Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is the rumour that durham takes ages to reply true?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I applied in October, still haven't heard anything.
    Applied for History and I know two people who have applied to Durham, for history, who have got offers. I also know another person who applied for Geography and has her offer... :/
    Will have to be patient I guess....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied in october for natural sciences, and still havent heard anything,
    but i have a friend who applied for the same course as me in october and got an offer 2 weeks
    I just hate the waiting, as ive heard from all my other unis, and durham is where i really wanna go
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just be passient guys, I applied in September and the only uni that heard of till mid January was Oxford :P.
    Even York took to the 19th of January, not to speak of Durham, St. Andrews and Edinburgh. They all seem so slow this year...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied end of September and just received an offer 2 days ago, my friend said Durham always takes a while to respond though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied in December and got an offer last week, but I'm an international so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    still waiting...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    aahh rejected =/
    Oh well..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It took them ages for me, definitely. Didn't hear 'till March or April, and I believe most of my friends who applied had the same.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering, is the waiting time for postgraduate application as long? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wholemeal)
    i was just wondering, is the waiting time for postgraduate application as long? :confused:
    Hey,

To answer your question: I applied for MSc Strategic Marketing on May 18th and received my offer on the 23rd the same month! I suppose the waiting depends on several factors:

- How busy are admissions at the time
    - When you apply - if you are a late applicant they kind of have to answer quicker, since they have deadlines as well
    - The program you apply to - if it is a popular choice, it is natural for admissions to take longer, since there are more applications to be processed.

And in the end, the "waiting game" experience is individual for each applicant. Hope I was of some help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeddyToneva)
    Hey,

To answer your question: I applied for MSc Strategic Marketing on May 18th and received my offer on the 23rd the same month! I suppose the waiting depends on several factors:

- How busy are admissions at the time
    - When you apply - if you are a late applicant they kind of have to answer quicker, since they have deadlines as well
    - The program you apply to - if it is a popular choice, it is natural for admissions to take longer, since there are more applications to be processed.

And in the end, the "waiting game" experience is individual for each applicant. Hope I was of some help
    Thanks for the reply! I did eventually get a reply, about a month later? Which is actually fine for a waiting time, I was too anxious for my own good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply! I did eventually get a reply, about a month later? Which is actually fine for a waiting time, I was too anxious for my own good.
    Good to know! So.. what was the response? Are you joining us this October and if so, what are you going to be studying if you don`t mind me asking?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeddyToneva)
    Good to know! So.. what was the response? Are you joining us this October and if so, what are you going to be studying if you don`t mind me asking?
    I'm proud to say I am! I'm doing a phd in english! Just got into Ustinov
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud to say I am! I'm doing a phd in english! Just got into Ustinov

I haven't met any other PhD or Ustinov postgrads on here yet. I'll be doing mine in Geography. What will your thesis be on?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think if you apply by the earlier deadline they wait a bit, or else they end up giving all the Oxbridge candidates offers, which are then insuranced or rejected.

May be an old wives' tale though. I never heard back - I chose my insurance and firm because I didn't want to wait months after I'd got my other offers.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting, not heard anything from 2 departments.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    I'm still waiting, not heard anything from 2 departments.
    Which departments?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jh_m)
    Which departments?
    Physics and Nat Sci.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Physics and Nat Sci.
    Is Durham your first choice? Where else did you apply?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me, and many others I know, they took the longest to reply by far. Which was annoying to say the least. The wait seemed especially long if you applied to Oxbridge too, I think mine took 5 months or so.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.