Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ultimate England Euro 2012 Squad Prediction Thread

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rooney doesn't deserve to be there. We need to see how we'll do in the two friendlies, and if it's worth taking Rooney.

And I agree, no doubt Young, Rooney, Smalling, Jones, Ferdinand, Welbeck will all be there... :rolleyes:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    Rooney doesn't deserve to be there. We need to see how we'll do in the two friendlies, and if it's worth taking Rooney.

And I agree, no doubt Young, Rooney, Smalling, Jones, Ferdinand, Welbeck will all be there... :rolleyes:
    Of course Rooney should be there, you're just too biased to see that he is the best striker we have by miles.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Of course Rooney should be there, you're just too biased to see that he is the best striker we have by miles.
    Yeah, he's so good and loves his country so much that he lashed out at a player and got banned for the tournament.

Same old, good in qualifying, **** all in the actual tournament.

In fact, that's a valid point, he hasn't scored in the last 2 tournaments for England at all, why are we bothering with him?

Not biased at all, I know how good he is. But Bent/Defoe/Carroll/Sturridge/Crouch could do the goal scoring job.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic.

Mr Capello is hardly going to take Spearing, Carragher, Shelvey, Kelly and Flanagan. Unless he wants to get knocked out in the group stages!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike Phelan)
    Pathetic.

Mr Capello is hardly going to take Spearing, Carragher, Shelvey, Kelly and Flanagan. Unless he wants to get knocked out in the group stages!
    Did I say that? How about he take Richards, Sturridge, players that can actually perform for their country?

Nah, instead he'll take Smalling over Richards, Jones over Lescott, Ferdinand over Jagielka, Welbeck over Bent... And try get Scholes to rejoin again I suppose?

And you seriously think Cleverley is better than Spearing and Henderson? LOL... Two years time, Henderson will be massive, and Spearing never stops man.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Did I say that? How about he take Richards, Sturridge, players that can actually perform for their country?

And you seriously think Cleverley is better than Spearing and Henderson? LOL... Two years time, Henderson will be massive, and Spearing never stops man.
    You insinuated that there's favouritism towards United players when it comes to England squads.

Tommy's a cracking player. On the books since day one and his wages are probably half of what Henderson's getting!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike Phelan)
    You insinuated that there's favouritism towards United players when it comes to England squads.

Tommy's a cracking player. On the books since day one and his wages are probably half of what Henderson's getting!
    Well Rooney's wages (Which he held you at ransom over) are probably over half of our wage bill!

He's uncapped for England, doesn't play regularly and he's competing for a spot with Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Carrick and Parker, if he's there, I'll be very surprised!

Anyway, back on topic!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well Rooney's wages (Which he held you at ransom over) are probably over half of our wage bill!

He's uncapped for England, doesn't play regularly and he's competing for a spot with Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Carrick and Parker, if he's there, I'll be very surprised!

Anyway, back on topic!
    Don't argue with Mike Phelan

It is actually Mike Phelan
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think he geneuinely thinks it is :rofl2:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:

Nah, instead he'll take Smalling over Richards, Jones over Lescott, Ferdinand over Jagielka, Welbeck over Bent... And try get Scholes to rejoin again I suppose?

Do you actually think there should be any United players in the England squad?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hart, Foster, Bunn (he's been on fire for Blackburn)

Richards, Johnson, Phil Jageilkai, Terry, Smalling, Cahill, Lescott, Cole, Baines,

Gerrard, Wilshere, Downing (out of form but got to go,) Johnson, Walcott, Parker, Milner, Young

Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge

Hart

Johnson Cahill Terry Cole
    Parker
    Johnson Gerrard Wilshere Young
    Sturridge
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hart
    Johnson Cahill Lescott A. Cole
    Parker Barry
    Downing Gerrard Young
    Bent

Would be the best bet for the opening games I think.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hart
    Richards Cahill Ferdinand A. Cole
    Parker Wilshere
    Walcott Gerrard Young
    Rooney

I really think having Terry kicked from the England squad would benefit every single player there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hart
    Johnson Cahill Lescott A. Cole
    Parker Barry
    Downing Gerrard Young
    Bent

Same old dull underachieving overrated players.England should turn to youth for Euro 2012 youth

They never going to win it anyway so might as well use the tournament to develop future talent.Countries like the Netherlands and Germany showed with their squad selections that they have an eye for young talent by including younger players such as Gregory Van der Wiel, 22, and Mesut Ozil, 21 at the World Cup - effectively blooding them for future campaigns. England only picked two players that were under 24, Aaron Lennon and Joe Hart, both 23.

In refusing to take risks; sticking with the old guard rather than taking a punt on somebody new, he has given none of England’s young starlets the chance to replicate the sort of success achieved by the likes of Germany's Mesut Ozil who has been the breakthrough star of the tournament, notching up one goal and two assists in the four games he has played.Darren Bent is a typical over-hyped English striker.

I can see Welbeck going on merit. Ultimately there isn't an abundance of quality English strikers at the moment, and him and Sturridge have easily been 2 of the best English strikers in the country this season. Barring injuries, I'd place a good bet that the strikers will be Rooney, Bent, Welbeck and Sturridge.

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart
    David Stockdale
    Kieran Westwood

Defenders

Leighton Baines
    Ashley Cole*
    Phil Jones
    Chris Smalling
    Gary Cahill
    Micah Richards
    Kyle Walker

Midfielders

Ashley Young
    Alex Chamblain or Theo Walcott
    Adam Johnson
    Aaron Lennon
    Jack Wilshire
    Tom Cleverley
    James Milner
    Steven Gerrard*
    Scott Parker*

Forwards

Wayne Rooney
    Darren Bent*
    Daniel Sturridge
    Danny Welbeck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its arry so he'll have defoe and crouch up front. Englands going out at the group stage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lets get a few ground rules sorted before any further teams are posted.
    First - Richards is miles better than Glenn Johnson and should be first choice right back. Backed up by Kyle Walker.
    Second - Gareth Barry and Stewart Downing should not be going anywhere near the plane to the Euros. No where near good enough, on season form or any other merit.
    Third - Even as a joke, Heskey shouldn't be in the squad, we embarress ourselves enough at major tournaments enough without that clown.

...Thats it for now. I will be back to edit this. Its ongoing.
    ps. this list isnt in order of priority. But if it was. No Gareth Barry is number 1 rule.
    If you wish you challenge these ground rules for the new england manager or add to them please quote me and ill be back.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So who would go in your 23 man squad and starting 11?

If we could keep this as a kind of squad news thread in the coming months that's be good too?

Here's a list for some ideas. Some bizarre and unrealistic names on that list, but go for it. The (...) represent a highly unlikely and unrealistic idea. )

GK:
    Joe Hart
    Robert Green
    Scott Carson
    David Stockdale
    David James

DEF
    Glen Johnson
    Micah Richards
    Chris Smalling
    Kyle Walker
    Martin Kelly
    John Terry
    Ledley King
    Jamie Carragher (...)
    Rio Ferdinand
    Joleon Lescott
    Phil Jageilka
    Gary Cahill
    Phil Jones
    Michael Dawson
    Leighton Baines
    Ashley Cole
    Wayne Bridge
    Stephen Warnock

MID:
    Steven Gerrard
    Frank Lampard
    Gareth Barry
    Scott Parker
    Michael Carrick
    Owen Hargreaves (...)
    James Milner
    Jordan Henderson
    Jack Rodwell
    Jack Wilshire
    Tom Cleverley
    Joe Cole
    Stewart Downing
    Ashley Young
    Adam Johnson
    Aaron Lennon
    Shaun Wright-Phillips (...)
    Theo Walcott
    David Beckham (...)
    Matt Jarvis

FWD:
    Wayne Rooney
    Darren Bent
    Jermain Defoe
    Peter Crouch
    Andy Carroll
    Daniel Sturridge
    Danny Welbeck
    Bobby Zamora
    Michael Owen (... )
    Gabriel Abonglahor
    Carlton Cole (Please no)
    Emile Heskey (!!)

Some odd names there... But what would your realistic team be, and your dream one? (Won't happen)
    If it were possible to get all those players to line up in front of our defending goal, we might just have a chance!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah124)
    Same old dull underachieving overrated players.England should turn to youth for Euro 2012 youth

They never going to win it anyway so might as well use the tournament to develop future talent.Countries like the Netherlands and Germany showed with their squad selections that they have an eye for young talent by including younger players such as Gregory Van der Wiel, 22, and Mesut Ozil, 21 at the World Cup - effectively blooding them for future campaigns. England only picked two players that were under 24, Aaron Lennon and Joe Hart, both 23.

In refusing to take risks; sticking with the old guard rather than taking a punt on somebody new, he has given none of England’s young starlets the chance to replicate the sort of success achieved by the likes of Germany's Mesut Ozil who has been the breakthrough star of the tournament, notching up one goal and two assists in the four games he has played.Darren Bent is a typical over-hyped English striker.

I can see Welbeck going on merit. Ultimately there isn't an abundance of quality English strikers at the moment, and him and Sturridge have easily been 2 of the best English strikers in the country this season. Barring injuries, I'd place a good bet that the strikers will be Rooney, Bent, Welbeck and Sturridge.
    We should use our best available team for the Euros. Can use qualifying matches and should leave the development of players to their respective clubs. How much do you actually think a player will learn/develop in a tournament where the maximum number of games is 7 and you spend maybe a month together? Only thing they will really gain is experience but they're not going to become dramatically better players over one tournament.

The Netherlands and Germany have been able to turn to youth because their young players are at a high very standard. Ozil played regularly for his old club and now plays regularly for Real Madrid therefore it's fine for him to start for Germany. If we have likewise players, then makes sense otherwise it's stupid and we'll be destroyed at the tournament. What benefit is there from being knocked out in the group stages?

England's problem is the past 3 or 4 managers have tried to accomodate what they think are the best players. Square pegs into round holes tbfh.

Should pick a couple of the best players who are guaranteed to start and then select a formation which will bring the best out of them and then slot in the other players to maximise that formation. Every tournament which stick another decent player out on the left, ruin any balance in the side and usually we're trying to accomodate Gerrard/Lampard. Do we need to get rid of the old guard? No. Do we need to re-think how we set up? Yes, for the past decade, only one of the two should have been playing.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hart Johnson Cahill Lescott A. Cole Parker Barry Downing Gerrard Young Bent
    Gob smacked.

Even I'd struggle to get England eliminated from the Group stages quicker.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see Wilshere being fit for it...

Hart
    Richards - Dawson - Terry – Cole
    Parker – Carrick/Milner
    Sturridge – Gerrard – Young
    Rooney

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.