The Student Room Group

Applying!!

Hi I will be 20 when I send my application tomorrow, but if I get accepted I will be 21 when I start (I turn 21 in May). Would I be classed as a mature student? If so, can I apply based on experience etc? Thanks!
Reply 1
Bump :smile:
Reply 2
I'm not sure what you mean by based on experience. Your work/life experience can certainly facilitate your application, but in most (non-vocational) courses, the primary factor will be recent academic performance. They'll want A Level results, an Access Diploma, OU Credits or something similar.
Reply 3
Mature students get no preferential treatment in the application process, unless you're talking about 20 odd years of experience and perhaps some recent relevant study through their work in the field they wish to study.

In your particular situation calling yourself a mature student will make no difference to your application and you will more than likely be asked for evidence of recent relevant study.
Reply 4
Original post by gtfo
I'm not sure what you mean by based on experience. Your work/life experience can certainly facilitate your application, but in most (non-vocational) courses, the primary factor will be recent academic performance. They'll want A Level results, an Access Diploma, OU Credits or something similar.

I have OU credits as well as A levels, I didn't mean solely based on experience. Both courses I have applied for state that mature students can apply with or without the correct qualifications and will also be considered based on interest in subject, life and work experience and if they can show they can study at degree level. I simply wanted to if this applied to me so I knew what to include in my personal statement.
Yeah if your going to be 21 on entering university you will be classed as a mature student. I am 21 in July with a daughter who will be 2 in the same month. I have on leaving sixth form with A-levels, had numerous jobs in relevance to what I wish to study, I have worked in both clinical and clerical settings in the NHS and am currently studying a course somewhat similar to Access to Science to get into Physiotherapy. Their is a section you can comment on in your personal statement under the heading of "what to include" classed as "mature students" here you can if you believe you have prior experience etc talk about it in support of your application to your chosen degree
Reply 6
Mature students I believe now have to be 25 and older, the age seems to be getting higher and higher (I thought I'd make it as a mature being over 21 but to be told at interview I'm not mature as under 25 - not by a lot I may add!).

If you have A levels and relevant OU credits then you'll be placed into the same boat as the school leavers. Not necessarily a bad thing as if you have added experience from your couple of years away from FT education then that can sway in your favour.

I'm at Cumbria doing physiotherapy btw, and have a previous degree behind me so I would've thought that I wouldve been classed as mature.
Reply 7
Original post by Maes Seren
Mature students I believe now have to be 25 and older, the age seems to be getting higher and higher (I thought I'd make it as a mature being over 21 but to be told at interview I'm not mature as under 25 - not by a lot I may add!).

If you have A levels and relevant OU credits then you'll be placed into the same boat as the school leavers. Not necessarily a bad thing as if you have added experience from your couple of years away from FT education then that can sway in your favour.

I'm at Cumbria doing physiotherapy btw, and have a previous degree behind me so I would've thought that I wouldve been classed as mature.

This is the first time I've heard such a thing; if it's true it's unique to Cumbria. You're classified as mature if you're 21 when you begin your degree.
Reply 8
They're not the only uni to tell me that. I've heard it a few times in the past 6 months or so.
Reply 9

It may due to changes in funding for sub degree level course being extended for 18-24 year olds. Plus generally for student finance purposes you are not considered financial indepedent until you are 25 or have supported yourself for 3 years. Essentially there are all sorts of thresholds for mature student status, some are admission related, finance and others are for statistical reporting purposes.

Universities can use their discretion when considering applications in terms of qualifications from candidates who are 21 or old, but they don't have to. Friends who have been applying recently for courses are always asked to provide evidence of recent level 3 or better study to secure places, where as many years ago I knew someone who went spent a year on undergraduate course part time before transferring directly to the masters program. That person did not have a previous degree, but had 20 years of relevant work experience. That is an extreme example of discretion, but I think in practice it is less common these days.
Original post by gtfo

I'm applying for Classics/Ancient History as a Mature Student ... However, I didn't do very well in my A-Levels (6 years ago) and walked out with a C - English Lit, C- RE: Ethics and Philosophy and E - History. I've explained the reasons in my Personal Statement, and my old teacher touched upon it in his reference, too.

However, last year in November and December I took the SAT's, instead of going back to College for 2 years. I did very well in these.

Do you think this will be looked at in my application more than my grades from 6 years ago as it is a more appropriate indicator of my abilities now?
Anyone???
Reply 12
Original post by Magic8BallKR
I'm applying for Classics/Ancient History as a Mature Student ... However, I didn't do very well in my A-Levels (6 years ago) and walked out with a C - English Lit, C- RE: Ethics and Philosophy and E - History. I've explained the reasons in my Personal Statement, and my old teacher touched upon it in his reference, too.

However, last year in November and December I took the SAT's, instead of going back to College for 2 years. I did very well in these.

Do you think this will be looked at in my application more than my grades from 6 years ago as it is a more appropriate indicator of my abilities now?

I can't say I know much about SATs, but if you check the websites of the universities you're interested in applying to, they'll usually have a list of accepted qualifications and grades on the subject page in the brochure. If they accept SAT's, its likely that these would take precedence over your A Levels 6 years ago, although you'd still have to declare them on your UCAS application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending