The Student Room Group

Withdrawal of 4 year coures?

So current dental applicants who applied for the 4 year dentistry course at Barts and The London received an email today stating that the 4 year BDS programme will no longer be running for 2012 entry and that they will be considered for the 5 year course instead.

Apparently there is an EU legislation (from 2005 which no one noticed before) which states that dental programmes should be 5 years long minimum. I wonder what will happen to the remaining 5 GEP dental schools.

Do you think the same thing will happen for medicine? Has anyone heard about this for medicine too? x
Reply 1
Original post by *Ria-L*

Do you think the same thing will happen for medicine? Has anyone heard about this for medicine too? x

Yeah, I read an article about it in one of the student papers a few days ago, though I can't find a link atm. The story basically being the same, that the EU have taken a break from faffing around with fire extinguishers and ladder safety regulations and have decided to have a go at the GEPs for not being five years long. The medical schools have responded by saying that the FY1 year should count as the fifth year since it's provisional and all iirc. I'm not sure exactly where all of this is heading, but the EU has a lot more to be worrying about at the moment (like the collapse of the Euro), so I don't forsee GEPs being discontinued anytime soon. There's not much info available however so I may be totally mistaken.

I also heard about the 4 yr dental course at BL being scrapped today (via Facebook - I didn't receive the email). I can't help thinking this might be a scam/hoax...there would have been much more of a big deal made, surely the SMD can't just scrap its degrees willy nilly in the middle of the admissions cycle without offering any explanation whatsoever :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Yeah, I read an article about it in one of the student papers a few days ago, though I can't find a link atm. The story basically being the same, that the EU have taken a break from faffing around with fire extinguishers and ladder safety regulations and have decided to have a go at the GEPs for not being five years long. The medical schools have responded by saying that the FY1 year should count as the fifth year since it's provisional and all iirc. I'm not sure exactly where all of this is heading, but the EU has a lot more to be worrying about at the moment (like the collapse of the Euro), so I don't forsee GEPs being discontinued anytime soon. There's not much info available however so I may be totally mistaken.

I also heard about the 4 yr dental course at BL being scrapped today (via Facebook - I didn't receive the email). I can't help thinking this might be a scam/hoax...there would have been much more of a big deal made, surely the SMD can't just scrap its degrees willy nilly in the middle of the admissions cycle without offering any explanation whatsoever :s-smilie:

There's a lot of discussion on it from page 16 onwards if you're interested, it seems genuine. :/
Reply 3
Original post by *Ria-L*
There's a lot of discussion on it from page 16 onwards if you're interested, it seems genuine. :/

Page 16 of what?
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Page 16 of what?

Original post by *Ria-L*

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1628132

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending