The Student Room Group

Computer Science - Many Girls?

I'm waiting for offers back from my universities and I've applied for Computer Science, I was just wondering if there's many girls on the course or is there a high chance I may be the only one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'm a girl applying for compsci too :smile: i've been to a few open days, but there were only one or two other girls there as it was mainly guys.
There's too many man, too many many man.
Expect 5:1 ratio of Guys to Girls.
There'll be loads more guys. Nothing wrong with that though. :smile:
Reply 5
It's highly unlikely you'll be the only one on the course as a whole, but in certain modules you may well find you are
Reply 6
I feel like we should have our own society on here, I wanna see how many other girls has applied for CS >_< If your chosen uni's have post offer days, it will be easier to get a tough indicator of how many girls might be there :smile:

Wouldn't be complaining if i was the only girl :wink:
Reply 7
There aren't that many girls. But.. that certainly has its advantages. You'll find that the lecturers/demonstrators/students all learn your name quite quickly and you are easy to recognise.

As an Electronics undergrad i was the only blonde girl in the course - so everyone knew me. This meant, that in the early weeks, when i was out on nights out guys who i had never spoken to would come up to me and go "oooh are you newDana from EE?". It's great :-)

I went to an all girls high school as well, so it was very nice to hang with guys again. I get on much better with men.

However, if you don't want to be treated like one of the lads, you will probably have to make a conscious effort to stop it (that is, if you get to become friends with your course mates socially). I'm quite happy with being treated as one of the guys - in fact, i prefer it and don't want "special treatment", but be warned.. this does mean you may have to put up with a) farting and b) being the butt of the occasional practical joke.

The only disadvantage i guess is that i have been "friend zoned" by a very large number of men. This would be fine, but in my undergrad i had major crushes on 2 other students, 1 of whom never knew i liked him (definitely friend zoned) and the other who i had a fling with briefly. Right now, i have a massive thing for a fellow student, he knows about it, but we're destined to forever be friends - i quote "but you're far too awesome and amazing to be with a ****wit like me". Sigh. So, i would look outside of your cohort for potential bfs - it can get a bit messy otherwise. Other than that? It's awesome :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
To be fair, I'm quite surprised there are 4 girls even in this thread :P.
That does make me feel slightly less like a complete social reject <3.
Original post by CJKay
To be fair, I'm quite surprised there are 4 girls even in this thread :P.
That does make me feel slightly less like a complete social reject <3.

Actually I think there might be 5, considering this thread has been up for 20 hours open to the whole of UK and the world it doesn't look optimistic for us male Computer scientists.

Reply 10
Original post by Maccabees
I'm waiting for offers back from my universities and I've applied for Computer Science, I was just wondering if there's many girls on the course or is there a high chance I may be the only one?

The more of you go to do CS, the better. :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by Casshern1456
Actually I think there might be 5, considering this thread has been up for 20 hours open to the whole of UK and the world it doesn't look optimistic for us male Computer scientists.

I did just realise 5, I only counted 4 because I just looked at the gender symbols. Typical male mind, eh?

But contrary to your point, there are still less males in this thread!
Reply 12
This year in Imperial Computing first year there seems have been an overwhelming increase in the number of girls. I think it's down to the airbrushed face of our new admissions tutor.
Reply 13
It's a shame I suck too much at completing an exam on a year's worth of magnetism tutoring for 7 years' programming experience to be of any significance.
Reply 14
There are quite a few girls applying http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=281402
Reply 15
Original post by taliman
There are quite a few girls applying http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=281402

Erm... that thread is almost 5 years old and the latest post was almost 3 years ago...
Reply 16
Original post by CJKay
Erm... that thread is almost 5 years old and the latest post was almost 3 years ago...

Yeah I know... was just pointing out that there are a lot of girls applying for computer science
Reply 17
Original post by newDana
[...] b) being the butt of the occasional practical joke.

The only disadvantage i guess is that i have been "friend zoned" by a very large number of men.

There's a reason why those guys are very willing to hang out with you. The majority of guys around you secretly (or not so secretly, but as it's EE I'd go for the former) want to have sexual intercourse with you (unless the chap is homosexual). You might not be aware of it, but the sexual attraction's always there (unless you're some manly dyke), whether you like it or not. Those guy friends of yours wouldn't at all mind having some physical contact with you, keep that in mind next time you see them. Oh and there's nothing wrong with casual sex.

Oops, I didn't mean to tell the truth intentionally, my bad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hoffa
There's a reason why those guys are very willing to hang out with you. The majority of guys around you secretly (or not so secretly, but as it's EE I'd go for the former) want to have sexual intercourse with you (unless the chap is homosexual). You might not be aware of it, but the sexual attraction's always there (unless you're some manly dyke), whether you like it or not. Those guy friends of yours wouldn't at all mind having some physical contact with you, keep that in mind next time you see them. Oh and there's nothing wrong with casual sex.

Oops, I didn't mean to tell the truth intentionally, my bad.

You sound like such a small-minded prick, there is nothing wrong with guys hanging around with girls it doesn't mean they want sex and the way you put it makes CompScientist or any other heavily male populated course sound like desperate perverts, you may view all females as a sexual object for conquests it doesn't mean every guy does, you give us a bad name I hope I will never know you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Casshern1456
You sound like such a small-minded prick, there is nothing wrong with guys hanging around with girls it doesn't mean they want sex and the way you put it makes CompScientist or any other heavily male populated course sound like desperate perverts, you may view all females as a sexual object for conquests it doesn't mean every guy does, you give us a bad name I hope I will never know you.

Thank God for super-ego.

I don't mind you trying to be politically correct, but that whole prattle about viewing all women as objects is nothing I have ever mentioned or implied. Maybe you should stop projecting your own insecurities, personal prejudices and being such oh-so-wise bigot. I know it sounds cliché, but truth hurts; it's something you lock deep inside of you, and react awkwardly and in a very defensive stance when someone suddenly shovels it out. "[...] doesn't mean every guy does", of course, I'm not saying every guy wants to have sex with their girly female friends; as I mentioned in my previous post, it doesn't apply to homosexuals.

But who knows, maybe if you lie to yourself and to others long enough, women will think you're a nice guy and suddenly you become a mobile pussy magnet. Maybe one day you'll penetrate the piehole of that cute female friend of yours... oh wow, who am I kidding, you're not like the others.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending