The Student Room Group

Cambridge or Durham?

Before you start screaming 'Cambridge of course, are you insane?!' let me explain my situation a little.
I've been fortunate enough to recieve unconditional offers from both. At Cambridge I would study English, whereas at Durham I applied for a Combined Arts degree, which means I can study English, History, Philosophy and Maths in the first year and narrow down my subjects in the second year.
I got a really good feeling from both places, and after looking at both courses carefully I think I'd really enjoy both (if the Durham course works as its supposed to, that is; I worry about the modular approach being a little disjointed). The main advantage with Durham is that I could take subjects which I feel might be more useful in finding a job later on (like maths, which I also really enjoy, and which is otherwise very difficult to combine with english at university level) alongside more arts-based subjects. But then, of course, Cambridge is Cambridge. The name on your CV alone makes a huge impression.

So which one do you think I should choose and why?

Oh, also, in terms of jobs, I don't know what I want to do. I've been considering different types of writing, further study and law, but am really not sure yet.
Cambridge.
Original post by Meena373
Before you start screaming 'Cambridge of course, are you insane?!' let me explain my situation a little.
I've been fortunate enough to recieve unconditional offers from both. At Cambridge I would study English, whereas at Durham I applied for a Combined Arts degree, which means I can study English, History, Philosophy and Maths in the first year and narrow down my subjects in the second year.
I got a really good feeling from both places, and after looking at both courses carefully I think I'd really enjoy both (if the Durham course works as its supposed to, that is; I worry about the modular approach being a little disjointed). The main advantage with Durham is that I could take subjects which I feel might be more useful in finding a job later on (like maths, which I also really enjoy, and which is otherwise very difficult to combine with english at university level) alongside more arts-based subjects. But then, of course, Cambridge is Cambridge. The name on your CV alone makes a huge impression.

Oh, also, in terms of jobs, I don't know what I want to do. I've been considering different types of writing, further study and law, but am really not sure yet.

Jobs-wise, it won't matter much, Cambridge might give you a slight advantage just because it's Cambridge, but most graduate positions just want a 2.1 regardless of university and after you get past that filter, no one cares much where you come from. The maths module you might be able to take at Durham won't open any doors since it's just a module, so I'd say go for Cambridge, because, it's well Cambridge - if you really do think you cannot choose. Honestly, though, do the ol' tossing the coin trick - decide which is which, toss the coin and then see, as it falls, which choice you're secretly wishing it was. :smile: If it's neither, go with Cambridge, or the actual coin-toss outcome. :wink:
Reply 3
Cambridge
Flip a coin, heads is Cambridge, tails is also Cambridge.
Reply 5
Durham sounds more broad, but if you're going to be dropping courses there then you might as well just go for Cambridge. In the end its your actual degree that matters, and Cambridge makes it look more fancy.
Reply 6
Cambridge.
Reply 7
whereas at Durham I applied for a Combined Arts degree, which means I can study English, History, Philosophy and Maths in the first year and narrow down my subjects in the second year.

I would be concerned about doing so many different subjects at the same time..... do they all tie in together to make a cohesive program of study, or do you just end up doing a load of random modules/topics?

I would take straight English because I would be worried about how those subjects fit together........ plus the Cambridge factor. It is a no brainer IMO.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by logiadoevus
Jobs-wise, it won't matter much, Cambridge might give you a slight advantage just because it's Cambridge, but most graduate positions just want a 2.1 regardless of university and after you get past that filter, no one cares much where you come from. The maths module you might be able to take at Durham won't open any doors since it's just a module, so I'd say go for Cambridge, because, it's well Cambridge - if you really do think you cannot choose. Honestly, though, do the ol' tossing the coin trick - decide which is which, toss the coin and then see, as it falls, which choice you're secretly wishing it was. :smile: If it's neither, go with Cambridge, or the actual coin-toss outcome. :wink:

Bull****. Yes, most graduate positions won't look at you unless you have or are predicted a 2:1, but with tens of applicants for each place, which university you were at also makes a big difference to whether you get an interview/job after you've ticked the '2:1" box. Not that Durham isn't good, but nowhere (actually nowhere) will turn you down based on university alone if you come from Cambridge, unfortunately the same can't be said for Durham (though there are probably less than 20 institutions in the UK who might...)
Original post by thatguyoverthere
Bull****. Yes, most graduate positions won't look at you unless you have or are predicted a 2:1, but with tens of applicants for each place, which university you were at also makes a big difference to whether you get an interview/job after you've ticked the '2:1" box. Not that Durham isn't good, but nowhere (actually nowhere) will turn you down based on university alone if you come from Cambridge, unfortunately the same can't be said for Durham (though there are probably less than 20 institutions in the UK who might...)

Umm, for the most part, no - the 2.1, just like the other academic requirements (e.g. some places requiring a B in GCSE English), are automatic filters - no one assesses them, what is assessed might be things like job experience and what you've written in application form. The reason for this is very simple - coming from Cambridge might (and even there it's not guaranteed) probably mean you're very strong academically. However, unless you apply for a research position, it doesn't matter much to employers. Take a look at all the large graduate programmes requirements, and they'll tell you this as well, I'm not just saying this.
Umm, for the most part, no - the 2.1, just like the other academic requirements (e.g. some places requiring a B in GCSE English), are automatic filters - no one assesses them, what is assessed might be things like job experience and what you've written in application form. The reason for this is very simple - coming from Cambridge might (and even there it's not guaranteed) probably mean you're very strong academically. However, unless you apply for a research position, it doesn't matter much to employers. Take a look at all the large graduate programmes requirements, and they'll tell you this as well, I'm not just saying this.

Try actually applying. You think that the stuff these people put on their websites is how they actually recruit?

Of course, they have to say "anyone from any university can apply" but that doesn't mean that those people are all assessed equally. Try doing an internship or starting to work in a high-flying institution - the numbers of people from various universities speak for themselves.

This stuff about research positions is clearly rubbish - most people from Cambridge don't go into research positions but still tend to get the best-paying graduate jobs. Now, I'm not saying that the best paid job is the one that is automatically the most desirable, but there's a reason why the top banks, law firms, consultancies and corporate graduate programmes are full of Oxbridge graduates. It might just be down to prejudice rather than any legitimate reason, but the effect is still there.
Try actually applying. You think that the stuff these people put on their websites is how they actually recruit?

Of course, they have to say "anyone from any university can apply" but that doesn't mean that those people are all assessed equally. Try doing an internship or starting to work in a high-flying institution - the numbers of people from various universities speak for themselves.

This stuff about research positions is clearly rubbish - most people from Cambridge don't go into research positions but still tend to get the best-paying graduate jobs. Now, I'm not saying that the best paid job is the one that is automatically the most desirable, but there's a reason why the top banks, law firms, consultancies and corporate graduate programmes are full of Oxbridge graduates. It might just be down to prejudice rather than any legitimate reason, but the effect is still there.

Myself working at a Big Four firm, and having been to assessment centre in another, and having through my work talked to a lot of people that have worked or are working in top firms, I have to say you're incorrect. While it is probably true there is a higher proportion of top university (e.g. top 20-30) graduates than those from the bottom of the league tables, this would practically never make the difference between Cambridge and Durham - it would be completely pointless for recruiters to discriminate based on this because, as I already said, the fact that you're great at university does not mean you're going to be great at whatever job you're applying for.

First of all congratulations! :smile:

Now, since you say that you reckon you'd enjoy both courses, I would advise you to go for Cambridge.

I do multiple courses at my university for the first two years. Whilst it's interesting to study a variety of subjects, it's a shame that I can't focus all of my energies upon literature (my main course). It feels as if I don't get as much depth in the subjects as I would like.

Also, you could always read up on other subjects in your spare time. Remember, whilst a Cambridge course is intense, you do get shorter terms.

As you say, Cambridge is Cambridge. It can open many a door for you and is a great place to build up a network of contacts. The thing with Durham is that whilst it is a fantastic university, it can easily be lumped together with every other 'fantastic' English university (Warwick, Bristol, etc). Cambridge, on the other hand, truly stands out as being the best of the best in the world.

That's just my opinion anyway :smile:
Myself working at a Big Four firm, and having been to assessment centre in another, and having through my work talked to a lot of people that have worked or are working in top firms, I have to say you're incorrect. While it is probably true there is a higher proportion of top university (e.g. top 20-30) graduates than those from the bottom of the league tables, this would practically never make the difference between Cambridge and Durham - it would be completely pointless for recruiters to discriminate based on this because, as I already said, the fact that you're great at university does not mean you're going to be great at whatever job you're applying for.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. In my experience of assessment centres at bulge bracket banks and the big 3 consultancies, once you take away people with postgraduate qualifications and those from overseas, maybe 1/4 are from Oxbridge at the banks, and 1/3 (or more, up to 1/2) at the consultancies. If it were a choice between a very particularly exceptional course at a particular university (e.g. Engineering at Imperial, Economics at LSE) then it's a different story, but not in this case.

I'm not saying that it'll make a difference for the vast majority of jobs, but for those few ultra-ultra-competitive ones I think it does.
Reply 14
You have to also consider the contacts that you will make at university. At Cambridge, you will be studying with the best of the best, not just the people on your course, but you will be in a college with the very best people from every subject background. One must not underestimate the importance of networking, and this will be far superior at Cambridge, simply because most students there will go on to progress faster than most Durham students. Internationally as well, Cambridge is much more well known than Durham, and there is no chance that you will be subject to university snobbery. Think also about the education you will receive there, the supervision system will prepare you much better than lectures at Durham will, thinking on your feet, arguing your point. Remember, its not just about getting into a big 4 firm, its about what you do when you are there, and I think that Cambridge will prepare you for that much better. So absoloutly Cambridge.
Reply 15

Completely agree with 'thatguyoverthere' yes corporate business etc do say 2.1 requirement but funnily enough, when my brother was applying for a training contract at Pineset Masons Law firm, he got the placement with a 2.1 in law from Oxford whereas his friend didn't get a placement with a 1st in law from Nottingham.. so explain that?

Also, lets not beat around the bush, oxford and cambridge will always be admired institutions, despite all this 2.1 minimum any uni rubbish that business say, therefore it will always place your application ahead of the guy next to you

Quick Reply

Latest