The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 - 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

is anyone else resitting?
Original post by Hattie0912
is anyone else resitting?

ME :biggrin: :biggrin:
What did you get? I got 79, I want an A* :frown:
Also does anyone know if there are exam style questions or more specimen papers online to do? I think the issue with the exam was not that I didnt have the knowledge, I did (so modest) what I didnt know was the technique. This is why I really want to practice my technique, but there are no past papers as its a new syllabus!
Original post by Hattie0912
What did you get? I got 79, I want an A* :frown:

i got 67 (c) .. but i want an A* aswell i did the same paper we actually did last time and i got 54/60 ... so im hoping with more revision in these holidays i should deffinately improve at LEAST to an A

there arent any past papers with the same format because of the new spec (damn tthe government ) ... but really its not really a disadvantage because everybody struggling to find some ... i only have the january 2012 paper and the specimin paper

also what revision materials are you using ?? i have a revision guide whioch is helping slightly but nothing else :frown: ( BBC bitesize isnt really in depth enough either :frown: )
I have the revision guide but I dont think its very good at helping you improve your 6 mark question skills etc, but I bought a coopy of my paper back and a mark scheme, which has helped me understand where I lost marks- its so picky! Its also helping me understand what you had to do for the horrific question 6 on statins and cholesterol blockers
Reply 166
has anyone got link for the aqa chemistry exam?????/
Original post by arvind22
has anyone got link for the aqa chemistry exam?????/

What the Jan 2012 one ?
Reply 168
That's the chemistry paper they gave us as a mock
Reply 169
Original post by techno836
i got 67 (c) .. but i want an A* aswell i did the same paper we actually did last time and i got 54/60 ... so im hoping with more revision in these holidays i should deffinately improve at LEAST to an A

there arent any past papers with the same format because of the new spec (damn tthe government ) ... but really its not really a disadvantage because everybody struggling to find some ... i only have the january 2012 paper and the specimin paper

also what revision materials are you using ?? i have a revision guide whioch is helping slightly but nothing else :frown: ( BBC bitesize isnt really in depth enough either :frown: )

When i sat it as a mock i got 63%, that's a C, that was no where near an A
Original post by azg545
When i sat it as a mock i got 63%, that's a C, that was no where near an A

i got 66% which i was really shocked with because i thought it went really well :frown: so i have re-sat n hoping to get at least an A :biggrin:
Reply 171
Original post by techno836
i got 66% which i was really shocked with because i thought it went really well :frown: so i have re-sat n hoping to get at least an A :biggrin:

We did another mock the week after and i got even worse , i go 58%, that's a D. So i started revising more and tommorow at 9:00 am I have the actual Chemistry GCSE. So i've neen revising almost the whole day and hopefully i'll come out with an A.
Reply 172
Original post by azg545
We did another mock the week after and i got even worse , i go 58%, that's a D. So i started revising more and tommorow at 9:00 am I have the actual Chemistry GCSE. So i've neen revising almost the whole day and hopefully i'll come out with an A.

Nha....., jumping from a D to A in a AQA PAPER ( their mark scheme is always dodgy), and doing the NEW SPEC for which there are no past papers- IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Mate aim for a C or B , so when you get the results you don't feel as bad if you flop.
Reply 173
Plus AQA tend to make their JUNE paper harder than the JAN paper.
Reply 174
Original post by cmfunk
Plus AQA tend to make their JUNE paper harder than the JAN paper.

We were told at school like a billion times that, the paper we were going to sit this year was going to be hard because of the new specification and especially for triple science and sadly i'm triple science, first they gave us the Jan paper as mock and told us it wasn't the Jan paper and then they're going on about exam technique and evaluation questions, graph question, timing our selves, doing a billion past papers etc. The teachers were starting to get on my nerves, thank God for study leave other wise the teachers would have driven us insane
Reply 175
Original post by cmfunk
Nha....., jumping from a D to A in a AQA PAPER ( their mark scheme is always dodgy), and doing the NEW SPEC for which there are no past papers- IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Mate aim for a C or B , so when you get the results you don't feel as bad if you flop.

I know what you mean, i'm expecting a C or a B, i was just trying to be optimistic for myself because since last year science has gotten harder, it was so much easier last year. But like you said their mark scheme is dodgy, if you say something correct and it's not on the mark scheme you don't get a mark, and the advice teachers are giving is useless, past papers only help you practice questions you find hard, the best you can do is revise from books and look at some AQA mark schemes from last year so you get a slight idea of what they want.
Reply 176
Original post by cmfunk

So i did my chemistry exam, it was much easier than i thought. I'm thinking like a high C or a B
I did the chemistry in January and got and A but I was hoping for an A* so I re sat in today's exam, I thought it was easier than January but it could have been better:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 178
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
I *think* I'm allowed to ask this.

This is purely out of curiosity since I sat my GCSEs in 2007 - I was wondering what topics the paper actually covered? It's been so long since I sat them I expect that the syllabus has changed quite a lot since then. When I sat my GCSEs there weren't any multiple choice questions, for example lol.

Hope the exam went well for you OP :smile:

For biology you cover the menstrual cycle, IVF, immunisation, pathogens, global warming, cholestrol, drugs and alcohol and the effect it has on you, adptation, competition, etc etc.
I THINK they have multiple choice questions for foundation (i do higher so i'm assuming) but for biology higher papers theres loads more longer questions. Like 3 marks, 4 marks, 5 marks.
Reply 179
Are all of you guys talking about the new specification?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending