The Student Room Group

The 2012 US Primaries thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by Roger Mexico
If a Republic candidate becomes president, then truly there is no good left in man.

That's an ignorant statement to make without justification. What exactly is wrong with the current republican candidates?
Original post by .eXe
That's an ignorant statement to make without justification. What exactly is wrong with the current republican candidates?

I can't imagine there was enough information in my post for you accurately deduce that I was being ignorant, but if you really managed to do so then well done. I'll admit it was pretty blunt and supported by no evidence though, so I'll go into some more detail.

What I mean, is that none of the republic candidates seem fit to run any country, let alone one of the most powerful countries in the world. Right off the bat you've got Mitt Romney, a man with a personal fortune of $200 million, who has time and time again proved himself to be completely out of touch with the needs of the average American person. This is a man who has never known anything but wealth, has previously stated that ""[He's] not concerned about the very poor." and wants to lead a country with a homeless population numbering in the millions.

Then you've got Newt Gingrich. He is, in a nutshell, a puppet for the Koch brothers, two guys who want nothing more than to pay less taxes and make more money.

Rick Santorum is the final Republican candidate with any hopes of getting elected, and I can't imagine anyone is unaware of how complete insane this man is. He's just... wow. He's crazy.

Furthermore, they're all Christians. I don't want to turn this into a Religion vs Atheism debate, but I think anyone with an ounce of independent thought and reason is aware of how mind-numbingly redundant the whole idea is.
Reply 722
I can't imagine there was enough information in my post for you accurately deduce that I was being ignorant, but if you really managed to do so then well done. I'll admit it was pretty blunt and supported by no evidence though, so I'll go into some more detail.

What I mean, is that none of the republic candidates seem fit to run any country, let alone one of the most powerful countries in the world. Right off the bat you've got Mitt Romney, a man with a personal fortune of $200 million, who has time and time again proved himself to be completely out of touch with the needs of the average American person. This is a man who has never known anything but wealth, has previously stated that ""[He's] not concerned about the very poor." and wants to lead a country with a homeless population numbering in the millions.

Then you've got Newt Gingrich. He is, in a nutshell, a puppet for the Koch brothers, two guys who want nothing more than to pay less taxes and make more money.

Rick Santorum is the final Republican candidate with any hopes of getting elected, and I can't imagine anyone is unaware of how complete insane this man is. He's just... wow. He's crazy.

Furthermore, they're all Christians. I don't want to turn this into a Religion vs Atheism debate, but I think anyone with an ounce of independent thought and reason is aware of how mind-numbingly redundant the whole idea is.

Right well thanks for your post but you've ignored a very capable candidate from your list. The interesting thing is, you posted exactly what I wanted you to post. I agree with all your points about the other candidates, but you ignored the candidate I am supporting, who I believe would make a great US president, one who would serve the best interests of the people, rather than the government or his own pockets.

I was speaking about Ron Paul.

Edit: Also, yes they are all Christian but Ron Paul alone has not spoken out against any homosexuals, etc (which the others have). RP realizes that even though he is Christian, that doesnt mean he can tell others what to do as a President. As a strong advocate of civil liberties and freedoms, he does not let his Christian faith dictate his government policies. I am Christian myself.
(edited 12 years ago)

So is Obama, Hilary Clinton and Joe Biden, and so were FDR, John F Kennedy, Robert F Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and practically every other significant liberal figure in recent American history.

You may think you're so smart with your "lol Christians = stupid, atheists = clever" attitude, but I'd pick Christian leaders like Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill and Nelson Mandela over Atheists like Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong and Ed Miliband anyday.
Original post by Super Cicero
So is Obama, Hilary Clinton and Joe Biden, and so were FDR, John F Kennedy, Robert F Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and practically every other significant liberal figure in recent American history.

You may think you're so smart with your "lol Christians = stupid, atheists = clever" attitude, but I'd pick Christian leaders like Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill and Nelson Mandela over Atheists like Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong and Ed Miliband anyday.

Not entirely sure "lol Christians = stupid, atheists = clever" is something I actually said, but I appreciate the efforts you went to to treat that as a direct quote. But yes, I probably should have said 'extremist Christians' rather than just 'Christians'. Not all Christians are inherently stupid, and that's not at all what I wished to imply. I'm deeply sorry if that's what you chose to infer, but I can't take responsibility for that.

I resent your not-so-subtle implication that anyone who speaks out against Christianity is stupid though, and I'd appreciate it if you apologised for that. But I'm going to avoid saying anything else on the topic of religion now, to prevent this thread from getting derailed into a frivolous "HURR RELIJUN IS DUMB" "DURR NO EVOLUSHUN IS DUMB" debate.
Original post by .eXe
Right well thanks for your post but you've ignored a very capable candidate from your list. The interesting thing is, you posted exactly what I wanted you to post. I agree with all your points about the other candidates, but you ignored the candidate I am supporting, who I believe would make a great US president, one who would serve the best interests of the people, rather than the government or his own pockets.

I was speaking about Ron Paul.

Edit: Also, yes they are all Christian but Ron Paul alone has not spoken out against any homosexuals, etc (which the others have). RP realizes that even though he is Christian, that doesnt mean he can tell others what to do as a President. As a strong advocate of civil liberties and freedoms, he does not let his Christian faith dictate his government policies. I am Christian myself.

No, I completely agree with you. I think Ron Paul is easily the best Presidential candidate America have got, but honestly, at this stage in proceedings I really don't see him winning. If he does, I'll be over the ****ing moon, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Reply 726
No, I completely agree with you. I think Ron Paul is easily the best Presidential candidate America have got, but honestly, at this stage in proceedings I really don't see him winning. If he does, I'll be over the ****ing moon, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Yeah it's sad to see but I agree with you there, RP doesn't have a great chance to win. All I can hope is Romney wins but still keep RP round because they do seem to be quite good friends and they have never attacked each other directly in debates and otherwise, which is nice to see.
Original post by .eXe

I think Hunstman was the best from the lot
Original post by .eXe
Yeah it's sad to see but I agree with you there, RP doesn't have a great chance to win. All I can hope is Romney wins but still keep RP round because they do seem to be quite good friends and they have never attacked each other directly in debates and otherwise, which is nice to see.

Paul has zero chance of winning...
Yeah all this negative ads..I dunno, I dont really like it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending