The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Pure Core 1 MPC1 Jan 13th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Since Jan 2011 was only 74% for an A, and this was far far harder than that paper (since I found Jan 2011 really easy.)

Then the only hope is that grade boundaries could even be below 70% for an A . Because this paper really was crazy.
Reply 21
Yeah I think the best now is to beg my teacher to tell me the answers somewhere next week.
>.< But anyway I hope everyone did allright.
Did people get 11.5 or 92/8 for 1.c?
Reply 23
Now that I think about it, I think I got 92/892/8, and I simply couldn't be bothered to try and work it out. :P

- Dan
Reply 24
I am not sure. I think it was 92 over something. Not sure if it was 8 or 11. >.<
I got 11.5 for 1.c
8 for integral, 8-2 = 6 for part b
for the area i got -12 < x < 8
then put the next bit wrong because it should of been 5.5 < x < 8 i put equals to, only one mark though
I forgot to put dy/dx=0 for the show that this value is minimum
and i got -14 and 37 for the simultaneous equations thing (AQA)
I thought this was a hard paper, wanted over 90% but unsure as of now..
Ohh good, I was like wtf? because I was expecting a nice number like always -.-
yeah I'm in upper sixth and I was thinking that a lot of people will think that it would have to be an integer in the fraction.
i got 3 - root10 for the surds question, taking an educated guess and my maths teacher said thats what he got so yay :smile:
Have to say they made this paper quite challenging

I had no idea what to do for the p(x) question-it was unfair aswell because I didn't understand the starting parts I just could not do the other bits-Darn AQA!

Got 8 for the integral and
6 for the area - tri

What did people get for the (x-3)^2-14 add the vector (3 -4) question?
I got (x+1)^2-(17 I think)
Reply 29
for the vector question I got (x+1)^2 - 14. The vector was (-3,2).
And for question 1.c and 1.d I got c=-92/11 and k=92/8 (I think not 100% sure)
I got and my teacher confirmed correct (x+1)^2 - 14
just added the 3 to the (x-2)^2 to get one, added the 2 to the -16 to get -14 and then put it back into the first equation to check and got the same thing
I think I messed up the vector translation >.< I translated as if it was starting on x^2 = 0 and wrote (x+3)^2 + 2 when It asked to translate from the given equation. FML
Reply 32
And damn for the inequality question my final answer was 6 and 7 and not 5.5<x<8.
Omg even thou I thought about it correctly Im going to lose the 3 marks so stupdly.
Argh >.<
Original post by Pomponz
Really? The integration gave me really nice numbers. Oh damn, this is going bad >.<
My shaded area was 6. 8-2(Area of triangle). >.<
What was the value of k for the first page last exercice?
I think mine was k=-92/11.
Oh confusion! >.<

your answer for the area was correct, but for k i got something like 23/2? :frown: **** aqa.
Reply 34
well I dont know anymore. I think my k was 92/8 now that I think but I am not so sure anymore.
Awwww what a disappointment.
i also got 23/2 or 11.5.
i did y2-y1/x2-x1 =8/11
0-4/k-6 = 8/11
-4 if -1/2 of 8, so k-6= -1/2 of 11, k-6=5.5, k=11.5? thats what i thought anyway
Reply 36
Yeah well k=92/8=46/4=23/2 :P
We are both correct but they might take one mark because I didn't simplify it properly.
Yeah that's right, I got 92/8 which is 11.5 but don't think you had to simplify it.
oh yeah sorry that's me being stupid and not realising 92/8 = 11.5, i'm awful with fractions
Reply 39
Original post by DPowell
See on today's paper I thought the Polynomials question wasn't too bad, it took me a bit of thinking though. I was disheartended that there were no questions such as re-writing the polynomial in the form (x+a)(x2+bx+c) (x+a)(x^2+bx+c). I'm very good at doing the division. :smile: They are also very standard questions that usually come up...

As per usual, the integration question was absolutely horrible and came out with nasty fractions for me, I gave up on it sadly.

One thing I was also disappointed about was how most of the questions were more 'puzzles' that required a lot of unusual thinking rather than straight forward knowing and applying a rule. Especially the inequalities ones!

- Dan

I agree totally, I was also hoping for some polynomial division. The question on polynomials also took me a wile to figure out and had to come back to it.
I found with the integration questions I kept getting fractions and it just looked incorrect, however looking over my workings found no mistake unless I did something stupid. I got something like 1/6-1+5 or something along those lines, its probably wrong :mad:
This is the hardest MPC1 I've seen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending