Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How to get work experience in the science sector for a first year undergraduate?

Announcements Posted on
GCSE grade boundaries are here - GO> 23-08-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I've looked around on a lot of sites for summer work experience this year. I've emailed quite a few places and recieved minimal responses. I really,really, really want some work experience in the science sector, even if it is hospital work or whatever!

    Has anyone had this problem before and managed to overcome it :confused:

    Really looking for some advice thanks!

    Have you tried asking around at your University, some lectures will let students do a summer and if your really lucky they might even have a bursary.


    Keep trying! Cast the net wider and be prepared to be mobile. Also, don't worry, proper placements in industry are much more accessible after your second year.

    It's very difficult in your first year. Best bet is to send a nice email or go and talk to a lecturer directly. If possible, do a bit of background on what kind of research they carry out so you can be enthusiastic about it. Then ask if they take on any first year students to help them out over the summer. Might not be successful but it's worth a shot, and even if it doesn't work this year if you ask again next year they may remember you.

    Your lecturers are usually the best ones to talk to. The southeast is a biotech powerhouse but probably not so much in hertfordshire. If you can commute to London, Cambridge, Oxford or Norwich (surprisingly strong for genetics/ bioinformatics/ plant biology/ env sciences) then obviously the opportunities become somewhat better.

    Don't knock hospital work btw. For the most part it's the same procedures though you should really have your hep b vac for work there as you won't be allowed to work on human tissue samples without.

    Ask for voluntary lab work or do a summer research internship?

    What are you looking for - clinical or lab work?
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Ask for voluntary lab work or do a summer research internship?

    What are you looking for - clinical or lab work?
    Both would be awesome.


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 6, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

How do you sleep?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.