Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Biology Society

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm at uni, first year Biomed. Can someone please help me with this stuff on spores in bacteria? I'd really appreciate it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the Examiner Report of the coursework of Edexcel last year?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hi guys - doing some revision and I don't trust this website im using. Is it true that pioneer plants don't change the environment / facilitate??
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Method of measuring curvature of a radicle??
    Please help me!!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VetWannabeee)
    hi guys - doing some revision and I don't trust this website im using. Is it true that pioneer plants don't change the environment / facilitate??
    Pioneer plants change some of the abiotic factors, eg, how rich the soil is (nutrients)
    And yes, they do facilitate. I wouldn't trust the website youre using if I were you.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyselfEtAl)
    Pioneer plants change some of the abiotic factors, eg, how rich the soil is (nutrients)
    And yes, they do facilitate. I wouldn't trust the website youre using if I were you.
    But I don't think they change the immdediate enviroment so I mean like bushes providing habitats and food chains ect .. it changes it to start the process of succession
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    could someone please define the terms for me;

target tissue
    respiratory substrate

thanks
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volvicstar)
    could someone please define the terms for me;

target tissue
    respiratory substrate

thanks
    The target tissue is the group of cells that a compound, e.g. a hormone is supposed to work at. For example, the target tissue for adrenaline is a heart tissue.

A respiratory substrate is a compound that will bind to an enzyme, in order to facilitate respiration (aerobic or anaerobic), such as glucose.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    The target tissue is the group of cells that a compound, e.g. a hormone is supposed to work at. For example, the target tissue for adrenaline is a heart tissue.

A respiratory substrate is a compound that will bind to an enzyme, in order to facilitate respiration (aerobic or anaerobic), such as glucose.
    thanks
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this book recommended for A Level Biology?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...A3KK0S74UJZEWZ
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    No, it depends on the school and exam board
    a good one for OCR is OCR biology heinmann

or advanced biology micheal kent for all exam boards AS and A2
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    Advanced Biology by Jones and Jones is excellent!

Didn't realise it was that expensive though!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me with my thread, so far i have 149 views but no reply ):
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Biology by Jones and Jones is excellent!

Didn't realise it was that expensive though!
    Cheers mate!

Haha, the price is fine. It'll be worth it at the end :teehee:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aceySnicks_x)
    can someone help me with my thread, so far i have 149 views but no reply ):
    Which thread? :erm:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I would love to join our society. I'm interesting and fascinating about biology and other natural sciences! So Introduce myself!

Name: Gregorius alias Kallisto
    Hobbies: reading, art, martial art, sport (mainly martial art ), natural science (physics, biology and chemistry of course)
    Where you live: Anywhere in Germany
    Current Studying level: Studying for my life and an A-level at the moment!
    What you are studying: natural sciences (physics, biology and chemistry), languages (German, English and Latin) and social sciences (history and politic/economy) - these are my subjects.
    Hero(s): Gregor Mendel is one of my hero in biology: he has discovered the mendelian inheritance which were an important step in genetics in my opinion!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm wonder why there is no a member who is writing in this topic. Okay, it's my turn again!
    I'm reading doctrines about molecular genetics. I want to know what happen by a glycosidic bond. Why is it so important for DNA? Please answer in a short comment, if it's possible.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I'm wonder why there is no a member who is writing in this topic. Okay, it's my turn again!
    I'm reading doctrines about molecular genetics. I want to know what happen by a glycosidic bond. Why is it so important for DNA? Please answer in a short comment, if it's possible.
    Hi, a glycosidic bond is formed by a condensation reaction (one water molecule is lost), just like when two glucose molecules condense to form one molecule of maltose.

The opposite of a condensation reaction is a hydrolysis reaction, which is where one molecule of water is added to a compound, which splits it into two, e.g. maltose + water --> 2 glucose.

One nucleotide (the repeating unit of any nucleic acid, e.g. DNA, RNA) is joined up to another via a glycosidic bond. Also, each part of a nucleotide (the pentose sugar, the organic base, and the phosphate group) is linked by a glycosidic bond.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, a glycosidic bond is formed by a condensation reaction (one water molecule is lost), just like when two glucose molecules condense to form one molecule of maltose. (...)
    Hmmm... that sounds after an esterification as in a reaction between deoxyribose and phosphoric acid in this case. One water molecule is lost as well by this reacton. That's why I think a glycosic bond is also an esterification. That makes sense, because a condensation reaction IS an one. Am I right?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Hmmm... that sounds after an esterification as in a reaction between deoxyribose and phosphoric acid in this case. One water molecule is lost as well by this reacton. That's why I think a glycosic bond is also an esterification. That makes sense, because a condensation reaction IS an one. Am I right?
    Esterification is different as it has the following group:

O
    ||
    C-O-R
    |
    R

, whereas a glycosidic bond has the following group:

....R.....R
    ....|......|
    R-C-O-C-R
    ....|......|
    ....R.....R

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 6, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.