Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petes attempt to lose weight

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Weigh in at the start of the contest and i am at about 95kg. Need to be down to 90 or lower by 13 February for my next powerlifting contest.

To see my starting pics look in the entry thread.

My aims for this contest is to lose weight while minimising strength loses. hopefully get rid of the gut, any definition for other parts of my body is just an added bonus.

I am going to post in here my workout logs and my diet in an attempt to keep track and get helpful advice on both those things
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Workout update

I had a curl-bro day today. Didnt fancy deadlifting/squating as went heavy with both on monday, and didnt want to carry my new belt with me around uni all day.

not bothering to list all the warmup sets, but they were there

OHP

20*lots
    30*3
    45*5,5,5

Bench

60*2
    70*2
    65*2,5,4
    64*4

I was on the worse bench at the gym, which meant no fail catcher just above my face, and slight gaps between sections which you lie on, so not happy with that.

Incline Bench

50*5,5,5

T-bar row

60*5,5,5
    70*5

Might have gone a bit light to start with.

Chins/Dips Supersetted

BW*2/2

Gave up on that cos of the low reps

Chest press machine

45*4
    65*1
    60*1
    55*10
    Dropset: 55*5, 45*2, 35*2, 25*4, 15*6)

Cardio on bike/cross trainer/treadmill
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Diet update

Started weighing my food today

Breakfast

106g of tesco instant oat cereal
    400g of milk with the oats

1 scoop of whey with 280g of milk

Lunch

chicken (220g cooked weight, 300 uncooked weight)
    Cheese 100g

PWOS - 1 scoop Whey with water

Dinner (all in the slowcooker before i went to uni)

Chicken (300g uncooked)
    Bacon 100g
    Potatos 100g
    2 sliced peppers
    2 onions
    some brocilli

Probably going to have another shake with milk later
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    next time you use your throw cooker, chuck enough stuff in to make 4 meals - makes eating the next day easier

remember to ask reception at the gym
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    next time you use your throw cooker, chuck enough stuff in to make 4 meals - makes eating the next day easier
    that's a really good tip.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Pete)
    Diet update

Started weighing my food today

Breakfast

106g of tesco instant oat cereal
    400g of milk with the oats

1 scoop of whey with 280g of milk

Lunch

chicken (220g cooked weight, 300 uncooked weight)
    Cheese 100g

PWOS - 1 scoop Whey with water

Dinner (all in the slowcooker before i went to uni)

Chicken (300g uncooked)
    Bacon 100g
    Potatos 100g
    2 sliced peppers
    2 onions
    some brocilli

Probably going to have another shake with milk later
    all I'm gonna say about this, is that if you're trying to lose weight, maybe replace whatever cheese you had for lunch (I'm assuming you had a regular full fat sort of cheddar or something here) for half fat cheese. Tesco do a half-fat cheddar that is half the fat and half the calories of normal cheddar, and tastes just as yummy.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    all I'm gonna say about this, is that if you're trying to lose weight, maybe replace whatever cheese you had for lunch (I'm assuming you had a regular full fat sort of cheddar or something here) for half fat cheese. Tesco do a half-fat cheddar that is half the fat and half the calories of normal cheddar, and tastes just as yummy.
    Agreed xD
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    i agree with this, and this is what i do
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're at 95kg? You lucky guy, been losing weight at uni, got down to a high 97, but now that I'm a home I'm finding it difficult to not hit triple digits
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    You're at 95kg? You lucky guy, been losing weight at uni, got down to a high 97, but now that I'm a home I'm finding it difficult to not hit triple digits
    When i started weight training just over a year ago i was 82kg and i wanted to lose weight. But a very bad/large diet for most of that time lead to an increase in weigh not decrease
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Todays food log

(today is the first day since saturday when i haven't been to the gym/kickboxing class)

also inspired by commandant and Mhorman doing so (i am sure others have but i havent checked) i have worked out the macro breakdown

Breakfast

100g instant oats Kcals 375/Prot 11.7/Carb 58/ Fat 8.7
    400g milk 200/13.6/20/6.8
    1 scoop whey 98/20/1.5/1.7

Breakfast total 673/44.7/79.5/17.2

Lunch

Lettuce 0/0/0/0
    Cheese 90g 369/22.5/0/31 (so it turns out i didn't get the low fat stuff this time, must not have been on the offer, ohh well 300g to go)
    Tuna, 1 can, in sunflower oil, mostly drained 247/35.2/0/11.7

Lunch total 616/57.7/0/42.7

Diner

1 pepperoni pizza 1058/50/98/50

Total for day so far:
    Kcals 2347
    Protein 152.4
    Carbs 177.5
    Fats 109.9

I have noticed i may not be doing this low carb thing the right way, who knew pizza's didnt fit in with that?

Hopefully continuing to post my diet up here will motivate me to eat better.

I will probably have another protein shake before bed or thereabouts.

May also have an alcoholic beverage or two, as my best friend recently left the minimum wage job we both had during uni (where i still am at, in both cases), to a very very tidy programmer job earning more than everyone at the current place, other than the general manager. Although typing out this food log has made me less inclined to drink lots of calories
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol yeh pizza is carb high (think how big the base is, and it's a bready substance), and really REALLY calorific. Well now you know at least.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck Pete! Hope everything's going well for you :-).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    went out drinking thursday night, lots of calories, ops

Had exam friday morning, got chocolate to help get rid of hangover, then tesco fried chicken for diner

Today was going better, oats for breakfast, chicken and carrots for lunch, planned/planning on having mussels for dinner (going to go cook now). Then i was awesome at work and got a free bag of sweets, which i ate, bad times

Going gym tomorrow for some heavy squats and deadlifts, should be good fun, also going to try and cook an entire chicken in the slowcooker, and see what happens
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Gym update

Squat

120*5,3,3

Had the belt too lose, so used the back of my locker key to tighten it up (lever belt), then for my last set had some of the instructors at the gym watching me, which was kinda distracting.

OHP

47.5*5,3,2 (pp*3 at end)

Think that might be a new 5RM, but not sure, went a long time without doing any OHP's

Bench

55*10,8,7

Went light with these as my arms were pretty dead from the OHPing, thought i would get some volume in

Deadlift

155*5,5,4

Nearly got a new 3*5 record for deadlift, but muscle on the side of my left hip cramped up/pulled tight as i was resetting to go for the last rep, so had to shake it out.

Diet update

Since the last diet update things have been pretty clean. yesterday my onlymeals were oats for breakfast (70g of oats + milk, plus protein shake), 450g pot of low fat yogurt for lunch, roast chicken with half a large potato+carrots+onions in weak gravy mopped up with one bit of bread, then a small amount of chocolate buttons later on.

So far today, oats + protein for breakfast, about to have the rest of the chicken and veg for late lunch
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    any reason why they were watching??

nice lifting
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    no idea, it seems like they were doing a stock count or something, but when i got into position i could see them both clearly looking in my direction in the mirror

dont know why though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    they're annoying like that, and it is distracting when you can see people blatently staring. always used to put hannah off squatting, everyone would stop what they were doing and just watch lol

best was when I had hannah and two of her mates squatting lol
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lovely deads bro. 5kg higher than my 5RM for very almost 3 sets of 5...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Pete)
    Gym update

Had the belt too lose, so used the back of my locker key to tighten it up (lever belt), then for my last set had some of the instructors at the gym watching me, which was kinda distracting.
    And that's why I carry a screwdriver in my gym bag lol

You get some strange looks though when you sit on a bench and pull out a screw driver

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.