The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Pure Core 1 MPC1 Jan 13th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Freddy12345
It send show that x=-1 is a minimum, so I just stated straight away d2y, rather talking about dy/dx=0, and then showing d2y>0. Don't think you have to mention the dy/dx, because it already stated it was a minimum.

You are probably right but as I wasn't 100% sure I decided to say something about dy/dx=0.
It send show that x=-1 is a minimum, so I just stated straight away d2y, rather talking about dy/dx=0, and then showing d2y>0. Don't think you have to mention the dy/dx, because it already stated it was a minimum.

Yeah that's what I thought, I got worried then -.- lol I've dropped enough silly marks as it is!
Original post by adam_wad
Yeah for that 0<x<8 you use the inequality from the previous part of the question, which was -12<x<8 but cause lengths can't be negative it's just 0<x<8.

you're partly right, however, 2x>11, so x>5.5
5.5<x<8 was the right answer
Reply 143
Original post by Pomponz
You sure it was only one mark? I could swere the exercise was worth 3 marks. :frown:

no it was only one mark. Well everyone is finding it hard so maybe me and you still have chance of getting 100 UMS
Reply 144
Original post by MrPhamtastic
I am EXTREMELY confident that I range between 90 - 100% :biggrin: EASY paper.

sameeee....i don't get how people are saying that the format has changed...i thought it was easier than most past papers...
Reply 145
I personally don't think this paper was any harder than past papers. There are some new questions which kinda tricky but most of them are old questions but just ask in different ways

I really hope you're right! I'm going to check on monday on the model solutions the maths department put up and hopefully you won't have to mention it :smile:
Reply 147
Original post by AndyHoughton
I really hope you're right! I'm going to check on monday on the model solutions the maths department put up and hopefully you won't have to mention it :smile:

Tbh I don't think you need dy/dx because every time a question ask you bout minimum or maximum, is always the d2y/dx2 that tells you the answer. Whats so difference about this time is that it asked you to prove it.
Reply 148
Original post by ryanboi
no it was only one mark. Well everyone is finding it hard so maybe me and you still have chance of getting 100 UMS

Hmmm Yeah I hope you are right!
Reply 149
I think there are two two sets of values for C and D, one which is c= -14 and d = 37 and other one where c = 14 and d = 93, because I remember one of the equations which is 2c - d + 65 = 0 and both of these sets of values work the equation. Can someone remember another equation?
Reply 150
Original post by Miyata
I think there are two two sets of values for C and D, one which is c= -14 and d = 37 and other one where c = 14 and d = 93, because I remember one of the equations which is 2c - d + 65 = 0 and both of these sets of values work the equation. Can someone remember another equation?

No c=14 and d=93 would not be the right answer because the other equation is 3c+d+5=0 and it doesn't fit into this equation
I only really messed up on the polynomials question where I got fractions for some odd reason...

And for the width one marker, I didn't really know what they were asking tbh. So I put 8 metres as you can't have a negative width.

It wasn't so bad, but it WAS a bit filthy in places. But most of the trick questions were not so bad except for the two mentioned questions...
Hmmm guys what did you get as the minimum point? I know its a very easy question but i forgot to revise it:colondollar:
Reply 153
Original post by ryanboi
No c=14 and d=93 would not be the right answer because the other equation is 3c+d+5=0 and it doesn't fit into this equation

Do you remember the whole thing before working out? Because I got another equation... FML if it's wrong, but i hope I'm write, coz if I lost mark for this and then for the question before then I'm gonna cry...
Reply 154
Original post by Stephanie-
What limits did you use for that integration question? I wasn't sure what they were, I used 0 and 8, hopefully Ill get marks for my working :smile:

Didn't it give the limits as 1 and -1 in the question? :s-smilie:
Reply 155
Original post by Miyata
Do you remember the whole thing before working out? Because I got another equation... FML if it's wrong, but i hope I'm write, coz if I lost mark for this and then for the question before then I'm gonna cry...

well first question was to sub it f(-2) because it is aid (x+2) will give a remainder of -150

f(x)=x3+cx2+dx-12=-150

so first question answer is 2c - d + 65 = 0

Second was (x-3) is a factor

f(3)=27+9c+3d-12=0

so it would be 3c+d+5=0

thats the question before the c and d question
Original post by Mocking_bird

Original post by Mocking_bird
I'm not sure what i thought of this! It seemed okay-ish... but looking here i know i definitely dropped marks on finding C and D and a few other parts.

I think I did awfully. I should really stop looking at post-exam threads like this, for my sanity's sake... :facepalm:
Does anyone know if TSR have got the answers up for the paper? they did for my GCSE papers last july, like, the evening of the exam.
Original post by Etoile
Didn't it give the limits as 1 and -1 in the question? :s-smilie:

No, it was the last question on the paper, it was like 7 marks, you had to figure out that you had to integrate the equation and find the limits on your own, as well as the area of the shaded region. :confused:
Reply 159
Original post by Stephanie-
No, it was the last question on the paper, it was like 7 marks, you had to figure out that you had to integrate the equation and find the limits on your own, as well as the area of the shaded region. :confused:

What, on the 'show that' ones on question 7? I thought they were to do with the discriminant. :s-smilie: You are talking about AQA, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending