The Student Room Group

TSR Biology Society

Welcome to the TSR Biology Society!

Click here to join!

Come in to discuss anything at all about biology or any related subject applied to biology! :biggrin:
Join up, introduce yourself and chat away - chat about biology, school work, your course...anything half-relevant to bio :p:

Why not add a link in your signature if you're a member? :gah:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You can join the society if you do GCSE/AS/A2/Degree level Biology and are fascinated by Biology. Just reply to the thread then place 'member of TSR Biology Society' in your signiture.

Member list

LS. (founder)
twinkledust
Ramaya
Misty
SiAnY
shiny
the_wizzz
lovely_girl
me!
priya
hihihihi
KOH
Sarky
Me2
Hornblower
Zombie
Glance
allisandro
BEffect
Shushimeng
figgetyfig
Zazy
®eAl ©uTe Eye$
Ellie4
sumi2000
Hawk
schuppy124
Tealer
mabs
MadNatSci
Sabalotz
randdom
sunjuice
ianaf18
Tombomb
heather_1
x Dee x
ƒlå®è®
tiger_babe
McGeadie
*adi*
lil_crazyflakes
Saf!
Seth
Asmidiske
Gio
visesh
Purple_Dreamer
darkenergy
Pmc2k
marcusfox
froggymills
asjad_03
Whizz Kid
crana9
loradora68
-Sian-
feeling good
Vhisko
soonalvin
usman_s
Ramsy
fleur-de-lis
Pixelated
Aired
sayed_samed
SketchyCanvas
friendlyneutron
mizfissy815
greatpotter
Metal_Mistress
alexsmithson
prinzessin1988
GandalfdaGoblin
MissSurfer
oxfordbrooks
Sezkin
mysteryman
aiman
smallguy54321
Iscariot

Honorary Member

Fluffy

VUP (Very Unimportant Person)
Mathemagician

Useful websites

mrothery
Cells Alive
i'll join
Reply 3
I'll join :biggrin: i did 3 hours of revison for biology in the library today and forgot my food and drink so i was pretty hungry.
i'm doing bio now, almost finished my notes on the entire AS course!
Reply 5
This is getting out of control.
Reply 6
samdavyson

It is?
Reply 7
I'm probably going to leave my biology revision until about 2 days until the exam, I've been revising for it the past couple of months; writing up the text book in not form, doing past papers ect.

Do you guys have a favourite area of biology? Mine's probably human physiological biology.
Reply 8
samdavyson

It probably is, but it hurts no-one.
Reply 9
me me ! doing bio A2 and wanna be a bio teacher!
Reply 10
LS.
I'm probably going to leave my biology revision until about 2 days until the exam, I've been revising for it the past couple of months; writing up the text book in not form, doing past papers ect.

Do you guys have a favourite area of biology? Mine's probably human physiological biology.

My favourite areas in biology are the heart and genetics.
Reply 11
My favourite has to be physiology and a bit of biochemistry
Reply 12
My favourite has to be physiology and a bit of biochemistry

Biochemistry can be interesting to. Makes me glad I do chemistry as well, since in the biology syllabus a lot of the biochemical parts are left unfinished/unexplained.
Reply 13
LS.
Biochemistry can be interesting to. Makes me glad I do chemistry as well, since in the biology syllabus a lot of the biochemical parts are left unfinished/unexplained.

Talking of biochemistry perhaps you can help! In my biochem textbook it says that glycogen is less dense and more soluble than amylopectin... but then in another part where it discusses the solubility of them, it says that glycogen is more soluble than amylopectin due to the large number of short, branched chains. I would've thought more brances in glycogen would mean it was more dense, and thus, less soluble, as water molecules would be able to gain less access??
Reply 14
mongoose
Talking of biochemistry perhaps you can help! In my biochem textbook it says that glycogen is less dense and more soluble than amylopectin... but then in another part where it discusses the solubility of them, it says that glycogen is more soluble than amylopectin due to the large number of short, branched chains. I would've thought more brances in glycogen would mean it was more dense, and thus, less soluble, as water molecules would be able to gain less access??
More branches = more sites for hydrolysis
Reply 15
Edit: I don't think what I wrote is correct.
Reply 16
LS.
It probably is, but it hurts no-one.

Sure I am not against it, merely noting. Recently the number of Societys - Through the roof.
Reply 17
LS.
Edit: I don't think what I wrote is correct.
What did you write?
Reply 18
More branches = more sites for hydrolysis

Lol thanks. I was just ruminating over it, and it occured to me that more branching would mean that there is less scope for close interaction between polymeric chains, which would the molecule more accessible to water. :biggrin:
Reply 19
What did you write?

I was looking it through the view of polymers, branching making a substance less dense ect

Quick Reply