The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Pure Core 1 MPC1 Jan 13th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrPhamtastic
I am EXTREMELY confident that I range between 90 - 100% :biggrin: EASY paper.

same :biggrin:
Original post by louisjevans
same :biggrin:

How did you sketch your circle? I believed I drew mine just about sitting on the x-axis at -7, but not touching the y-axis. I just need to confirm it with others because it's really bugging me xD
Reply 102
Original post by Pomponz
Hmmmmm I thought It was different from the last papers but I think I still managed to do it allright. what did you guys get in the last part of the question where they ask for the width? I got 6 and 7 but somehow a lot of people got 0<x<8 :s-smilie:

6 and 7 i got too. Because thats the only two number that fit into both the inequalities. But some of my friend put something bout 5.5??
Original post by ryanboi
6 and 7 i got too. Because thats the only two number that fit into both the inequalities. But some of my friend put something bout 5.5??

Atleast it's only a one mark question :rolleyes:
Original post by MrPhamtastic
How did you sketch your circle? I believed I drew mine just about sitting on the x-axis at -7, but not touching the y-axis. I just need to confirm it with others because it's really bugging me xD

i did that :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by Pomponz
Really? The integration gave me really nice numbers. Oh damn, this is going bad >.<
My shaded area was 6. 8-2(Area of triangle). >.<
What was the value of k for the first page last exercice?
I think mine was k=-92/11.
Oh confusion! >.<

shaded area was right 2. I got that too but i got a positive 92/11. The equation was 11y=8x-92.
we finding k and y is 0, so x should be positive.
Original post by ryanboi
shaded area was right 2. I got that too but i got a positive 92/11. The equation was 11y=8x-92.
we finding k and y is 0, so x should be positive.

S0 11y=0 and so 0=8x-92 so the answer therefore is 92=8x ... 92/8 = x = 11.5 soz bro -you will only drop 1 tho so never fear :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by KING2011BOB
S0 11y=0 and so 0=8x-92 so the answer therefore is 92=8x ... 92/8 = x = 11.5 soz bro -you will only drop 1 tho so never fear :smile:

Sorry lol but i type the wrong thing. I did put 92/8 :smile: lol phew was looking at someone post writing c=92/11. lol

What did you get for width of garden?
Original post by ryanboi
Sorry lol but i type the wrong thing. I did put 92/8 :smile: lol phew was looking at someone post writing c=92/11. lol

5.5<x<8
Original post by ryanboi

I put it was 8 because -12 width is impossible but I think i messed up the inequalities somehow tbh

I got x>8 or x<-12,
Reply 110
Original post by louisjevans
5.5<x<8

Dammit ! was aiming for 100 UMS :frown: lost one mark !:frown: i put 6 and 7 which kinda make sense but forgot bout the decimal place !
Reply 111
Original post by KING2011BOB
I put it was 8 because -12 width is impossible but I think i messed up the inequalities somehow tbh

I got x>8 or x<-12,

no the inequality is -12<x<8
Reply 112
I'm soooooo upset...it was a horrible paper...but i'm glad i'm not the only one who found it hard.
Reply 113
do you guys reckon they will lower down the grade boundaries, so that people can still get 100 UMS without getting full marks??
Majority people from my school actually found the math paper alright.
Reply 114
Original post by ryanboi
Dammit ! was aiming for 100 UMS :frown: lost one mark !:frown: i put 6 and 7 which kinda make sense but forgot bout the decimal place !

Yeah that happened to me as well. I was aiming for 100UMS and put 6 and 7 and completly forgot about 5.5 >.<
Reply 115
Original post by Dirtybit
Atleast it's only a one mark question :rolleyes:

You sure it was only one mark? I could swere the exercise was worth 3 marks. :frown:
I thought the paper was fairly fine but very awkward in some places.
The only ones I think I got wrong were the range of values for the width of the garden (which I actually thought was 5.5 < x < 8 but thought that it was too complex for one mark so put 6,7.. :frown: ) and also there was one were it said "show that x=-1 is a minimum" I think it was 3 marks..
my maths teacher said one mark for stating dy/dx = 0
one mark for d2y/dx2 > 0
one mark for hence minimum, and i forgot the dy/dx = 0, i think a lot of others may have done that too :/
I really hope I got over 90% though
Reply 117
Original post by Pomponz
You sure it was only one mark? I could swere the exercise was worth 3 marks. :frown:

you'll get method marks probably
Reply 118
Original post by AndyHoughton
Yes the discriminant was really ridiculous, in the end i think i got
-96k^2 +56k + 96 =0
changed the signs, divided by 8 then got it
then the also ridiculous factorising which took me 5+ minutes to figure out it went from
12k^2 - 7k -12=0 to
(4k+3)(3k-4)=0
getting k as -3/4 and 4/3

I got that too, though I didn't cancel it out by 8 so spent the best part of 10 minutes -____-. Feel kind of dumb now in retrospect.

I don't think I got some of that question right though.

EMZ=]
Reply 119
Original post by Alex0619
you'll get method marks probably

I hope so. It was the only exercise I got wrong. If its worth only 1 mark there's still a chance to get 100UMS but if it is 3 marks then I think ill get something around the 90's. I don't think my method was that great as I worked some stuff in my head and didnt actually write down....Ah well :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending