The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 - 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jared1
What was the question and answer about the what the mmr vaccine treats?
is measles mumps and rubella ? Is that what you mean?
Reply 41
Uhm..does anyone know the last question and the marks and answer for it? the competition one? Thanks
Original post by jared1
What was the question and answer about the what the mmr vaccine treats?

Mumps and Rubella. TBH. That was the easiest question on the exam paper for me.
Original post by shibucool
Hey guys what did you put where it says "Suggest a stimulus"

I think I put "Pressure/Temperature"

What did you do?

A hammer lol. I've probably done it wrong. ARGGHH
Reply 44
Yes it is..:smile:
Reply 45
the last question, red squirrel are in decline because 1) they dont have a mutation gene to fight diseases . 2) They produce less young 6 , compared to grey squirrels 9 . 3) Their young only have a 14% survival rate compared to grey squirrels 41%.
:smile:
Reply 46
Original post by VotzAppenin
A hammer lol. I've probably done it wrong. ARGGHH

Would pain be correct?
Reply 47
Original post by bhamrambo
the last question, red squirrel are in decline because 1) they dont have a mutation gene to fight diseases . 2) They produce less young 6 , compared to grey squirrels 9 . 3) Their young only have a 14% survival rate compared to grey squirrels 41%.
:smile:

thanks!! do you know what the total mark was for that?
GCSE was easy
AS is hard a specific mark scheme and no tick boxes
:colone:
Reply 49
blah-it was 3 marks
sayab-btw theyve removed tick boxes and multiple choices from science gcses, AQA have as far as i know!
Reply 50
Original post by bhamrambo
blah-it was 3 marks
sayab-btw theyve removed tick boxes and multiple choices from science gcses, AQA have as far as i know!

@bhamrambo: thanks! I think i lost on mark on that..oopsy..
Reply 51
I thought the muscle stimulus question was electrical impulse because the diagram showed a neurone connected to it.
Reply 52
Original post by grammar12
it is all dependent on how many people gain a/a* on the existing grade boundaries, but considering most kids in my school left feeling demoralised and that they didnt know what most questions were, despite them going to a top grammar i should think they will be quite low around 40-50 a 50+ a*

In my school, so many people found the exam easy with all of us worrying over nothing, either we got good teachers (public school) or we're just too good :smile:

but yeah, im guessing the boundaries are going to be high, but the specification says 90% for A* - which is 54
80% for A - which is 48
and so on with 10% difference at 6 marks.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/sciencelab/AQA-BIOL-W-SP.PDF#B2.1.1 - Page 69 of the specification or 74 of the file.
Reply 53
Original post by osca_nerd

Original post by osca_nerd
omg, I absolutely loved it, you don't understand how easy it was for me. I supposed it's because I revised for a good few weeks. I was smiling throughout it and silently giggling to myself cause I was so happy I understood the exam! Some of the questions on it, I had answered as practice at home! i cant explain in words how gracious I am! :smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

do you know what the paper was out of?
Reply 54
Original post by blah12345
thanks!! do you know what the total mark was for that?

Reply 55
i think it was 60.
Reply 56
Original post by erahman

It was out of 60..:smile:
The one where it says talk about hormones and their control over the menstrual cycle...were you meant to talk about how the lining is built up, maintained and then breaks down or just about what the hormone do e.g. LH stimulates the eggs to be released?
Reply 58
I think what the hormone do. It said what do the FSH, LH and oestrogen control in the cycle...
Reply to Dannyboy1236: I believe you were meant to talk about what the main three hormones do in the cycle.

FSH - Causes the eggs to mature in the ovaries, stimulates the production of Ostrogen in the ovaries
Ostrogen - Stimulates the lining of the womb, inhibits the production of FSH and encourages the production of L hormone.
LH - Causes/Stimulates the release of mature eggs in the middle of the menstrual cycle.
If you mentioned some of the points above, not all, hopefully you will get the 3 marks or 4 if it was 4 marks.

What mark do you guys think you got? I think i got between 42 to 47.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending