The Student Room Group

How many languages can you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
English, Arabic and can probably hold a conversation in French and can understand a fair amount (but definitely not fluent).
Reply 41
Arabic and English fluently, and GCSE level French
Reply 42
I'm fluent in English and Bulgarian
Got an A* in iGCSE French, but honestly I wouldn't coun't GCSEs as languages as they're too basic in my opinion /:
I understand Greek (and Greek Cypriot) pretty well having lived in Cyprus for 10 years, and I can speak quite a bit too, though not fluent.
English
Punjabi
Urdu
:smile:
three: Arabic, English, and a bit of Urdu.
I can do 3 (at different levels in all of them)

1. Fluent - English
2. Learning to be fluent - French
3. Can speak to an ok standard - German
Reply 46
I'm fluent in English and slowly getting to that point with German (although my grammar in German is atrocious). I can read french quite well but have lost pretty much all ability to speak it since I gave it up at school.
Reply 47
English...................
I'm trying to learn Italian using 'The Michel Thomas Method', no reason I just want to learn a new language and find the language interesting.
(edited 12 years ago)
I can speak English [first language] and did AS level French, but I would love to be fluent in French and more languages such as Spanish [learnt some at GCSE], Italian and maybe Portugese. Portugese for the teaching advantage as they look for speakers to work in Primary Schools to aid those whose first language isn't English, plus it's quite a nice sounding language :smile: I did some Japanese in year seven, I found writing it difficult though I remember a few words. German is quite appealing, though I favour the ones mentioned above.
I'd love to be fluent in several languages, but I don't think that's going to happen.. not anytime soon anyway!
(edited 12 years ago)
Fluent in English as it's my native tongue. According to the Oxford Language Centre placement tests I'm at higher intermediate for French (like A2/post A2 level) and lower intemediate for Spanish (like post GCSE level)

definitely want to get to a fluent level in French though, eventually :love:
Original post by CJM13
English, a bit of the Afghani languages, some Russian and some Arabic. Only some basic phrases though.

Are you Afghan? :biggrin: If not how did you learn the languages?
Reply 51
Mandarin, Russian , French , Spanish, German, Italian plus a bit of Urdu and Afrikaans
dunknoe

plus im trying to learn some english
Original post by jaez121
Hi 5 Afghan mate :biggrin:

*Hi5's back* :tongue:
Reply 53
Just English :frown:
Always wanted to learn Italian and Russian though.
I can speak three languages Afrikaans, English and French!
Of which my native is Afrikaans!
Reply 55
I speak three languages: fluent Tamil and English and basic French (got A* in GCSE... somehow :biggrin: )
Trying to teach myself Telugu :smile:
Original post by Scarface-Don
Are you Afghan? :biggrin: If not how did you learn the languages?

Friend of my parents takes in Afghan refugees.
Reply 57
English- almost fluent
Russian-fluent
Kazakh- native.

I would love to learn Dutch and Italian!
I speak fluent german, english and tamil.

And i got an A for GCSE french.

Planning to teach myself mandarin and japanese. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
English- Native

French, A level

I have Swedish backgrounds :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest