Visit website

All about Newcastle

?

so...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm from Newcastle.. born and raised.

It's not that bad. The roughness of it is like other cities really. You do have rough areas and that but you know to avoid them and tbh you'll probably have no actual reason to be in a rough area unless you know someone living there, or unfortunately live there yourself.

Getting around is easy since we have the metro, plenty of buses from the city centre... shopping is good, got eldon square which is open late these days... Geordies are typically warm/welcoming people. It's not the best city in England but it's nice enough.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Subbed: I'm driving from London to Newcastle tomoro got an interview at Northumbria on Friday.
Reply 3
Original post by KingGoonIan
Subbed: I'm driving from London to Newcastle tomoro got an interview at Northumbria on Friday.

good luck! then tell me please your impressions!
Having lived there for over a year, I still really like Newcastle. It's awesome for shopping, and there's the Metrocentre too (in Gateshead) which is only a short bus ride away from the town centre. The night life is pretty good and there are some really good student nights e.g. Digital on a Monday.

Oh also, the town centre is literally 5 minutes walk from uni, which I really like/liked. Buses/the metro is fairly cheap but most things are so close by that it's easier to walk.

It can get a bit rough in town sometimes but that's usually on a weekend when all the (older) locals are out rather than students. But even when it's like that, it's not a bad place to be.

I wouldn't say it's ''the best city in England'' but it is pretty good :mmm:

Original post by greekguy
Is it newcastle so good or it is not all it is cracked up to be?
Is the city safe and particularly around northumbria uni?

Having moved from the Bradford/Leeds area, I find that Newcastle generally feels like a safer place to be 99% of the time. There are rough parts of town, like with everywhere, but the area around the uni actually pretty nice! During the day it's just... nice. I can't think of much else to say about it. At night it's the same, the surrounding areas are well lit, there are always other students wandering around because there is loads of student accommodation within 5 minutes walk of the uni especially just across the road from City Campus East.

If I wanted to go for a walk at night, I'd feel quite happy to, whereas there's no way on earth I'd go walk around Bradford uni at night (for example!)
Original post by Sakura-Chan
x

You forgot to mention that Newcastle is home to the best football team in the world! I wonder have you ever visited SJP?
Reply 6
sports direct arena now!.no! unfortunately, but i hope so.
sports direct arena now!.no! unfortunately, but i hope so.

No it's called St James' Park still by the majority of people (pundits and funs alike). If you want to get on with the locals don't even mention Sports Direct.
You forgot to mention that Newcastle is home to the best football team in the world! I wonder have you ever visited SJP?

I've been once, but football isn't really my thing :tongue: I'm usually at work when there's a match on anyway.
Reply 9

No it's called St James' Park still by the majority of people (pundits and funs alike). If you want to get on with the locals don't even mention Sports Direct.

oh! thats helpful.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm from Newcastle and I have to say I think its the greatest city I've ever visited. The town centre is beautiful full of Georgian architeture. Plenty of little old shops to discover, the quayside is a bit meh esp the sage building but I would say Newcastle is really a city of nightlife, live music, bars and clubs etc and there's really everything for everyone from old men's pubs to youthful clubs. Whilst it is quite rough tbf that's part of its charm. You'll find barely anyone from Newcastle who's stuck up, but, whilst it might not be the safest city, I'd rather live here than somewhere snooty and snobby.
Reply 11
Do people there wear t-shirt in the winter? To those who study or live there, what are your impressions ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Do people there wear t-shirt in the winter? To those who study or live there, what are your impressions ?

Yes, I see a lot of people wearin t-shirts and sometimes even shorts in town. Also, last year in one of the harshest winters on record police had to warn people to wear a coat on nights out as people were still going out in next to nothing.
Reply 13
Original post by geordiecoinman
Yes, I see a lot of people wearin t-shirts and sometimes even shorts in town. Also, last year in one of the harshest winters on record police had to warn people to wear a coat on nights out as people were still going out in next to nothing.

!!!!!!!!
x/QUOTE]

Well I just got back and I feel really really sad that I had to go.

It was really lovely there. I think it was particularly good because of how nice everyone was there. I think I might pick it over my first choice now - if I get in that is.
Reply 15
other impressions? anyone else?... post whatever you want concerning the city in this thread.
I'm from Newcastle originally and I still hold a great deal of affection for it. Yes, some people there are mental and will refuse to wear even a jumper when it's practically sub zero but geordies are really good, friendly people on the whole. There are chavs about but they don't go around attacking people and never before have I heard that geordies have a reputation for beating their wives :lolwut:
The city itself is really good, there's loads of shops, loads of nightlife, it's pretty cheap and there's plenty of cultural things to do too (theatre, art galleries etc.) so you'll never be bored. The tyne looks really pretty when everythings all lit up at night too. Plus, as a taxi driver said last time I visited "Surrey? Well ah bet ye divvn't have 24 hour Greggs down there!" Too true :yep:
Reply 17
how often does it snow in newcastle?
how often does it snow in newcastle?

Most winters. It's fairly far North so it gets colder than London, Brighton etc (although it's not as close to the sea as Brighton so the wind isn't so chilly)
Reply 19
What is gateshead?is a city near newcastle?is it within walking distance from northumbria?

Quick Reply

Latest