The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 - 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
um..what was the question after the zorse thingy just wanna go over all the question

1)sexual reproduction
2)zorse thingy-adult cell cloning
3)Hormones
4)Neurones
5)Butterfly thingy
6)Squirrells
7)competition

did i miss anything else?
There was a question on the graph about the two vaccines.
There was also the last question, Evaluate on the two drugs - Statins and cholesterol blockers?

The butterfly was about the population of Blue-moon butterfly decreased when a virus or bacteria was introduced, but then the population increased, and the question wanted to know how this population increased.
I talked about mutation, becoming resistant, passing it's genes to the offspring which enabled it to survive and breed, something like that.
What mark do you think you got?
Reply 62
Original post by blah12345
um..what was the question after the zorse thingy just wanna go over all the question

1)sexual reproduction
2)zorse thingy-adult cell cloning
3)Hormones
4)Neurones
5)Butterfly thingy
6)Squirrells
7)competition

did i miss anything else?

Mmr vaccine compared to measles vaccine graph.
Reply 63
Original post by abdullaharapoglu
There was a question on the graph about the two vaccines.
There was also the last question, Evaluate on the two drugs - Statins and cholesterol blockers?

The butterfly was about the population of Blue-moon butterfly decreased when a virus or bacteria was introduced, but then the population increased, and the question wanted to know how this population increased.
I talked about mutation, becoming resistant, passing it's genes to the offspring which enabled it to survive and breed, something like that.
What mark do you think you got?

40-55.
Original post by bhamrambo

Original post by bhamrambo
I reckon the grade boundaries are going to be quite high, 52+ ish for A*. I personally found it quite easy and many people in my school did too.
What did you guys put for 'name an organ that produces hormones?'
I put pituitary gland but thats not a organ :frown:

oliur u ****!
Reply 65
how many questions were in the paper and what were the topics in them? does anyone have a unofficial mark scheme to this paper? btw would this paper benefit anyone taking the old spec biology unit 1 exam on jan 24th?
oh noooo I think I messed up on the comparing between the 2 vaccines question:/ I said that the measles vaccine was more effective when I think it was meant to be the MMR one.. what did anyone else put?!
also.. im predicted an A* in biology.. but i'm a bit worried about that as in the specimen paper, our teacher used ridiculously low grade boundaries
i.e I got 68% and was told that was an A* :s-smilie: bit skeptical about that but oh well...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
What did you guys put for the question about 'Why five ladybirds would have a less biomass than a bean tree' - something like that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by shibucool
What did you guys put for the question about 'Why five ladybirds would have a less biomass than a bean tree' - something like that.

Was that question worth 2 or 3 marks? I mentioned that the biomass is less because the mass of material is lost through waste materials, and that respiration released energy for heat and movement, which was eventually transferred to the surroundings - I wrote something along the lines of what i just stated.
Reply 69
Original post by abdullaharapoglu
Was that question worth 2 or 3 marks? I mentioned that the biomass is less because the mass of material is lost through waste materials, and that respiration released energy for heat and movement, which was eventually transferred to the surroundings - I wrote something along the lines of what i just stated.

I put something to do with having more weight for the bean plant and that the bean plant will get the most energy. I don't care if I got it wrong, it's only 2 marks.
Reply 70
What did you guys put for where it said about drugs tested on labs?
Reply 71
Im totally worried to death on this exam since its my first and i got moved to higher in the last minute
What do you think the grade boundaries are?
Original post by TheLalallama

Original post by TheLalallama
oh noooo I think I messed up on the comparing between the 2 vaccines question:/ I said that the measles vaccine was more effective when I think it was meant to be the MMR one.. what did anyone else put?!
also.. im predicted an A* in biology.. but i'm a bit worried about that as in the specimen paper, our teacher used ridiculously low grade boundaries
i.e I got 68% and was told that was an A* :s-smilie: bit skeptical about that but oh well...

Really?! Our teacher told us that you needed 90% A* 80% A 70% B 60% C etc but I think that's a lil harsh
?! As so many people just gotta B do you think they will be more like 68% for an A*
Reply 73
What did people put for the organ that secretes a gland?
I think they were probably looking for ovaries or pancreas, but I panicked and put 'pituitary gland in the brain'! Not sure whether I would have got the mark for that...
But overall, the paper wasn't too bad, most people in my school found it fairly easy, so I agree that the grade boundaries will probably be quite high. Maybe 85-90% for A*? Hope everyone does well! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
You guys all have chemistry unit 1's next week right? And physics
Original post by iCamification
Really?! Our teacher told us that you needed 90% A* 80% A 70% B 60% C etc but I think that's a lil harsh
?! As so many people just gotta B do you think they will be more like 68% for an A*

I honestly have no idea but I think the grade boundaries will be quite high as it seemed alot easier than the specimen paper.. but i dont know! :smile:
Reply 76
I thought i did quite well, for the organ one i put the brain because i wasnt sure is the pituary was classed as an organd and a gland or just a gland so i put brain. I think its will be 48 for A* 44 for A and 38 for B but thats just what i think.

EDIT: Also my Biology teacher said that results would be 8th of march? unless i missheard is could be the 18th.

Also the only reason i would get lower than a B would be because of my awful handwriting. Good luck everyone!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
can anyone please tell me if this paper is gunna be similar to mine on 24th? thanx
Reply 78
I think I did okay in this exam i answered everything but if i was to lose any marks it would probably be for not having enough detail in my responses.
My teacher also gave us low boundaries for the grades i think we had something like 65% for an A* of course i would love for this to be the boundaries but somehow i don't think it will be.
Reply 79
recent grade boundaries in the last specification have been really low, lets hope its the same this time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending