The Student Room Group

Synaesthesia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have mild synaesthesia, but i don't see whole songs as colours, more individual notes have colours, which means certain keys have certain, kinda, colour schemes. It's pretty mild though, it used to be pretty good when I played music alot, it's not exactly the kind of thing you can practise, but when I used it alot I used to be able to recognise notes and keys just by 'seeing' what kind of colour they would give.

Like I say, it is very mild, I'd struggle with identification if lots of instruments were playing, or if the piece was rather polyphonic. I always found it easiest with just a piano, but I guess that's because I was very used to it. Funny how after a few years of not using it much, I don't find anywhere near as easy to 'see' notes in my mind.

I sound insane, but yeah I always kinda liked it. I themed the colour of my room on the opening part of Clair de Lune (i.e. D flat, with lots of pretty A flats and D flats. mmmm rose and burgundy :colondollar: )
Reply 41
I have synaesthesia! Music/sounds->shape/colour/texture. Letters and numbers->colour.
(edited 10 years ago)
hey everyone! im doing some work on the subject of synaesthesia the the type where you associate colours with other things (sounds, numbers, letters etc.) it would be really helpful if you could answer some q's rep up for grabs:
-do you feel this has advantaged you in anyway in everyday life?
-is it something that has always been present in you or did something trigger it?
- with the colours, is it a feeling that a colour is connected to an object or is that how you actually see it (e.g if a word was written in black would you see it as being a different colour?)

thanks very much to answer just quote me :smile:
Reply 43
I see dead people.
I taste some words when I hear them, is that a synaethesia thing? It's stronger with individual letters.
I always just thought I was crazy :redface:
Original post by ihaterealitytvshows
hey everyone! im doing some work on the subject of synaesthesia the the type where you associate colours with other things (sounds, numbers, letters etc.) it would be really helpful if you could answer some q's rep up for grabs:
-do you feel this has advantaged you in anyway in everyday life? It helps me remember things, I can remember the colour or the space they occupied
-is it something that has always been present in you or did something trigger it? Always been there, since as long as I can remember
- with the colours, is it a feeling that a colour is connected to an object or is that how you actually see it (e.g if a word was written in black would you see it as being a different colour?) I see it, but not on the page where it's written, I guess in my head I see the word/letter written out in colour

Hope this is helpful :smile:
Thanks very much it did *repped*
All this **** sounds awesome... Why am I stuck with this **** mind? :frown:
I sort of have it I think letters/numbers/days/months etc. > colours. I say sort of because I don't visually see the colours, I just feel it, like in my mind it's just right. And if I see the word/whatever in the right colour it makes me happy :tongue:

eg Tuesday is sky blue-ish and is the same colour as April
(edited 12 years ago)
I can taste texture and shape... Raspberries are hard, mint is kinda bobbly and some things have a definite shape to them. I can't think of any right now because it's kinda instant when I eat it and fades with time but I can eat something squishy and to me it'll feel like it's a box. If that makes sense?
Reply 50
OP, what colour is "Yellow"?
Reply 51
-is it something that has always been present in you or did something trigger it?
- with the colours, is it a feeling that a colour is connected to an object or is that how you actually see it (e.g if a word was written in black would you see it as being a different colour?)

I'm not sure, it may have helped me in my music GCSE, and it helped my in my grade 7 aural tests, because the colours help me identify keys and i began to associate certain mixes of colours with certain time periods. But to be honest, I don't think it helped much, I think it probably just makes me appreciate certain types of music a little more.

I think it's always been there, but it's something that got a lot stronger when I used it a lot. Usually now I don't really notice it that much now, it's just kind of there in the background, but when I was doing lots of music exams I noticed it a lot and certain patterns in it, because I used it to help with interpretation of styles and such.

-with the colours, is it a feeling that a colour is connected to an object or is that how you actually see it (e.g if a word was written in black would you see it as being a different colour?)
I find it really hard to explain. It's more of a feeling than something as straight forward as seeing the note turn green etc., but saying that, it's much more of a visual thing than just a feeling. Certain notes/keys have a kind of coloured feel to them. It's like hearing an F and feeling yellow, as if you've just been imagining something that shade for a very long time. I think it's just a weird interpretation of sound, I don't have it with words, but it's similar to if you were reading something on a page - your eyes tell you it's black, but it's definitely a green word. I guess it's just a subconscious thing my mind does, that means certain notes automatically trigger a 'feeling' that makes me 'see' (imagine really) a certain colour.

I still consider my synaesthesia pretty mild, but I hope that helps a bit x
I'm not synaesthetic, although I do have a sense of time being located in a physical location around me, which can be a form of synaesthesia. National Geographic did a really interesting article on synaesthesia (i'm having to spellcheck that word every time!) a little while ago that's worth reading if you're interested, it might be available on their website :smile:
Original post by StBebe
Hello people,

I have synaesthesia. That is, I see sounds. The Coldplay song Hurts Like Heaven is bright yellow for example, well not all of it but large parts of it. Usually only parts of songs are of the same colour, three or four bars or a short section, not the whole song. Sometimes it's just one instrument that's brightly coloured, the rest might be grey or light blue. It's something to do with mymigrane headaches cause it's the strongest just before and during a migrane. It's not a type of insanity if you're thinking that, it's actually pretty cool. Anyone else have it?

Synaesthesia has always interested me, in a way I wish I could experience it so I understood what it was like. When you see the colours (or when anyone else who has synaesthesia sees something), do you view them with your eyes directly infront of you? Or is it in your minds eye so to speak. I mean, I can visualise stuff in my mind and picture what it looks like, but I don't actually see it in front of me.
Original post by Pen Island
I taste some words when I hear them, is that a synaethesia thing? It's stronger with individual letters.
I always just thought I was crazy :redface:

Yes it is a form of synaethesia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexical-gustatory_synesthesia

Do you feel this has advantaged you in anyway in everyday life?
For me it really helped with revision. Say to a whole load of work on respiration, I feel that's blue so I'd write down my notes in that blue. It also helped me learn diagrams like the Krebs cycle in biology because I'd remember where the colours were and then I could link the words in.

Is it something that has always been present in you or did something trigger it?
As far as I can remember I've always felt words and stuff have colours. When I was 10 however I hit my head really hard in a taxi because of some idiot on a bike and since then I've always had really bad headaches and stuff so who knows, it could be related to that. (Sorry that's probably not really helpful :P)

With the colours, is it a feeling that a colour is connected to an object or is that how you actually see it?
For me it is a feeling. The colour just feels right for a word, or it doesn't. However it does make me happy to see a word written in the right colour and vice versa it also really annoyes me when the colour just does not suit the word at all. But that could just be me :tongue:

Hope something in there helps :smile:
Reply 56
Hey all. I have synaesthesia. Associated letter-colour, number-colour, weekday-colour, month-colour, music-colour/pattern, and more basic sound-colour/pattern.

Yeah. Sounds pretty colourful, I know. (No pun intended).

Do you feel this has advantaged you in anyway in everyday life?

Well, I only really discovered I have it relatively recently and therefore never really thought about using it before. I don't 'use' it much in everyday life, but it does make for a good conversation starter.

Is it something that has always been present in you or did something trigger it?

As far as I know, I've always had it. I've heard of very few cases where true synaesthesia is acquired rather than being born with it.

With the colours, is it a feeling that a colour is connected to an object or is that how you actually see it?

I associate the colour in my mind involuntarily. It's just the right colour for the word/whatever. People who see the text in colour are called projectors. In my mind, I see the word in the correct colour, I believe, although I don't pay attention to that usually.
I've had it once. I tripped hard, far too much for a beginner in honesty (off a legal alternative of course). I saw sounds represented in colours, which was pretty awesome. But by far (not sure if this is a symptom of synaesthesia) the best feature was the ability of sight whilst my eyes were closed. That was incredible.
Original post by darkestskies
I just looked it up, and I have it too, though I didn't realise it was another kind of synaethesia!

Basically it's when, if you think about the days of the week, or different years, or the past/future, they are visualised in sort of map-like way. You could point to the space that Tuesday occupies, or describe the direction that the passage of time follows. For example - when I think about time, I'm standing on 2012, looking permanently into the past of a long timeline that slants downwards to my left. :tongue:

I do this too! I often confuse words beginning with or containing a prominent F, W or T because they're all green letters. Those are my worst ones, although A and E are both yellow and that can be a bit annoying too.

Is that not normal? i can draw a map of the year...like each month has it's own space and colour and its the same with the days of the week but i thought everyone did that? just a general way of visualising it..
Original post by Care-Free
Is that not normal? i can draw a map of the year...like each month has it's own space and colour and its the same with the days of the week but i thought everyone did that? just a general way of visualising it..

I thought it was completely normal too, until I mentioned it to a few people who said they had absolutely no visualisation of these things. It just isn't something they have as an image in their head. That said, a lot of people do seem to do it - but it definitely isn't everyone, and it is, apparently, a form of synaesthesia. I don't know. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest