The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Qui Audet Vincit
On the RAF careers website it says an engineering degree is required, but what sort of engineering degree? I'm doing materials science and engineering which is a MEng, does anybody know if that'll count?

I'm not asking the AFCO, I'm not joining anything for about 4-5 years.

I think there might be a clue in your question.:rolleyes:
Reply 2
I did look at REME officer and that gives a long list of degrees which it will accept and materials science is not one of them. Will RAF engineering be similar though?
Reply 3
I went on an engineering officer visit to cranwell and wittering through the AFCO 2 years ago. The info i got from that was any MEng Degree will do. Also, from what i found out at the FAM visit, was that different degrees are given different "points", depending on how relevant the degree is to the job you are going to do. So, your degree might be at the lower end of the scale, but mechanical and electrical engineering might be nearer the top end. I think that scale might just affect your PAY and PROMOTION, not sure. Just phone your AFCO!
Reply 4
This thread isn't a (pathetic attempt at a) wah, someone must have the definite answer. Someone must be able to quote some RAF documents, surely?
Reply 5
If you actually want to do some hands on enginering then don't join the forces cos you wont do any. The majority of your time is spent signing documents and doing divisonal reports. Very boring. Your degree should be fine as all they are after is the maths and science content. If you seriously want to go eng officer arrange a trip to a base and see what they do first hand. I think you'll be suprised.
Reply 6
big_pd
If you seriously want to go eng officer arrange a trip to a base and see what they do first hand. I think you'll be suprised.

I'm not that serious, I'm just looking at it as a back up. A lot of officer roles in the forces tend to be paperwork based anyway (especially in army eg Non-teeth arms). Brother in law is a SNCO in Airframes and I'm guessing being an officer (esp JO) similar tasks will be done.
Reply 7
This thread isn't a (pathetic attempt at a) wah

What you on about?
Reply 8
Scotsman88
This thread isn't a (pathetic attempt at a) wah

What you on about?

don't worry about it, it's an arrse thing
Ich_Dien

It's not an arrse thing you dullard. *Shock horror* it is used elsewhere but on that forum.
Reply 10
hurryupandwait
It's not an arrse thing you dullard. *Shock horror* it is used elsewhere but on that forum.

You do take pleasure in correcting me don't you?

It's a foces wide thing, I was subject to it when I met Wzz's friends :rolleyes: :wink:

Latest