The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1
I don't know more than: it is possible to apply to more than one course at the same university. (e.g. I applied for Economics L100 and Mathematics with Economics G1L1 at UCL).
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
It is definitely allowed, don't know to what extent it's a good idea. I suppose it won't hurt you! But are you sure you want to use three slots for UCL? Have you looked into other Russian courses in London? Do you have to live in London or do you want to? If I were you, I would use two slots at most. I've seen people rejected for 3 different courses at one uni, and it limited their options as they didn't really think beyond those 3 and maybe one other.

I'm guessing more people will be wanting to do the general language degrees than Russian. It seems to have higher requirements. If you look at modern languages for example, for IB points in ranges from 30-38... i.e. what language are you doing? I would take that as a good sign as the offer for Russian is a bit lower than other languages.

Also, I think sometimes it's done by department (in Edinburgh, for example, one Admissions Tutor will know that you have applied to different courses within the Humanities Department). So essentially the same person might be looking at your three applications. But, for example, if you apply to say Computer Science and English they would both be seen separately by different Admissions Tutors from the different departments.

This is me from what I think I might know, by the way. I might be completely wrong on some accounts!!
If you're going to get in, you're going to get in - I don't really think by adding the place more than once that it will increase your chances of getting in, nor do I think that there is any weight in the argument that if the admissions tutors see that you have put it in more than once, they will think you are more eager to go to the place/do that course.

That's just what I have seen in my experience anyway.

Hope this is of some help.
Reply 4
Here's my 2 pence:

Can you show your passion for all three courses in your personal statement?
I doubt your passion for R991 can be shown clearly if what you really wanna do is just Russian.

My opinion: don't do things that can lower your chances.
Which means, don't give the admission tutors a reason to think that you just wanna get into UCL for the prestige etc. Cos what they want is a student who is passionate about the subject.
I agree with alexandros - max. 2 slots for UCL.
And you may even leave one blank, then add the last choice after receiving some offers. That's what I did.

P.S. I've got a friend who really wanna go to LSE to read Acct & Fin. He applied to 4/5 business-related courses there, and his PS was just for LSE. He thought it would show that he's set his eyes on LSE. It turns out that except Acct & Fin, all have rejected him. He's still waiting for A&F though, so I don't know if it's helped him.
Reply 5
fankan

P.S. I've got a friend who really wanna go to LSE to read Acct & Fin. He applied to 4/5 business-related courses there, and his PS was just for LSE. He thought it would show that he's set his eyes on LSE. It turns out that except Acct & Fin, all have rejected him. He's still waiting for A&F though, so I don't know if it's helped him.

I've heard LSE automatically rejects one from all courses but the one that one's PS is most directed towards.
Reply 6
I've applied to UCL for French and Russian, French and Italian, and Classics, and have had the two language interviews and been invited to a Classics interview. My PS was mostly talking about my interests in other cultures and stuff. I actually emailed the French department before I applied to ask if it was ok for me to apply for multiple courses and they were fine about it, then at my Russian interview (at SSEES), they asked me why I'd applied for three different courses. I haven't yet heard back from either of those interviews, but they seemed fairly positive and things. So I think that as long as you can give proper reasons for choosing your various courses and don't just make it look like you only want to go to UCL and don't care about the course, you'll be ok. But I'll let you know if I get three rejections from UCL...
Reply 7

Latest

Trending

Trending