edinburgh and Royal Holloway are all far far far better unis than any of the others you mentioned (with the except of maybe City uni and Queen Mary's). Please do yourself some justice and apply to some better unis! If you're looking at those 3 I've mentioned, you want to be setting your sights a lot higher than the other unis you've mentioned which are all really crap for psychology.

Try Sussex, Surrey, Nottingham, Manchester, UEA, Kent, Leeds, Newcastle if you're looking for great unis and pretty decent psychology departments on par with Glasgow/Edinburgh/RH.

I see...
But these great unis have too high entry requirements. Furthermore, only Scotland is cheap enough for EU students.
Finaly Heriot-Watt psychology is good (as Jimbo1234 says) or not? Edinburgh Uni psychology is better than H-W or not?

Could somebody answer about entry requirements? Do high entry requrements mean also difficult studies or not?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by fonzi
I see...
But these great unis have too high entry requirements. Furthermore, only Scotland is cheap enough for EU students.
Finaly Heriot-Watt psychology is good (as Jimbo1234 says) or not? Edinburgh Uni psychology is better than H-W or not?

Could somebody answer about entry requirements? Do high entry requrements mean also difficult studies or not?

Yeh Edinburgh is one of the best unis for psychology, Heriot-Watt is no where near the same standard.

Just email the universities if you specific entry requirement questions.
Original post by fonzi

I prefer a good university but not too dificult :smile: to enter and to complete my studies. I am not very good in maths...

I prefer to be in a big town and not in a campus that is far away from city center.

Furthermore, I am not sure about the entry requirements: Does high level of requirements mean more difficult exams during studies? Or not?
Easy entry requirements mean easy studies or not?

Firstly, easy requirements does not mean easy study. As long as the courses are BPS accredited (so BSc courses, you will have to study a BPS degree if you want to work in psychology) then all the courses will be exactly the same difficulty. And saying that, it can be quite mathematical at times, so I suggest you do a bit of reading up and practice while you're waiting :smile:

As for the unis themselves, the only thing you can do, is look at some pictures and videos (or if you can, visit) and see which you like best. And also look at which optional modules you like, as different unis will offer different ones, and each uni has different research interests. But if you want a uni in a big town, not far from the city centre, you can rule out UEA. Not dissing it, it's my local uni, but it is quite far away from the centre.
Reply 8
Last day to decide... Scotland has many advantages for me. Cheaper, direct cheap flights to Edinburgh with easyjet.

Glasgow uni will be my first choice.
(I am not sure if I should also include Strathclyde or not. We have only five choices! )

Heriot-Watt will be one of my choises anyway. I like the campus.

Many good universities (Kent, Leeds, Bath, Surrey, Sussex) ask for a foundation year. This is not the case for me now.

Coventry seems to be OK. Easy entrance and easy exams. Suits best on me I think.

Herdfordshire is also interesting since I like dancing and they have associated this with psychology some way. I like theater and Psychology but I do not know if there is a uni which offer something like this as a course of psychology degree.

I am not sure about my insurance choise too. Should it be Glasgow Caledonian, Edinburgh Napier, Coventry, Herdfordhire, Bedfordshire or what?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fonzi
Last day to decide... Scotland has many advantages for me. Cheaper, direct cheap flights to Edinburgh with easyjet.

Glasgow uni will be my first choice.
(I am not sure if I should also include Strathclyde or not. We have only five choices! )

Heriot-Watt will be one of my choises anyway. I like the campus.

Many good universities (Kent, Leeds, Bath, Surrey, Sussex) ask for a foundation year. This is not the case for me now.

Coventry seems to be OK. Easy entrance and easy exams. Suits best on me I think.

Herdfordshire is also interesting since I like dancing and they have associated this with psychology some way. I like theater and Psychology but I do not know if there is a uni which offer something like this as a course of psychology degree.

I am not sure about my insurance choise too. Should it be Glasgow Caledonian, Edinburgh Napier, Coventry, Herdfordhire, Bedfordshire or what?

It's up to you, you really should check out the individual modules, and research interests because these vary greatly! I reccomend that you do a BPS accredited degree,in order to get the most out of the course, and to stand a chance of employment in the field. For this reason you are quite unlikely to find a theatre and psychology course, as they are two entirely different courses.

You are aware that scottish courses are 4 years yes?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
4 years is a bonus for me since in Greece we have only 4 years courses. I must have 4 years in my degree to be recognised in Greece. I my BSc is 3 yeras I have to get a 1 year MSc too...

So I must have a 4 years BSc or a 3 years BSc + 1year MSc

* I think all the above are BPS accreddited
Original post by fonzi
4 years is a bonus for me since in Greece we have only 4 years courses. I must have 4 years in my degree to be recognised in Greece. I my BSc is 3 yeras I have to get a 1 year MSc too...

So I must have a 4 years BSc or a 3 years BSc + 1year MSc

* I think all the above are BPS accreddited

Yes, but some of them are only accredited if you undertake certain modules. You need to think about what specifics you're interested in studying.
But you shouldn't go to a uni because it's easy to get into. It should be the opposite. And none of the exams are easy, it is a very difficult, scientific and mathematical course.
(edited 12 years ago)
And how likely are you to get the grades?

Quick Reply