The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography Unit 2 24th Jan

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

My friend sat this exam today and I haven't had a chance to catch up with him. Generally, how did it go? :smile:
Aswell, on the bar chart, I was looking at it for a while, wondering what was wrong, then i thought ahh that bar is pretty fat...i used up too much space widthways with the bar so i was redrawing it last minute...im not too sure my shading was very good....i kinda scribbled and put random dots on it:/
Reply 82
Original post by popnit
My handwriting got progressively worse throughout the paper because I was running out of time!

Same haha! I was just finishing the 3rd last question when they said 5 mins left so I'm pretty sure everything after that will be unreadable :s-smilie:

Halfway through question 1 I actually turned to the front of the paper to check they'd given me the right one, was so confused! :eek:
Reply 83
Original post by rosiesaurus
Aswell, on the bar chart, I was looking at it for a while, wondering what was wrong, then i thought ahh that bar is pretty fat...i used up too much space widthways with the bar so i was redrawing it last minute...im not too sure my shading was very good....i kinda scribbled and put random dots on it:/

I did that too, joined it all up and then realised it was wrong, coulda used that time finishing the last 2 questions...
Reply 84
Original post by AspiringGenius
Hi there,

My friend sat this exam today and I haven't had a chance to catch up with him. Generally, how did it go? :smile:

Harder than most geography exams but not impossible :P
Anyone got an unofficial markscheme?
Reply 86
im pretty sure it was 36% for that Q as all the 4 bars needed to add up to 100% overall and 36% meant they did
Reply 87
:mad:
Original post by Lottie18
Google earth - satalite imaging! :smile:

Geography information system. Anything computer/technology based that you can use in geography.
Reply 88
My teacher went through the paper with us today and he said it couldn't have been anything else but up to 71% (for the bar graph question)... Even though both those who put 36% and 71% thought it would be 36%... I put 71% but I'm still not sure!
Reply 89
My teacher said it was 71%...
I don't see how it can be 36% due to you not getting information of what the other bars represent so why would anyone have the inclination to put 36%? Plus the graph went up to 75%, just can't see them trying to trick people like that.
Reply 91
The 4 bars must all add up to 100% and by having 70% that is impossible only 36 % makes the 4 bars add up to 100% although I must admit it was a very poor question
Reply 92
The other three graphs 64% so that's my inclination of why I put 36% jfyi
Original post by SpecialApple
You'll be fiiiiiine :biggrin:

Nah, was my first time sitting it and I've only been taught half the AS xD so yeah, resit :P
Reply 94
The graphs don't have to add up to 100%, it's percentage of the total poulation for each area, so what they add up to is totally irrelevant.
Reply 95
but could 70% of the area realistically claiming benefits? was it city center or inner-city, i've forgotten :P
Reply 96
Original post by brokenspud
but could 70% of the area realistically claiming benefits? was it city center or inner-city, i've forgotten :P

I thought that too! It was inner-city of Merseyside. I don't know if that is right though although I did put 71%. I was happy it was Merseyside as I live there :smile:
Reply 97
I discussed that questions with my whole geography department and they came to the conclusion that it must have been 71% and not 36%. Compound bar graphs do not necessarily have to add up to 100% and although it sounds ridiculous that 71% of Merseyside's population was on benefits that seems the only logical answer. By putting 36% your basically cancelling out the previous figures from the two other categories and therefore not fully utilizing all the data given. But I must agree it was a poorly worded question.
Reply 98
I think they should allow 36 and 71 due to the poor wording, or maybe just discount all the marks for it.
Reply 99
i put 36% due to the jump between the inner city and suburbs would have then been a huge jump compared to the other 3 given. I think it was a lil unfair that there was the 8 mark question on provisions when we were told it was just on reading data and feild work. i found it ok but i no alot of people who struggled

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending