The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212: Molecules, Biodiversity, Food & Health - 21 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
finished making notes on the first 2 modules. only biodiversity left.
Any tips for how i can memorise my notes. simple concepts but difficult to remember as its all quite random.. mainly the biological molecules.. love DNA and immunity/vaccination though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Howdiiee Dudes!

does any one have f212 2012 paper in Jan?
Original post by Boqore
Howdiiee Dudes!

does any one have f212 2012 paper in Jan?

Yep. Here it is, along with the mark scheme and all the grade boundaries for the F212 exam (since June 2009). There is no insert for this as it is too large to upload to TSR, but I don't think you need it to do the paper! Please +ve rep if useful! :smile:
Hi F212 people!
At school we got given a revision disc with loads of past questions (from the previous specification) that are relevant to this course.

I've uploaded them to Google Docs, and they should be viewable from the below link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By84nmCmJZnWMU5EN2RDcmtBU2s

This includes questions for F211, F212, F214 and F215

Please +ve rep if this has been helpful! :biggrin:
Thought I'd drop in, I took this exam last year and made a thread with some revision resources on it :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1768558 , I ended up with a B in F211 and a solid A in F212, so I got an A grade for Biology overall last year, I'm doing my A2s now, and thankfully have dropped Biology :tongue: Hope you all get on with the subject more than I did, and good luck for your exams!
Reply 25
Original post by Raj K
lol no problem..i hated this exam soo much..so that's why i had to prepare for it so much..what i did was i made my notes from the ocr main textbook revised them regularly..and used some really good notes from the internet..i'll send them to you)..and did every past paper available..(keep doing them again and again)..hope that helped!

Where exactly did you get these notes from? They sound very useful. :colone:

<3 x
Reply 26
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Hi F212 people!
At school we got given a revision disc with loads of past questions (from the previous specification) that are relevant to this course.

I've uploaded them to Google Docs, and they should be viewable from the below link:

Thanks for posting this, looks great!
Original post by Syans
Thanks for posting this, looks great!

Its my pleasure :smile: Anything to help fellow biologists :biggrin:
Right so I'm doing this exam for an embarrassing fourth time now (resit student) and each time I plateau at a B, a few marks of an A. Do you guys have any tips for what I can do to pull my grade up? The last couple of times I've done it I feel like I've learned the content to death and done every exam question I could get my hands on but obviously it's not enough and I really just want that A!
Reply 29
yep. Here it is, along with the mark scheme and all the grade boundaries for the f212 exam (since june 2009). There is no insert for this as it is too large to upload to tsr, but i don't think you need it to do the paper! Please +ve rep if useful! :smile:

thankk youu! You're a star!!

p.s have you got f211 jan 2012?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Niki_girl
Thought I'd drop in, I took this exam last year and made a thread with some revision resources on it :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1768558 , I ended up with a B in F211 and a solid A in F212, so I got an A grade for Biology overall last year, I'm doing my A2s now, and thankfully have dropped Biology :tongue: Hope you all get on with the subject more than I did, and good luck for your exams!

Original post by the_alybot
Right so I'm doing this exam for an embarrassing fourth time now (resit student) and each time I plateau at a B, a few marks of an A. Do you guys have any tips for what I can do to pull my grade up? The last couple of times I've done it I feel like I've learned the content to death and done every exam question I could get my hands on but obviously it's not enough and I really just want that A!

Hi F212 people!

Hey guys,
could you help me? I'm resitting f211 and doing the f212 this summer (damn),
From speaking to others its about technique. Have you got any tips, advice, technique etc that you can offer? (I'm stressing out!)
Original post by Boqore
Hey guys,
could you help me? I'm resitting f211 and doing the f212 this summer (damn),
From speaking to others its about technique. Have you got any tips, advice, technique etc that you can offer? (I'm stressing out!)

I spoke to someone else on here earlier about the same exams, so I'll just repeat what I said in my message to them, :smile:

Right, well I did OCR AS biology too, but the main thing with all Biology is that there is a lot to cover, so I advise making a massive checklist of things that appear in both exams, and look at the weighting for each unit. For example last year, my Unit 2 paper was worth 60% or something, and so even though I got a B on Unit 1, I ended up with an A overall thanks to Unit 2.

For Biology the worst thing I did was revise for 12 hours before the (F211)Unit 1 exam, and as a result that was my worst exam. Cramming really won't work here, and so I suggest trying to study 2 hours a day of Biology at least, up until your exam dates, and perhaps 3/4 hours a day the week before, if you have study leave.

Think about what you have actually produced, I suggest revision cards for each definition (see if you have a glossary at the back of your textbook, or just go through and find the key words/ terms)and then mindmaps to summarise each topic area, and posters on all of the key processes. You can also condense your class notes/ the textbook into bullet points, lists or flow-diagrams.

Make a colour code for each area within each topic, red for NEED TO GO OVER AGAIN, amber for CHECK OVER, BUT JUST READ RESOURCES YOU'VE MADE and green for READY TO GO ONTO PAST PAPERS. That's the last stage, after you've finished re-reading your class notes (fill in knowledge gap with textbook) and making resources (in the format I suggested above), go over past papers, either by topic or just in general. At first, answer questions with notes, then try and do them from memory and in timed conditions. Make a note of what you get wrong, and then refer to the mark scheme and possibly look over your notes for that section again.

Make a timetable (preferably with all of your exams on) and spread it over 7 days a week, doing about 4/5 hours of revision on average, per day. Then look over the specification, just to make sure you're covering everything. The trick is, to do some each day - particularly definitions/ key formulae - and get it into your memory like that, and cement that knowledge by answering past paper questions (much of Biology is about exam technique, and they DO look for exact words and phrases in certain questions, in the same way that certain words are rejected for some questions - check the mark scheme!).

I know it's scary, I'm an A2 student and I'm still terrified for my exams in May/June, but if you trust in yourself and work hard you can do it! Just stay motivated and try not to panic, after about an hour's revision take a 20 minute break, and structure it throughout the day. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 32
What are your predictions on topics/questions you think are most likely to come up in the exam based on the past. Any hunches?
Also what are your most favourite/easiest topics and the ones you like least/find more difficult to understand?
Reply 33
Original post by Syans
What are your predictions on topics/questions you think are most likely to come up in the exam based on the past. Any hunches?
Also what are your most favourite/easiest topics and the ones you like least/find more difficult to understand?

shall we ask each other questions?
Reply 34
can someone please tell me if exam starts at half 9am or 2pm? I got entered for exam late so it isn't on my timetable. thanks
Reply 35
heyeyyy
I was just wondering, does any one have any access to past papers earlier than June 2009? I've answered every paper multiple times and I am desperate for some more variety lolol
thanksss :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by mushy1993
can someone please tell me if exam starts at half 9am or 2pm? I got entered for exam late so it isn't on my timetable. thanks

Mines at 1:30 so I'm guessing 2 at your school.
Guys there is a lot more going on here :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by funkscam
heyeyyy
I was just wondering, does any one have any access to past papers earlier than June 2009? I've answered every paper multiple times and I am desperate for some more variety lolol
thanksss :smile:

Then you'll love this:
http://www.sci2.co.uk/biology.html
:biggrin: Have fun! A whole 8 years worth of papers..
AS 2802 AND AS 2804/1 are the ones you need, but there's obviously a lot of stuff you don't need due to significant changes to specification and there's complete overlaps with F211, but looked through them and similar questions to answer are great for revision.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Then you'll love this:
http://www.sci2.co.uk/biology.html
:biggrin: Have fun! A whole 8 years worth of papers..
AS 2802 AND AS 2804/1 are the ones you need, but there's obviously a lot of stuff you don't need due to significant changes to specification and there's complete overlaps with F211, but looked through them and similar questions to answer are great for revision.

hahah wow, there's so much there, but that's exactly what I was looking for which is an incredible helpppp, thankyou :} x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending