The Student Room Group

TSR Biology Society

Scroll to see replies

I'll join, although at this rate i'm not even going to get above an E in my AS Biology as i've hardly been taught any of it and i have so much left to learn! Oh well.
Reply 21
has anyone heard of nanotechnology?
Reply 22
SiAnY
I'll join, although at this rate i'm not even going to get above an E in my AS Biology as i've hardly been taught any of it and i have so much left to learn! Oh well.

Thats really annoying :mad: my teachers just set us homework to read the textbook (which isnt great for learning throughout the year) and decdied to let us teach ourself the reproduction section, which is quite alot! So i now have a biology tutor to help :biggrin:
Reply 23
SiAnY

I'll add you to the members list.

I haven't had much of the biology 'taught' either - Chapter 7 in 'Biology 1' (OCR) consisted of "this is GCSE stuff. you should know it." And that was it.

I'm sure with some revision/past papers ect you should be ok, if not, you can always retake.
Reply 24
me!
has anyone heard of nanotechnology?

Yes, why?

Oh can I join the Biology Society? :smile:
Reply 25
shiny

yes you can :smile:
Reply 26
shiny
Yes, why?

I just read a book and it was quite scary really! In these injections there were these little, tiny gold bullet things the size of a pin head and inside the gold bullet there was cynide, the little thing was coated with a protein or something to make it go to the heart after it had been injected into the people (through innoculations for routine things like BCG's etc) because of the type of protein it is coated with the little bullet thing ends up at the heart because each place in the body has a different type of protein or something and as the thing is coated with a protein from the heart or soemthing it goes there. The thing just sits in the heart and isn't dangerous unless the nano thing breaks apart, which can be done using a romote control to activate satillites to project some wave beginning with t (I can't remember it's name but it lies between infared and microwaves in the spectrum) the wave breaks apart the nano and so the poision is released directly inside the heart!!!!! Quite scary really!

Oh can I join the biology society too?
LS.
I'll add you to the members list. I haven't had much of the biology 'taught' either - Chapter 7 in 'Biology 1' (OCR) consisted of "this is GCSE stuff. you should know it." And that was it. I'm sure with some revision/past papers ect you should be ok, if not, you can always retake.

I haven't been taught Chapters 10, 11, 13, 14 and half of 16 i.e. most of health and disease and half of transport. It's ridiculous, i mean they get paid to TEACH but they don't and even why they try to they just sit at the front of the classroom and read straight from the text book! Argh!
Reply 28
me!

I just read a book and it was quite scary really!

What book is this?
Reply 29
shiny
What book is this?

It's a children's book! Scorpia by Antony Horowitz... I'd never heard of nanotechnology until I'd read it but it's quite a scary technology in the wrong hands!
Reply 30
SiAnY
they get paid to TEACH but they don't and even why they try to they just sit at the front of the classroom and read straight from the text book! Argh!

That is EXACTLY what mine do! They actually dictate papragraphs from our own textbooks! :mad: The biology department in my school is the worst one after Physcology (but i don't study it).
Reply 31
me!

It's a children's book! Scorpia by Antony Horowitz... I'd never heard of nanotechnology until I'd read it but it's quite a scary technology in the wrong hands!

Well it has always been hoped that nanotechnology could lead to the design of a new breed of medical nanomachine which could be injected and heal sick people. Of course, if the machines can heal then they could easily be designed to kill as well :eek:
Reply 32
Wow, I thought it was just at my school where things were hardly taught!

Chapter 5, I think, was the worst chapter not to have taught, especially at the beginning of the year. HH&D has been read to us mainly.

Out of interest, has anyone been taught anything about monoclonal antibodies?
Reply 33
LS.
Wow, I thought it was just at my school where things were hardly taught!

Chapter 5, I think, was the worst chapter not to have taught, especially at the beginning of the year. HH&D has been read to us mainly.

Out of interest, has anyone been taught anything about monoclonal antibodies?

The OCR textbook is quite good for monoclonal antibodies (Microbio & Biotech). Something about injecting bunnies, slaughtering them, and removing their spleens...

Is anybody else shitting themselves about the OCR Synoptic?
Reply 34
mongoose
The OCR textbook is quite good for monoclonal antibodies (Microbio & Biotech). Something about injecting bunnies, slaughtering them, and removing their spleens...

I'm only at AS level, so I wouldn't know.... Questions on it came up on the 2000 exam paper, but theres nothing in the Bio 1 book, I'm wondering if it's been removed from the syllabus...
Reply 35
Can I join?

I'm doing the Edexcel AS next week! Only a few days to go..and freedom (until A2 Bio)!
Reply 36
LS.
I'm only at AS level, so I wouldn't know.... Questions on it came up on the 2000 exam paper, but theres nothing in the Bio 1 book, I'm wondering if it's been removed from the syllabus...

Oh yes, of course! No, you don't need to know anything about monoclonal antibodies for Health and Disease. The 2000 paper would've been based on the old syllabus.
Reply 37
shiny
Well it has always been hoped that nanotechnology could lead to the design of a new breed of medical nanomachine which could be injected and heal sick people. Of course, if the machines can heal then they could easily be designed to kill as well :eek:

The new and different technology never ceases to amaze me, there's always something going on something being developed and the majority of which I know nothing about :rolleyes: Also scary in the wrong hands especially when schemes you read about in a children's book are perfectly feasible...
Reply 38
the_wizzz
Can I join?

I'm doing the Edexcel AS next week! Only a few days to go..and freedom (until A2 Bio)!

I'm doing AS edexcel too :smile: Hope it goes well for you
Reply 39
me!
The new and different technology never ceases to amaze me, there's always something going on something being developed and the majority of which I know nothing about :rolleyes: Also scary in the wrong hands especially when schemes you read about in a children's book are perfectly feasible...

Are you going to do sciency stuff? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending