Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

All about Newcastle

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Quantex
Obviously the places popular with the students tend to have a much younger client base, but most other places are filled with people of all ages. You won't feel too old in your 30s. My Dad, aged 68, regularly goes out in the centre of Newcastle.

Gotta love Europe... Everybody's drunk most of the time :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by River85
I'm not a student there myself but the city isn't just catered to clubbing. It's the second home of the Royal Shakespeare Company (with the season taking place around June usually) and, with the Theatre Royal, Peoples Theatre and Tyne Theatre there are regular productions of many things year-round. If you're into hillwalking/rambling, or would like to give it a try, then the countryside in Northumberland and Durham is amongst the best in the country (plus the Lakes and North Yorkshire Moors aren't too far away). In the city itself there are a good number of quiter pubs and coffee shops if you just like to experience a quiter drink and I'm sure the university has similar things on campus. Newcastle's also got a good local music scene.

It might seem when you first arrive that everyone loves clubbing but don't worry too much. It's a fairly large university with thousands of people, young and old, and you'll find people who share your interests eventually, providing you make the effort with joining societies you're interested in.

How is renting accomodation compared to Liverpool/Manchester?
whats dipton like dh9 9ej?
Original post by stevieboo35
whats dipton like dh9 9ej?

That's like 13 miles away from Newcastle?
I love movies. How easy is it to get to good movie screens from Newcastle Uni? I'm used to paying £50+ every month at Vue cinemas so an unlimited card from cineworld/ODEN is going to be a welcomed break!
Original post by TrojanH
I love movies. How easy is it to get to good movie screens from Newcastle Uni? I'm used to paying £50+ every month at Vue cinemas so an unlimited card from cineworld/ODEN is going to be a welcomed break!

There's an Empire cinema about a 10 minute walk from the uni.
There is an Odeon at the Metrocentre and you'd have to get a bus there (like 15/20 minutes I think?).
I've just checked Google maps and there's a cineworld apparently 48 minutes away from the uni by bus, but I've never been there.
Original post by rayquaza17
There's an Empire cinema about a 10 minute walk from the uni.
There is an Odeon at the Metrocentre and you'd have to get a bus there (like 15/20 minutes I think?).
I've just checked Google maps and there's a cineworld apparently 48 minutes away from the uni by bus, but I've never been there.

Yeah, the ODEON at the Metrocentre sounds good. Can you get to it through the metro or is it bus only? What zone is it in for the metro and how long would it take?
Original post by TrojanH
Yeah, the ODEON at the Metrocentre sounds good. Can you get to it through the metro or is it bus only? What zone is it in for the metro and how long would it take?

Even though it's called the Metrocentre, the metro doesn't actually go there haha. You can get an actual train there (not a metro), but honestly it's so much easier getting the bus.
Even though it's called the Metrocentre, the metro doesn't actually go there haha. You can get an actual train there (not a metro), but honestly it's so much easier getting the bus.

Damn it, talk about misleading. :smile:
How much does it normally cost you to get there and back? Seems like a bit of a hassle to get there if I went on a weekly basis (that's how much I love films :biggrin:). I might just have to find a closer one to the Uni, know of any?
Original post by TrojanH
Damn it, talk about misleading. :smile:
How much does it normally cost you to get there and back? Seems like a bit of a hassle to get there if I went on a weekly basis (that's how much I love films :biggrin:). I might just have to find a closer one to the Uni, know of any?

No idea about the prices sorry, I haven't gotten the bus there in years!
The Empire cinema is literally a 10 minute walk from the uni, or 5 if you're a fast walker haha. It's inside this place called The Gate which has a few restaurants in it like Frankies and Bennies and Nandos.
No idea about the prices sorry, I haven't gotten the bus there in years!
The Empire cinema is literally a 10 minute walk from the uni, or 5 if you're a fast walker haha. It's inside this place called The Gate which has a few restaurants in it like Frankies and Bennies and Nandos.

It's fine, haha.
Seem's like Empires the way to go. Thanks for your help. I hope they have big screens and bigger student discounts :smile:
Original post by TrojanH
It's fine, haha.
Seem's like Empires the way to go. Thanks for your help. I hope they have big screens and bigger student discounts :smile:

Yeah I think they do student discount.
Also if you book online in advance, you get a free upgrade to the premium seats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending