The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

First year accomodation choices for Aberdeen Uni

Hi guys! i know aberdeen have started handing out offers, i was lucky enough to recieve an unconditonal, and as its my first choice im now looking into the halls of residence. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or if your in the same position as me, then what ones were you considering ? i was looking into adam smith and the other halls of that price, but carnegie court looks really nice, so i dont know whether it would be worth it too pay that little bit extra. So stuck + confused! any help would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I'm in New Carnegie Court at the moment, it's really nice and I'm glad I'm paying the extra money for it now that I've seen some of the other blocks and heard some horror stories. I have a friend in Adam Smith and her flat is really good for what she's paying for it, the only reason I didn't want to stay there personally was that I really wanted to have a flat rather than a room in a corridor. I've not seen inside South House or North Court, but apparently the bedrooms are nice, the only problem is a lack of storage space and fridge/freezer space in the kitchen according to my friends :smile:
If you'd like to stay in catered halls, I've seen a room in Crombie and it was nice - it had an en-suite and it was a good size and everything, although there is nowhere to cook there, and they don't serve dinner on a Sunday or something, only brunch, and you can't keep food in the 'kitchen' because it gets stolen, but there's plenty room in the bedroom for keeping non-perishable food, and my friend has a mini-fridge/freezer in her room to keep food in, so there is always that option :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by HeatherHatter
I'm in New Carnegie Court at the moment, it's really nice and I'm glad I'm paying the extra money for it now that I've seen some of the other blocks and heard some horror stories. I have a friend in Adam Smith and her flat is really good for what she's paying for it, the only reason I didn't want to stay there personally was that I really wanted to have a flat rather than a room in a corridor. I've not seen inside South House or North Court, but apparently the bedrooms are nice, the only problem is a lack of storage space and fridge/freezer space in the kitchen according to my friends :smile:
If you'd like to stay in catered halls, I've seen a room in Crombie and it was nice - it had an en-suite and it was a good size and everything, although there is nowhere to cook there, and they don't serve dinner on a Sunday or something, only brunch, and you can't keep food in the 'kitchen' because it gets stolen, but there's plenty room in the bedroom for keeping non-perishable food, and my friend has a mini-fridge/freezer in her room to keep food in, so there is always that option :smile:

thanks for getting back to me!, and well i think im going to try get into New Carnegie Court - if my dad agrees to pay it haha. If that fails then it will be like Adam Smith or the other one thats mixed sex but the same price. I dont think i'll go for catered cause im a really fussy eater so it would probably be best me buying my own food. Do you know if its easy to get a job there ? or is that a stupid question haha
Original post by kirsti
thanks for getting back to me!, and well i think im going to try get into New Carnegie Court - if my dad agrees to pay it haha. If that fails then it will be like Adam Smith or the other one thats mixed sex but the same price. I dont think i'll go for catered cause im a really fussy eater so it would probably be best me buying my own food. Do you know if its easy to get a job there ? or is that a stupid question haha

It depends on how fussy you are with where you work I think :tongue:

I didn't really look much before Christmas because I didn't want to work over the holidays, but I do have a job as a mystery shopper (it doesn't pay much and it's ad-hoc work but it means I can work wherever I like, whenever I like and I can get another job on the side... so long as it's not in the companies I mystery shop D:smile:

If you don't mind working weekends, then you would probably be able to find something, I know people who have, and I know people who have struggled. It depends on your luck it seems :L
Reply 4
Original post by HeatherHatter

Hey Heather :smile: I feel I must stick up for Crombie as a current resident. Everyone's really lovely and friendly on the whole and there's a wonderful community atmosphere (esp in the TV Room) I have met some great friends there and the food is not too bad (3 week rotational menu). Sunday evening meals are not a problem as right opposite there's a Tesco and also I find I'm not too hungry after Brunch anyway-most people just have pizzas but I get microwave meals and they are not too bad :smile:. The Christmas Meal is something really special indeed when they do it! :smile: My food is never stolen and no one's had their's stolen if you put labels on your food (same as in flats). The mini fridges are very expensive at £60 and so only advise that if you enjoy alcohol. I have draws full of chocolates and sweets and other things that don't go off- any questions-just ask. Oh and there's a resident's only Computer Room and a Games Room with pool and table football and table tennis- and loads of games and activities are organised (I've never been bored at all-3rd year :smile: ).

Good Luck
Original post by JAZZA007
My food is never stolen and no one's had their's stolen if you put labels on your food (same as in flats). The mini fridges are very expensive at £60 and so only advise that if you enjoy alcohol.

My friend said that in her kitchen, nobody keeps any food because food went missing in the first few weeks. But then she also said that anybody can just walk into the kitchen, which I'm sure isn't true because there's a lock on the door leading to the bedrooms. Anyway, when I've been in her kitchen there has never been any food. I don't know if that's just her kitchen or if it's in the whole building, that's just what I have seen of the building. I didn't even know Crombie had kitchens until I went into hers.

She brought her own mini fridge from home, as her parents were no longer using it, I think it's bigger than the ones the universities offer so she can store all her food (frozen and chilled) in it :smile:

I've never stayed there, that's just what I've heard from people :smile: They love the location of it, not great fans of the food, but the rooms are good. I was just trying to be helpful :smile:
I'm in New Carnegie and I can safely say that unless you can actually afford it, it's not worth the money you pay each week. Yes, it's nice to have your own bathroom and the beds are devilishly comfy but is it really worth all my loan, grant and the best part of my measly overdraft leaving me with under £200 for the entire semester? Probably not.

I'd opt for South House. Cracking parties.

Hector Boece is called the Ghetto but seems fun.
Reply 7
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I'd opt for South House. Cracking parties.

For some reason i thought South House and North Court were reserved for older students ? , or is it filled with all first year undergraduates ?
Original post by kirsti
For some reason i thought South House and North Court were reserved for older students ? , or is it filled with all first year undergraduates ?

North Court was this year, South House is undergraduate though :smile:.
Reply 9
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
North Court was this year, South House is undergraduate though :smile:.

aw i see! well i think im going up for a tour round the campus at some point so that will hopefully give me a better idea of what i want :smile:
Original post by kirsti
aw i see! well i think im going up for a tour round the campus at some point so that will hopefully give me a better idea of what i want :smile:

You should, it's different to how you imagine it.

It might be difficult to have a look round Hillhead though whilst it's term time.
Reply 11
I used to live in Esslemont House (which is the same as Hector Boece = the Ghetto, just looking less old), I loved it there because I had awesome flatmates. Yes it is not very big, one fridge for 6 people is a little tight, the kitchen has 4 chairs only... But it's really not bad (the people you're living with make the flat, not the flat itself IMO).
I'd say that the best quality/price flat is North Court, it looks nicer than most other halls, bigger rooms, a lot less expensive than New Carnegie Court (you do get your own private bathroom in New Carnegie , but is it really worth the cost? I'm not convinced...)

Now for the self-catered*, I'd say go for the ones on campus (Crombie/Johnston), the ones at Hillhead (Adam Smith, Wavel House, etc.) don't look great (I've only been once or twice for parties, so don't remember much...) it looks all the same inside, I got lost so many times in just one evening, I couldn't find the way out :/

I know Johnston quite well as my boyfriend was staying there, there are shower rooms in the corridors (there's 2 on each floor) and in some blocks there's only a bath, no shower... But you can easily go to another block as there are SOME showers in other blocks (you've got to travel through the buildings with your towel and shower kit though...). I've heard that Crombie is better, but I haven't actualy been in it.

I hope that helped a little, just pointing out a few facts about the different accommodations :smile:

Edit: I forgot to mention, where I was staying (Esslemont), for some reason the heater would stop from midnight to 6 am in the whole building, I don't know if that happens in all the accommodations or only the cheap ones, but it was sometimes quite cold at night...

Edit again: *When I wrote 'Now for the self-catered, I'd say go for the ones on campus (Crombie/Johnston)'I meant 'Now for the catered, I'd say go for the ones on campus (Crombie/Johnston)' (sorry about that, I wasn't thinking..)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nine6
Edit: I forgot to mention, where I was staying (Esslemont), for some reason the heater would stop from midnight to 6 am in the whole building, I don't know if that happens in all the accommodations or only the cheap ones, but it was sometimes quite cold at night...

In NCC, you control your own heating, which I suppose is a bonus apart from the fact that it keeps turning itself off after a while so you always wake up with a cold bedroom :frown: (the switch for the radiator is in touching distance of the bed though so you can switch it on without getting up though, which is a bonus and it heats up pretty quick :smile: )
Reply 13
Original post by Nine6
I used to live in Esslemont House (which is the same as Hector Boece = the Ghetto, just looking less old), I loved it there because I had awesome flatmates. Yes it is not very big, one fridge for 6 people is a little tight, the kitchen has 4 chairs only... But it's really not bad (the people you're living with make the flat, not the flat itself IMO).
I'd say that the best quality/price flat is North Court, it looks nicer than most other halls, bigger rooms, a lot less expensive than New Carnegie Court (you do get your own private bathroom in New Carnegie , but is it really worth the cost? I'm not convinced...)

Now for the self-catered, I'd say go for the ones on campus (Crombie/Johnston), the ones at Hillhead (Adam Smith, Wavel House, etc.) don't look great (I've only been once or twice for parties, so don't remember much...) it looks all the same inside, I got lost so many times in just one evening, I couldn't find the way out :/

I know Johnston quite well as my boyfriend was staying there, there are shower rooms in the corridors (there's 2 on each floor) and in some blocks there's only a bath, no shower... But you can easily go to another block as there are SOME showers in other blocks (you've got to travel through the buildings with your towel and shower kit though...). I've heard that Crombie is better, but I haven't actualy been in it.

I hope that helped a little, just pointing out a few facts about the different accommodations :smile:

thanks for all of that! i think your totally right that it is your flatmates that makes the flat which is why, fingers crossed, i get people who roughly are the same kind of people as me! Im going to aberdeen tomorrow for a wee cheeky tour so i'll be able to see first hand what accomodation i like best. i hadnt really looked deep into north court but i'll go check it out the now! aw i hope i get nice roomates who i get along with. thanks for taking the time to write all that out! much appreciated
Reply 14
Original post by kirsti
thanks for all of that! i think your totally right that it is your flatmates that makes the flat which is why, fingers crossed, i get people who roughly are the same kind of people as me! Im going to aberdeen tomorrow for a wee cheeky tour so i'll be able to see first hand what accomodation i like best. i hadnt really looked deep into north court but i'll go check it out the now! aw i hope i get nice roomates who i get along with. thanks for taking the time to write all that out! much appreciated

Yeah you'll have a better idea when you see the actual accommodations. Let us know how your wee tour went :smile:

Oh, just a precision: in my post above I wrote 'Now for the SELF-CATERED, I'd say go for the ones on campus (Crombie/Johnston) ', I meant the CATERED, those accommodations are CATERED (Crombie/Johnston, Wavel House, Adam Smith, etc.).
The accommodations I'm talking about at the beginning of the post ARE the self-catered ones (Esslemont, North Court, New Carnegie, etc.) (sorry about that :/)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Nine6
Yeah you'll have a better idea when you see the actual accommodations. Let us know how your wee tour went :smile:

Oh, just a precision: in my post above I wrote 'Now for the SELF-CATERED, I'd say go for the ones on campus (Crombie/Johnston) ', I meant the CATERED, those accommodations are CATERED (Crombie/Johnston, Wavel House, Adam Smith, etc.).
The accommodations I'm talking about at the beginning of the post ARE the self-catered ones (Esslemont, North Court, New Carnegie, etc.) (sorry about that :/)

Adam Smith isn't catered.
Reply 16
Original post by kristol90
Adam Smith isn't catered.

Oh right, I just looked at the accommodation website and apparently Wavell and Fyfe are not catered either. They used to be catered when I was staying at Hillhead 3 years ago.. It means that the only catered accommodations are on campus (Crombie/Johnston).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
So I got a conditional offer (woo!) and presumably have been accepted to the Summer School at Aberdeen since that is the condition. Now, me being me, I read through the horror stories here about the people who applied for accommodation late for whatever reason and got stuck in a flat with postgrads, etc.

Then I realised. My offer is conditional and you don't get the results from the Summer School until the 26th August, at which point I assume (hopefully wrongly) that the offer becomes unconditional and my accommodation application is finally processed.

Is there anyone who has done the Summer School or knows someone who has done it who can tell me that I'm not going to be one of the few that end up being processed at the beginning of September and get the worst room possible?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Nine6

Original post by Nine6
Oh right, I just looked at the accommodation website and apparently Wavell and Fyfe are not catered either. They used to be catered when I was staying at Hillhead 3 years ago.. It means that the only catered accommodations are on campus (Crombie/Johnston).

hello! well my tour was fab! i fell in love with the campus and i adored the oldest part of the uni! , i also loved the wee cobblestone paths etc ha.

Yeah Adam Smith, Fyfe + Wavell turned to self-catered in 2010 , which is good as all the stuff is pretty much new. I got to see Crombie and Adam Smith but not the others as its term time. I'll probs be staying in Adam Smith cause my dad decided New Carnegie is too expensive! ha, but yeah, Adam Smith was alright, i didnt realise the toilets etc were cleaned every morning which has completely relaxed me about sharing it with other people! it looked really clean when i was there. also the rooms are a decent size, the only thing i didnt like was the fact it was sorta dormitary (dont know how to spell it) style. cause the corridor looks really cold with it being bricked etc, but yeah im totally buzzing about going to aberdeen and its most definetly my first choice!! now counting down the days till the 15th of September! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending